Singapore Expats Forum

Hotel Stay

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Hotel Stay

Postby chixchix » Tue, 16 Jan 2007 5:09 pm

I read in the papers that hotels are offering good rates to locals here during weekends. Anyone out there stayed with family at any hotel ? Do tell me about the service and if its worth it. Oh yeah ,do tell me how the spa experience was if you tried ?
Always have a smile on that face!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 20 Jan 2007 7:31 pm

A hotel is a hotel, especially at the standardized big chains (Marriott, Hyatt, Intercont, etc) offering those promos to fill up their rooms in weekends when the businessmen are away. How much is a big but mediocre breakfast buffet and having somebody else clean up the mess in the bedroom worth to you?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

provenearning

Postby provenearning » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 6:57 am

personally... I love staying at the Ritz Carlton. We do it almost every year during the Singapore Fireworks Festival because it provides excellent views of the fireworks without the hustle and bustle of the crowds. This year, I watched the fireworks while sitting in a lovely warm bubble bath... ahhh...

never tried any of the spas though.. so sorry can't comment about that.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:01 pm

Ritz Carlton,,you took the normal room is it ??

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 3:58 pm

We had a spa weekend at the Changi Village Hotel :lol: We wanted to get away from it all and celebrate our anniversary but my husband couldn't spare the time to go further afield. (Plus he popped home in the morning to feed the cats!)

The hotel is very average, the rooms are small but perfectly adequate for a short stay and it's not expensive at all. The buffet was good, but the rooftop Italian restaurant didn't live up to some of its reviews. The spa was really lovely and, when the manager found out it was our anniversary, she upgraded us to the presidential spa suite free of charge.

I love Changi Village and it was so good to walk along the boardwalk and forget we live in a very built-up city (mods - do you ever have any rental properties there?).

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 5:24 pm

Which Spa promo did you go for ? Do share with me the rates as well. Thanks ya :)

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 6:03 pm

We made up our own packages as we wanted different treatments.

http://www.theretreat.com.sg/OurSpas/About@CVH.htm

provenearning

Postby provenearning » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 6:27 pm

Ritz Carlton, we took the normal room (Marina Bay facing) but there was one time we were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost. Now that was really very nice.

mho

Postby mho » Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:51 am

....ahhh , how I long to be home !!
.... away from the plastic smiles
and the fawning hotel staff ,
and the same goddamn breakfast
spread every morning.

- an attempt at haiku by the travel weary

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 26 Jan 2007 4:51 am

We love the westin hotel and the breakfast spread that offers local and western fare. Never done the spa thingy. You can see the 3 nieghborin countries if you get a room way up highter.

It's name been changed and i can't remeber. It is the one with sogo shopping center. Oh god don't know if it is still called sogo. I don't remember what other stores is in there. But the idea is if you get a room higher up in any hotel, you get a nice lovely view. And would be wonderful for fireworks.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Fri, 26 Jan 2007 9:13 am

Do you mean the Swissotel Stamford, earthfriendly? I think that used to be the Westin. They share facilities (pool, gym, spa) with Raffles the Plaza, so the spa is the one it must seem like I have shares in as I mention it so often ;)

(I'm a member there, and have been using the spa for nearly 5 years as I really do rate it.)