Singapore Expats

Pilot Interview

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 6:37 pm

RaMz wrote:
- At least 1.65 m in height
- Medically fit with visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6
Thanks for the information, as I said in so many words I don't always have full details. However when they allow somebody who wears glasses there will still be certain criteria that has to be met. Binka was told the rejection was because of his Astigmatism so it is clear his eyesight is not good enough with or without glasses.
Last edited by Plavt on Sat, 09 Jun 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 6:55 pm

binka wrote:I've read thru some of Plavt's postings, and i'm under the impression that he does not know alot abt the scene here in SG, or even the scene as a whole.
In Singapore that would be true regarding pilots and to large degree here in the UK since I have little attachment or interest in this 'sphere' of work.
At the same time you do not seem to have given the requirements of the job a great deal of thought nor researched your intende profession as I am sure those details are available. Most of my posting are of a 'generic' nature. Granted some are wrong but that is due the strange nature of some of the airline advertisements and incorrect and sometimes vague information from the airline staff themselves.
A not-so-close friend of mine who has astig in the range of <100 is currently pursuing his course with SQ. Cadets that are myopic of up to 500degs are also in the course. And RSAF do take in pilots who are myopic.
You were talking about astigmatism which is different thing; see the dictionary definition. Nobody reading this board will know the full details of your 'not-so-close' friend or anybody else on course in Malaysia.
I only need to know the maximum amount of astig, the cut-off limit.
Is there such a thing?
Anyway, i've gone through LASIK more than a year ago, primarily to become a pilot. That is why i'm shocked that they look at pre-LASIK readings.
You never mentioned this but no doubt they have their reasons. There well be other details you have failed to mention, perhaps for personal reasons as is often the case. Although you should remember many industries are a law unto themselves (.i.e. they can apply what policies and laws they deem fit). :(

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 7:02 pm

Here's one place people should start more later;

http://www.alpas.org/page.php?id=5&PHPS ... cb940ed051

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 7:07 pm

See section 'Are you medically fit?'

http://www.askcaptainlim.com/asFAQs18.htm#Many

binka

Post by binka » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 11:33 pm

Plavt wrote:
binka wrote:I've read thru some of Plavt's postings, and i'm under the impression that he does not know alot abt the scene here in SG, or even the scene as a whole.
In Singapore that would be true regarding pilots and to large degree here in the UK since I have little attachment or interest in this 'sphere' of work.
At the same time you do not seem to have given the requirements of the job a great deal of thought nor researched your intende profession as I am sure those details are available. Most of my posting are of a 'generic' nature. Granted some are wrong but that is due the strange nature of some of the airline advertisements and incorrect and sometimes vague information from the airline staff themselves.
Since you have little interest or attachment in this area, we shall both wait for someone who is more inclined in this to actually provide us with enlightenment.
A not-so-close friend of mine who has astig in the range of <100 is currently pursuing his course with SQ. Cadets that are myopic of up to 500degs are also in the course. And RSAF do take in pilots who are myopic.
You were talking about astigmatism which is different thing; see the dictionary definition. Nobody reading this board will know the full details of your 'not-so-close' friend or anybody else on course in Malaysia.
what different things? im talking abt astigmatism, which is of utmost concern, and answering the myopic portion for those who are highly myopic but do not have astigmatism.

don't have to tell me the definition of astigmatism. i've had astigmatism since young, and i should know more abt it than you.
I only need to know the maximum amount of astig, the cut-off limit.
Is there such a thing?
why not? they have cut-off limit for height, why not for astigmatism? astigmatism degrees are definitive.
Anyway, i've gone through LASIK more than a year ago, primarily to become a pilot. That is why i'm shocked that they look at pre-LASIK readings.
You never mentioned this but no doubt they have their reasons. There well be other details you have failed to mention, perhaps for personal reasons as is often the case. Although you should remember many industries are a law unto themselves (.i.e. they can apply what policies and laws they deem fit). :(
ok i agree with u on this issue.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:14 am

binka wrote:Since you have little interest or attachment in this area, we shall both wait for someone who is more inclined in this to actually provide us with enlightenment.

Whinger, why don't you face it SQ is not interested in you period.

binka

Post by binka » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 4:32 am

Haha. deleted my post u puny?

chooniE

Post by chooniE » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:03 am

anyone of u here went for the interview? were there any female candidates?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:36 pm

babypink wrote:about a week or so ago, i saw an ad in the straits times recruiting cadet pilots for an overseas training session. I called them up to enquire and they simply refused to allow females into the program even if they're medically fit. :(
Sexism reigns supreme, time Asia moved into the future. :(

chooniE

Post by chooniE » Thu, 21 Jun 2007 2:01 am

babypink wrote:about a week or so ago, i saw an ad in the straits times recruiting cadet pilots for an overseas training session. I called them up to enquire and they simply refused to allow females into the program even if they're medically fit. :(
:"( so sad to hear this... being pilot is my dream.

RaMz
Regular
Regular

Post by RaMz » Thu, 21 Jun 2007 2:05 am

if asia is still in your mind, you can always be a pilot. my friend who applied for the cadet pilot post together with me, a gal, received the rejection letter as she did not make it even to the first round of interviews. no reason given as usual.

the only airline i can say in asia that's happy having female pilots is airasia. there are about 8 of them in there already. so if you can afford it, why not go ahead and fund yourself the license and later on try airasia. the returns should be good enough i guess..all the best in pursuing your dream!

chooniE

Post by chooniE » Thu, 21 Jun 2007 2:15 am

but there are female pilots at silkair o?

visitor

Post by visitor » Fri, 22 Jun 2007 8:50 pm

yes there are female pilots in Silkair, and they are recruited alongside the normal batch of cadets (SIA/SIA CARGO), and they go through ground school as well as the training for CPL/IR together. In fact, there should be 1 right now undergoing training in Seletar. SIA/Silkair unfortunately dont seem to employ too many of them (not sure if it's due to a lack of suitable candidates).

Regarding the question on Astigmatism, yes you can qualify for the position even if you have it. As to what's the limit, it's best to check with Flt Ops HR.

binka

Post by binka » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 2:48 am

visitor wrote:Regarding the question on Astigmatism, yes you can qualify for the position even if you have it. As to what's the limit, it's best to check with Flt Ops HR.
Limit should be 200 for astigmatism. If ur astig is >200 and you have done LASIK, u will still be rejected. They do look at pre-LASIK readings.

How i know? I called up. And thats the reason for my rejection.

wandee

Recruitment process

Post by wandee » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:23 am

Hi to anybody who has gone thru e cadet pilot recruitment...could you tell me the process you guys went thru from the 1st stage of recruitment...thanx!!