Singapore Expats

I'm U.S. , Girlfriend is PRC - what's best for us?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mas6zd

I'm U.S. , Girlfriend is PRC - what's best for us?

Post by mas6zd » Fri, 02 Feb 2007 2:43 am

Hi, all,

I'm considering a relo to Singapore with my (US) company. The stay would be ~1yr.

I'm a U.S. passport holder, and my girlfriend is a Chinese passport holder.

My company will be able to help get a P1 pass for me, but I'm not willing to go without my girlfriend.

We're curious to know what's the best and / or safest approach for the both of us?

I've heard that there's a couple of options:

1. Girlfriend hopes and prays for an employment pass - but this might not happen. She's a U.S. based lawyer / law clerk, and from what I can tell this is not in demand.

2. We apply for LTSV, and hope that we'll be recognized as common law. Not sure what the typical requirements are here. My company is willing to help if there's paperwork / sponsorship involved.

3. Can my Chinese girlfriend cross the causeway to JB every couple of weeks, if needed, or would she also need a Malaysian visa? What would be the process - she exits Sing, enters Malaysia, turns around and reenters Sing? Or she exits Sing, goes to no-mand's land, and turns around again?

Any other options or advice?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-mas6zd

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Fri, 02 Feb 2007 7:32 am

why not get married?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:45 am

My company will be able to help get a P1 pass for me, but I'm not willing to go without my girlfriend.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder! :cool: Cut the strings Pal or be brave and put a noose around your kneck (Get Married)