Singapore Expats Forum

Cockroach's Flying

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Cockroach's Flying

Postby ksl » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 1:56 am

This is the first time in the two years I have been here, that I have seen more than a few cockroaches more actively flying, don't wish to worry anyone, but I believe this to be a sign of earthquake activity!

Could be in Indonesia, cockroaches pick up the ground vibrations and they know it's time to take off, especially true, if there is more than the odd one flying around. Seen it many times in Taiwan in the home, the sleeze bags creep out of there hiding places, and fly clumsily, in all directions, get iin your hair and all that stuff yuck!

Although my wild cat is having the time of her life catching them and drowning them in her water, after she gets bored teasing them.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 2:52 am

Seems you are becoming our next Grim Reaper :P but you could be right. Here are some links;

http://www.thebigjewel.com/natureslittleseismographs/

http://www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/Earthquake/1990LuzonEQ_Monograph/pp181/pp181.html

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Postby lost_canuck » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 1:25 pm

LuxEterna

Postby LuxEterna » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 3:46 pm

ksl,
your cat knows how to drown cockroaches??? amazing.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 4:32 pm

LuxEterna wrote:ksl,

Yes she loves to play with them until she gets bored, then takes, them to her drinking water dish, and plops them in!

[img][img]http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6641/cat128gu.jpg[/img][/img]

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 6:40 pm

ksl wrote:

Yes she loves to play with them until she gets bored, then takes, them to her drinking water dish, and plops them in!

ksl,

In my experience, my cats just played with whatever cockroach they can get their hands on til the roach dies from exhaustion.

But about the earthquake, I was told that Singapore doesn't experience any earthquakes.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 6:55 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:But about the earthquake, I was told that Singapore doesn't experience any earthquakes.

Ksl never said Singapore does, merely it was a sign of possible 'earthquake activity' of which Singapore may experience some of the vibrations as the country has done before!

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:36 pm

I have experiences with flying roaches. :-) When I used to live in Bangalore in 1992, the area I used to live had a lake nearby. And the climate was just nice for a roach family.

So one fine morning, I woke to find couple of roaches firmly perched on my blanket. Without going into the embarrasing details of the utter chaos (believe me! even as a single guy I could create chaos :-) ), the damn things started buzzing around. Yet again, leaving out nudity, obscene language and the hunt for my shuttle racket which resulted in me chasing the two buggers in the bedroom and just about forgetting that the balcony door was open and my neighbours were in their balcony watching this scene unfold. :oops: Yep! They escaped. Sons of a bitches actually escaped. :D :D :lol:

Never again did I keep my balcony door open and I had a can of insect killer spray right within the hands reach. And not to mention the morning ritual of spraying the bedroom before I leave for work EVERY DAY!!!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:53 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:
ksl wrote:

ksl,

In my experience, my cats just played with whatever cockroach they can get their hands on til the roach dies from exhaustion.

But about the earthquake, I was told that Singapore doesn't experience any earthquakes.

Yes it's strange, that I always find them in her drinking water, she always makes a strange meow, when playing with them also, kind of a hunters scream of i'm coming to get you! ha! :D

True what Plavt wrote! the critters can feel the vibrations underground, It as been said that cockroaches can survive a nuclear explosion, and in fact lived through the great bang, that wiped out life, not that i have done any research on the facts.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:24 pm

Cockroaches and rats were the only living things found at ground zero in heroshima and nagansaki after the bombs.

We always had the flying buggers when I lived in Seletar Camp. No way to stop them either as the old black & whites had 14 foot ceilings with the open venilation from 9 to 13 feet. They would fly in, get caught in the downdraft of the huge 6' old fans and land in our laps while watching TV. Was alway good for the quick exercise in the mad scramble that followed! :lol:

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Postby Grim Reaper » Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:14 am

Plavt wrote:Seems you are becoming our next Grim Reaper :P

I will come after him, if so he tries... :wink:

Wild cat ok, copycat, no way! 8-)
Time will come....

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 23 Jan 2007 5:41 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:
Plavt wrote:Seems you are becoming our next Grim Reaper :P

I will come after him, if so he tries... :wink:

Wild cat ok, copycat, no way! 8-)

:lol: :lol:

batliwala
Editor
Editor

Postby batliwala » Thu, 25 Jan 2007 6:50 pm

I had a similar experience 2 weeks back. A cockroach flew into my study room through 5th Storey window in the wee hours. I never knew cockroaches could fly so high.. damnh it.

Cheers,

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:22 pm

isn't it when they fly is when they are mating?

mho

Postby mho » Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:12 am

talk of flying creatures at home , I've had a mynah and some pigeons fly into my balcony and then into my living room. Fun to watch them panic as they try to find their way out.

Flying cockroaches...eww.

Thats one cool cat ksl.

:D