Singapore Expats Forum

need help with a getting a job..

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

meandyou

need help with a getting a job..

Postby meandyou » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 7:12 pm

hi guys..first of all thanks for a great forum you all have here..

well i visited singapore twice in transits and i reallly loveed the place and would like to come get a job here...

my question is am a network engineer with 4 years experence and i live currently in New Zealand. whast the chances of me geting a job there and whcih sites can i visit where i will get responses and intrest etc?

what kind of salary would i be on if you guys roughy know...and do i have to b there to apply for jobs or can i do all that over the net..your help would be apprecaited..

thanks

jpatokal

Re: need help with a getting a job..

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 8:08 pm

meandyou wrote:my question is am a network engineer with 4 years experence and i live currently in New Zealand. whast the chances of me geting a job there and whcih sites can i visit where i will get responses and intrest etc?

what kind of salary would i be on if you guys roughy know...and do i have to b there to apply for jobs or can i do all that over the net..your help would be apprecaited..

If applying from overseas without any residency status in Singapore, your employer would have to jump through hoops to get you. Why should they? What can you do that distinguishes you from the competition?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

meandyou

Postby meandyou » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 8:11 pm

well i have the nz passport which i belive entitles you to work in singapore and the emplyer can do the rest..i dont know why you got angry all of a sudden.im jst asking a question here...isnt it supposed to be for expats or what??

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 8:36 pm

Nobody's angry, just honest.

Network engineers with 4 to 6 years experience are dime a dozen here. Polytech diploma's come out of the poly with mcse's and ccna's and will work for 1.5 ~ 2 K/mo. Still want to come? What vertical skillset do you have that is in short supply here? That's all that will get you in. Otherwise, locals will do unless you have something different.

You NZ passport doesn't allow you do to anything that a Philippines or Malaysian, or Indian passport allows, or US or UK or Oz for that matter. It's nothing special.

sms

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 9:21 pm

That pointed out by Jpatokal and Sms is the same in any country unless it is short of people to do menial tasks and decides to allow immigrants to fill the shortfall. My assessment of what Singapore's job market for foreigners is : if you don't have a degree and several years experience in some specialized field -forget it!. Not least the reason I don't look for a job in Singapore.

Starting your own business may be the only option.