Singapore Expats Forum

Where do you cut your hair?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Where do you cut your hair?

Postby Splatted » Mon, 15 Jan 2007 8:13 am

The last three places in a row I've had my hair cut have all given me bodgy hair-cut jobs...

I miss the old-fashioned continental hair dresser/barber I normally go to back in OZ. Noone beats Italians when it comes to giving good hair-cuts.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Where do you cut your hair?

Postby ksl » Mon, 15 Jan 2007 3:35 pm

Splatted wrote:The last three places in a row I've had my hair cut have all given me bodgy hair-cut jobs...

I miss the old-fashioned continental hair dresser/barber I normally go to back in OZ. Noone beats Italians when it comes to giving good hair-cuts.

I've given up worrying about it! I agree with you it's a little like sheep shearing, although I've not tried the expensive salons. I ideal is to have a hair clipper at home, to take the lot off.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Jan 2007 6:39 pm

Fortunately, I'm partially ambidextrous and can use a pair of scissors, straight razor, comb etc, equally as well with either hand and using two mirrors along with the electric hair trimmer. Been doing it for over 35 years now. Much easier nowadays as there's naught on top to worry about - only the fringe and beard & 'stash to do.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 15 Jan 2007 7:03 pm

If East Coast try Parkway Parade L1 Male Barbers, near key cutting and Inodnesian Jamu Shop. Great straight forward mens cuts at a reasonable price lah.
Be Like Water

BizEngine

Postby BizEngine » Tue, 16 Jan 2007 6:55 pm

At upp bt timah beauty world. Just SG$10.
Creating Assets on the Web

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:29 am

the one at Parkway that Banfana mentions is, I think, called Sri Nada. About $10 for a basic cut I believe.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 9:41 am

Loops wrote:the one at Parkway that Banfana mentions is, I think, called Sri Nada. About $10 for a basic cut I believe.

Thats the one :cool:
Be Like Water

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:58 pm

I get mine done in Malaysia and will continue during my monthly trips....... RM10 :wink:

BizEngine

Postby BizEngine » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 1:21 pm

Haha ... Good strategy.

I believe same goes for your clothing and food? Same value, but with different currency.

ScoobyDoes wrote:I get mine done in Malaysia and will continue during my monthly trips....... RM10 :wink:
Creating Assets on the Web

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 3:58 pm

BizEngine wrote:Haha ... Good strategy.

I believe same goes for your clothing and food? Same value, but with different currency.

Not everything certainly but a lot. After my move to Singapore i'll still need to travel up here a lot and i'm sure the wife will while away the hours comparing prices, and will buy whatever's cheaper up here. :lol:

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Postby lost_canuck » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 4:38 pm

any women have opinions? I don't want a em cheap cut but a good cut, which was even hard to find in London without breaking the bank that is. Also how much do highlights go for here?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 4:53 pm

lost_canuck wrote:which was even hard to find in London without breaking the bank that is.

Did you visit as a tourist and frequent the central area? Central London prices are way way above those paid by locals in the suburbs; in short a 'rip-off'.

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Postby lost_canuck » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 4:57 pm

well I went to a place by Leicester square, £40 for senior stylist, I also went to a place in devon which was about the same £30 and I had my best cut from a student once £10. But the one in leicester was the best guy, I lived in Canary wharf area and tony and guy are rip off merchants. My aunt in-law went to Nicky Clarkes once and well I won't mention the price, but I must admit it was an impressive cut. really.

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 9:47 pm

Did she end up with a Nicky Clarke look? A girl I knew won some competition to get her hair cut by him and she came back looking just like Nicky Clarke :shock:

I sometimes go to the Colour Bar at Siglap. They charge based on length of hair for highlights etc. i'll go and get the 'menu' and tell you, hang on..........

..........sound of running footsteps (oh, OK shuffling footsteps)

........sound of swearing

ah, here it is:

Ladies cut $35
Ladies cut $55 (from the head stylist)

Highlight/lowlight $55, $65 or $75

phone No if interested is 6441 1136

The most I think I've paid is around $200 and that was for cut and about 3 different colours (highlights, lowlights and round the back lights)......It looked quite interesting though ;)

provenearning

Postby provenearning » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:18 pm

I love my stylist, Leong, at the Hair Shop at Paragon... He's a little pricey but his cuts always look good and are easy to maintain (that's from a girl's point of view). I've been going to him for quite a while now.