Where to surf

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
FletcherW

Where to surf

Post by FletcherW » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 6:53 am

I was wondering if there is a beach for surfing in singapore or if you hav e to cross the border into Malaysia.

Thanks

Fletcher

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 9

Re: Where to surf

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 1:03 pm

FletcherW wrote:I was wondering if there is a beach for surfing in singapore or if you hav e to cross the border into Malaysia.

Thanks

Fletcher
Singapore zilch!

Closest place for any decent surfing is Bali in Indonesia or Phuket in Thailand.

Malaysia: The season begins somewhere around November and ends around February. You will find surfers at Desaru beach, Teluk Chempedak beach , Cherating beach, Teluk Kalung beach and Kijal beach. All these beaches are along the east coast of West Malaysia
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FletcherW

Post by FletcherW » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 1:47 pm

thanks sms

Well I lived in Indonesia for a year, there are some closer to Singapore than going all the way to Bali, I just wanted to know if there were any within driving distance of Singapore.

Fletcher

dwayneno

Where to Surf?

Post by dwayneno » Wed, 17 Jan 2007 5:30 pm

Just following up to see if you had found anything closer than what was mentioned here? Very keen to find something closer. Please let me know. Cheers.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:49 pm

add Bintan to that list for the winter months

I'm still up for these kinds of trips for anyone interested (after posting on this subject a few times) in venturing a trip, but I'm a longboarder and not looking for typical Bali-type waves, my 9'2" won't make those takeoffs

Desaru is supposed to be the closest but is very iffy and small when it has any waves

SMS listed more than I knew of, and I have not got my act together and been to them yet

dwayneno

Post by dwayneno » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 8:56 am

Im keen to try anything thats closer than Bali. Im off to Bali for a week in Feb which is good but really need to find something closer that I can go to regularly. I brought my longboard across with me so dont need anything too big either. :) Keen to try Bintan so let me know please.

Big Guns

Post by Big Guns » Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:56 am

No breaks close by here... I've had to start wakeboarding.. Only problem is, when someone else is boarding, many beers are consumed so when I eventually get to strap the board back on my feet, I'm toast!!!

ilws

Post by ilws » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 5:23 pm

You can try checking out http://www.manamana.com in Bintan. They have surfing I believe but only during the NE monsoon period I think. This place is only a 45mins ferry ride away, so it's very convenient.

Or if you windsurf, there's always PA Seasports Club at East Coast Park.

borneng

Post by borneng » Sun, 26 Aug 2007 5:01 am

EADG wrote:add Bintan to that list for the winter months

I'm still up for these kinds of trips for anyone interested (after posting on this subject a few times) in venturing a trip, but I'm a longboarder and not looking for typical Bali-type waves, my 9'2" won't make those takeoffs

Desaru is supposed to be the closest but is very iffy and small when it has any waves

SMS listed more than I knew of, and I have not got my act together and been to them yet
EADG, have you surf Bintan yet ? Is it any good?

btw, there are surf spot in Bali than can accommodate longboard surfing. I surf Canggu in Feb 2006 with 9'4 and had fun.

I heard that Dreamland is pretty mellow for longboard as well. Seen the place but have not surf there. Was too big for my skill.

b_12_shot

Post by b_12_shot » Mon, 30 May 2011 12:31 am

Just checking if this post is still ongoing?

I am relocating to Sing soon and am very interested in surfing the surrounding countries.

Please let me know.

makermakes

anybody travelling for waves in next few months?

Post by makermakes » Sat, 27 Aug 2011 5:27 pm

Looking for expat surfers!

I'm here studying on exchange program from Sydney. Have a trip booked for Bali in Sept/Oct but am interested in searching other nearby countries for waves. If anybody is planning a trip and need another person for filling up accommodation, car, whatever let me know!

josh@niceonecreative.com

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”