Singapore Expats

Moving from Perth to singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ausiegirl

Moving from Perth to singapore

Post by ausiegirl » Thu, 08 Feb 2007 1:48 pm

Hi there, I need some advice from other aussies please (anyone else with advice please feel free to add)? We will be moving to singapore as soon as our boys are accepted into schools, hopefully for Sep new year start. Husband will move in March. Our boys are 13 and 10, anyone moved with this aged kids before? Husband will fly in out of singapore (10 days away 5 home, really same if we stay in Perth) and I just want to know if it is worth moving. Only been to singapore once and loved it. I'm a bit of a gypsy and love moving. Were in mining industry and move heaps. We have a big house by the beach and love our life but I love change and want to know if there is anyone with advice. I am really scared that I will be lonely as I love people and the gym. I also love cooking and want to know the quality of meat? Im a personal trainer and love my protein eat meat every day, cant go without (but very fussy about quality). We are looking at condo's in orchard, holland, Bukit timah. Thanks!

ausiegirl

still from ausie girl re moving

Post by ausiegirl » Thu, 08 Feb 2007 9:01 pm

What I didn't get to say in my first email was that I am very excited about moving, but my 13 year old is very upset and need some convincing. I am south african born but a very proud aussie. I have lived in many places and can make a home anywhere as look as i can find good food and great wine. I am not very crafty so i was just wondering what the ladies do during the day apart from shopping as I have a masters degree in that.... Maybe Singapore might not be the best place to move to. Does everyone drive around? I am a bit scared of driving, might be a public transport girl, even though I dont use it at home. I guess it takes a while to get to know your way around the place before it feels comfortable to drive.
Another question, are we allowed to bring any food stuff over in the move, eg spices, tinned stuff?

Thanks everyone.

iis

Post by iis » Sat, 10 Feb 2007 1:03 am

I'm not aussie, but I lived in Perth for 2.5 yrs & now living in Singapore for 1.5 yrs. In my point of view, there are several major differences:

1. The pace of life
Generally Spore has a faster pace & very competitive compare to Perth
People here almost always rushing all the time, specially taxi driver.... as I take cab almost everyday...

2. Housing
Living in a shoe box which called condo is far diffrent with house, specially if you mention yours is big. Children can't run/ jump at home otherwise your neighbour downstair will make noise about it (like mine... :)

3. Transport
Most people in Perth has a car as it is very affordable, while that's not the case in Spore. Car is very expensive, so do the running cost of it. Most people take public transport, good & affordable but taxi not always easy, ie taking taxi in certain time of the days can be difficult, i.e. peak hours, when it's raining

4. Size
singapore is an island, for the first 3-6 mths you'll be busy exploring parts of singapore, but afterwards you might cover every parts of it....
But the good thing, you can explore the neighbouring countries afterwards.., Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand etc

5. Crowd
Spore seems to be 'never sleeps' , there're still lots of people at MRT stations @ 11 PM (which makes me fascinated when I just come from Perth). It's late night shopping every day here in Spore as major dept stores closed at 9.30 pm everyday...

other than that everything seems to be generally the same, no problem abt meat here, beef are imported fr either Australia, NZ/ Brazil?
Easy to find australian Dairy products. Generally, no problem about food, you can find good quality & varieties of food stuff here...

Personally, I think Perth is not as stressful as Spore maybe bcoz of the personal space given...(in spore people mostly lives in condo, apartment while in Perth more to landed house...) & the pace of living...