Singapore Expats

Health Insurance recommendations / Anecdotes

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Deefa
Regular
Regular

Health Insurance recommendations / Anecdotes

Post by Deefa » Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:00 pm

Hey all ... Sorry if this has been hashed through before, i had a search and didnt find much.

Looks like i will be rocking up to my new job in early April so now trying to get all the finer points sorted.

As i will be contracting (self employed) i am having to organise everything myself, hey hum ... anyway ...

Health Insurance

Can anyone make any recomendations for good health cover for a thirtysomething couple with no sprogs??

Had a look at the BUPA / PPP types but was wondering if there are others that i am missing.

Also, are there specific things that i should look for in the policy that may be specific to Singa and (if people dont mind disclosing) what sort of prices are people paying?

Cheers all!

John

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:27 am

Deefa wrote:Hey all ... Sorry if this has been hashed through before, i had a search and didnt find much.

Looks like i will be rocking up to my new job in early April so now trying to get all the finer points sorted.

As i will be contracting (self employed) i am having to organise everything myself, hey hum ... anyway ...

Health Insurance

Can anyone make any recomendations for good health cover for a thirtysomething couple with no sprogs??

Had a look at the BUPA / PPP types but was wondering if there are others that i am missing.

Also, are there specific things that i should look for in the policy that may be specific to Singa and (if people dont mind disclosing) what sort of prices are people paying?

Cheers all!

John
It's good to hear that you were successful in getting an entrepass! Especially as you indicated that you would be self employed. As self-employment goes, it is rather hard to get an entrepass approved. Your business plan submission must have rocked!

NTUC, and Great Eastern are two Insurance agencies that do the majority of Health policies in Singapore (including the government medisave program for Citizens & Permanent Residents).

Check here: Insurance Companies
    SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
    Governor
    Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 10 Feb 2007 1:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
    Deefa wrote:Hey all ... Sorry if this has been hashed through before, i had a search and didnt find much.

Health Insurance

Cheers all!

John
    It's good to hear that you were successful in getting an entrepass! Especially as you indicated that you would be self employed. As self-employment goes, it is rather hard to get an entrepass approved. Your business plan submission must have rocked!

NTUC, and Great Eastern are two Insurance agencies that do the majority of Health policies in Singapore (including the government medisave program for Citizens & Permanent Residents).

Check here: Insurance Companies
      I sinecerly believe that self employment in this business is the way forward, how ever it does need strict monitoring. What I think is staange is why self employment.

The only thing I can think of after 5 barons and an Amsterdam, is if i will make it at 8.a.m when it is 1.11. age you know, how it is~

Deefa
      Regular
      Regular

Post by Deefa » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 7:03 pm

Cheers for the responses guys ... Both of you have been there to help on every one of my posts!! I owe you a beer or 2 when I arrive!!

First - rather than sounding like I actually know what I am doing I should ... I did not apply for an EntrePass, but a spouse PR (wife is from Singa, which I guess is somewhat like cheating)

Second - its not rubber stamped yet, but every time I call the hotline, it has progressed a step further, and there has been no nasty letters generated and its been in teh system for 10 weeks .... 2 more to go :D) . Mind you, we handed the MoM so much paperwork that they are probably still up to their neck in it ....

Third - I have been offered a role on a contract basis. (IT PM) which involves me either setting up a Ltd Company or be a Sole Trader.

so its not all signed off yet, but I am just trying to ensure that if / when it does get the stamp, I have everything else lined up, as (pending PR approval) my future employers want me to start in the first week of April...

EEEEEEK ...

sundaymorningstaple
      Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 9:28 pm

Deefa wrote:First - rather than sounding like I actually know what I am doing I should ... I did not apply for an EntrePass, but a spouse PR (wife is from Singa, which I guess is somewhat like cheating)
      Not cheating at all. :oops: That's how I got my PR as well many years ago.
      Only difference was that I was already here for 11 years when I applied. :wink:
      SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Deefa
      Regular
      Regular

Post by Deefa » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
      Deefa wrote:First - rather than sounding like I actually know what I am doing I should ... I did not apply for an EntrePass, but a spouse PR (wife is from Singa, which I guess is somewhat like cheating)
      Not cheating at all. :oops: That's how I got my PR as well many years ago.
      Only difference was that I was already here for 11 years when I applied. :wink:
      so that was you i heard quietly whistling in the corner there was it :wink: