Singapore Expats

CA to SING What should I ask for???

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
bundhar

CA to SING What should I ask for???

Post by bundhar » Fri, 26 Jan 2007 2:38 pm

I will be moving to Singapore from California with a wife and 3 very young kids. My company is going to speak to me next week about the expat package and Ive been told that I will be able to negotiate for certain additional items? So from expats over there now, what would you have me ask for? What is part of your package? What do you wish you negotiated for? Any help would begreatly appreciated.

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Fri, 26 Jan 2007 4:19 pm

what do you think you want? I would ask about medical coverage, housing allowances, dental coverage, flights home once a year, ummmm cars here are deadly expensive....Image

chicagoans

Post by chicagoans » Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:05 pm

We are also relocating soon as well. Ask for car allowance, trips home, schooling allowance, housing allowance, medical coverage (find out what is paid for and what is not) esp. with 3 young kids. Ask for tax help, you'll need it when filing. The International Schools are very expensive. Housing is also very expensive. If you are planning on eating western food, expect to pay almost double. Also, if you are interested in joining the American Club, see if the company will pay for some of the joining fees. I say ask for as much as you can, all they can say is no! Also, if you are moving a pet, that will also cost $$. Also, find out how much they will pay for shipping your personal effects, and if they allow air ship on some things. Also see if they will pay for storage for things you are not bringing. Our storage will not be paid for, so I am in the process of getting rid of LOTS of stuff!!! ugh....