Singapore Expats Forum

Happy Chinese New Year -- i need help

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Rakamboj

Postby Rakamboj » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:54 am

This is my first experince to enjoy and be a part of celebration that is called Chinese New year.I wish all my friend and member of this community a very happy and prosperous new year.

This is my first and may be last celebration in singapore since i am leaving back to Houston for my next project.

Due to some misguidance ,I was really reluctant to talk to people here but all thanks to SMS who pushed me to break the ice and i made 2 friends here in singapore and is enjoying their company. I now really feel that singaporian are really nice people to have fun with and enjoy your weekends.Even though singapore is small but it become big once your reach out to the people out there.

I wanted this Celebration to be different so i am asking for what should i do to make this New year eve a life long moment to rememeber and be remembered by my 2 lovely and dear friends.

Can somebody suggest me what gift should i buy that is considered good for my friends and their family's ?
What is the usual gift that one must take to the friend house on New year eve ? Please help me with some great ideas

SMS -- I really thank you for pointing out the mistake i was about to make and helping people out there to come out of their shells and pride.Mind it i am not that bad as you misunderstood me.Anyway i am flying back on 25th of Feb and someday i would try to meet you in person and make you my friend as well.

Thanks every body and keep posting.

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Happy Chinese New Year -- i need help

Postby joop » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 2:21 pm

Rakamboj wrote:This is my first experince to enjoy and be a part of celebration that is called Chinese New year.I wish all my friend and member of this community a very happy and prosperous new year.

This is my first and may be last celebration in singapore since i am leaving back to Houston for my next project.

Due to some misguidance ,I was really reluctant to talk to people here but all thanks to SMS who pushed me to break the ice and i made 2 friends here in singapore and is enjoying their company. I now really feel that singaporian are really nice people to have fun with and enjoy your weekends.Even though singapore is small but it become big once your reach out to the people out there.

I wanted this Celebration to be different so i am asking for what should i do to make this New year eve a life long moment to rememeber and be remembered by my 2 lovely and dear friends.

Can somebody suggest me what gift should i buy that is considered good for my friends and their family's ?
What is the usual gift that one must take to the friend house on New year eve ? Please help me with some great ideas

SMS -- I really thank you for pointing out the mistake i was about to make and helping people out there to come out of their shells and pride.Mind it i am not that bad as you misunderstood me.Anyway i am flying back on 25th of Feb and someday i would try to meet you in person and make you my friend as well.

The norm is to bring a pair of big mandarin oranges to greet others especially the elderly. Gifts are not always compulsory, but nice as a thought. You can try giving chocolates, grilled BBQ pork ( aka Bak Kwa ), pork floss, cookies, can of abalone ( if budget fits! ) :)
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Happy Chinese New Year -- i need help

Postby saint73 » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:08 pm

Rakamboj wrote:This is my first experince to enjoy and be a part of celebration that is called Chinese New year.I wish all my friend and member of this community a very happy and prosperous new year.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Are this two lovely frenz is chinese... :roll:
You must know what is your budget...??? :wink: http://www.singaporeflowershop.com/Chinese_New_Year.asp

:roll: Due to some misguidance ,I was really reluctant to talk to people here :mrgreen:

No one is perfect in this world, but we try to forgive and forget which pple made us angry :x sometimes we might offend pple even we didn't notice it... :D ..Take it easy as your life will more happily... :wave:

\:D/ Take care..... :wave:
Last edited by saint73 on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:16 pm

Rakamboj,

A pair of oranges for each friend would be recommended. They will then return you a pair each when you leave. This is for good luck all around.

Joop had good suggestions on giving foodstuff. Pineapple tarts, love letters etc will also do. Any confectionery will be overflowing with suitable New Year goodies. Most households will have too much of these already though, for guests.

Not sure about your friends, but if I were them and knowing you were leaving Singapore for good soon, I would prefer something to remember you by, perhaps something symbolic of your country.

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Postby saint73 » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:37 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Rakamboj,

A pair of oranges for each friend would be recommended. They will then return you a pair each when you leave. This is for good luck all around.

Joop had good suggestions on giving foodstuff. Pineapple tarts, love letters etc will also do. Any confectionery will be overflowing with suitable New Year goodies. Most households will have too much of these already though, for guests.

Not sure about your friends, but if I were them and knowing you were leaving Singapore for good soon, I would prefer something to remember you by, perhaps something symbolic of your country.

:roll: I am guessing one of his lovely gd frenz is SMS...Since he have mentioned it... :mrgreen:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:13 pm

No, it is not me that he refers to. It was only my humble advice off the board via PM to which he refers. However, he's already given me the best gift of all....."thank you". That is the best gift he could give to me. I think he already knows this.

Rakamboj,

I wish you a memorable holiday and a safe return journey.

sms

Rakamboj

Postby Rakamboj » Tue, 13 Feb 2007 9:47 am

Thanks to everybody for all the good ideas that u gave and a big thanks to saint73. The website is really helpful for buying gift and i was finally able to get the one i wanted.

Now as the time for me is coming close to leave Singapore,i am feeling really down and i wish i could return back sometime in future and now i will be taking back the memories of singapore and my 2 friends back with me.

Thanks all of you ! and Happy New year. :)

tea4two

Postby tea4two » Fri, 16 Feb 2007 3:51 pm

have a good trip home and see you around soon.

tea4two

Postby tea4two » Fri, 16 Feb 2007 3:52 pm

oh, forgot to mention that even back in Houston, you could drop by the site pour un petit cou cou; i.e., to say hi.