Singapore Expats Forum

Bad service by manager at Pasta Brava

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

rupertstreet

Bad service by manager at Pasta Brava

Postby rupertstreet » Fri, 02 Feb 2007 3:47 pm

Pasta Brava (“PB”
Last edited by rupertstreet on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Fri, 02 Feb 2007 5:14 pm

This kind of attitude truely embarassed us locals. Unfortunately, there are more of this person around. But then again, that server might be an expat himself. You never know until he/she shows us the ID card. ( Language is not a medium now to judge the nationality ). Anyway, be it expat or local, people working in the service sector should not be condesceding to all customers.

:?

Rakamboj

Postby Rakamboj » Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:19 am

I donot understand this.It is a fact that Caucasians are served better than us asian.
What does this People in service industry think is still a mystery to me. We also pay the same as those Caucasians pays for.

Infact i think those people whose serve us in Hawker centre have more etiquette than thoe who are in the so called big resturants and shopping Malls.

Without any training, the serving people in Hawker centre are so polite that it really impress me.

I think the manger should take lessons from them.

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Postby lost_canuck » Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:49 am

not really a reason, but many might think white people will give them big tips?

rupertstreet

Postby rupertstreet » Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:54 am

actually, the manager's Filipino. At least, that's what I gather from his accent.

I have been to all sorts of restaurants and encountered all sorts of bad service, but this is the first time I have come across such an arrogant prude. Most of the time, they are just rude but this one really takes the cake. And seriously, regardless what level or class of restaurant you go to, you should provide good/decent service because that's what the service industry is all about. Of course, you don't have go to the extra mile if you don't want to (although you'd be appreciated for it), but the least you can do is to be polite. And owners should be mindful of what goes on because they're the ones who stand to lose from all this.

The bottomline is, good Italian restaurants in Singapore are dime-a-dozen. If you piss-off your customers, good luck trying to convince them to come back.

Just to add on, I once dined at Corduroy and Finch and when we asked the manager for some sugar (to go with our 4 cups of coffee), he didn't say a thing, disappeared for 5 minutes, re-appeared and threw ONE pack of sugar as he passed by our table. I've never had any wait staff throw anything on my table before.

The disappointing thing isn't just the incident itself but the lack of response by the management when I wrote to them. Where's the accountability? Damage control is in the PR and when there isn't any, the damage is irreparable. Maybe the management at Corduroy are too stuck up to deal with customer's complaints. But I can assure you that it is attitude like that which will spell the downfall of the establishment, maybe not immediately, but certainly over time. Don't believe me, just google Corduroy and Finch and you'd see loads of entries, most of which are complaints about their service more than anything else.
Last edited by rupertstreet on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Postby lost_canuck » Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:54 am

trust me I believe you, I have been on the bad end of the stick when it comes to bad service, The worst I experienced was in the UK, and Denmark. We went to a restaurant in Denmark and there was a que to get in, we got on the list, finally sat down at the table, someone eventually came to the table, my husband speaks norwegian (and they can understnd) anyway, we finally order (I appreciate it is very busy) we get our drinks (price is even higher than singapore for a beer) Like 6 pounds ($18 sing) and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and watch new clients come and order, and eat, and NO ONE would even make eye contact.

I got up and walked out, I tried to speak to someone, who acted like they didn't know what I was trying to say, So I thanked them for the drinks, and left!!!

In canada tipping is where the service industry make their money, in the UK, Denmark, and I find in Singapore, tipping is not customary a included service tax is added, so where is the incentive???

Some think tipping is rude, but I think it is a good practice, because if I get good service I leave a good tip. Not because you need the money but because you made me feel respected and appreciated as a customer and want to let you know.

Don't get me wrong there is bad service in Canada too and they get no money.

I would speak to the manager, and then if that is not satisfactory speak to the owner. Losing money is bad business practice and you have put me off going there :) so shame on them

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:07 pm

at the bottom of that paragon shopping mall
there's a chinese / chicken rice place...the name escapes me. it's called "Mom's Home cooking" or some weird name like that.

i had the same experience. the guy working the front was a complete a$$hole. it was 11:30 am so no one was in the restaurant. we walk up and the guy seems mad that we want to eat there. then we get seated, and i literally have to get up out of my table and punch the guy in the face to take our order. this was after numerous times of making eye contact with the guy and waving him over and him giving me the "ok one second" hand wave.

then we get the food and i ask for a few other extra things (such as a fork and spoon and an extra bowl so i can try my partner's dish) and this sseems to take another 10 minutes for me to get my fork and spoon.

i ain't going back there ever!