Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone from Melbourne?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

zeze

Anyone from Melbourne?

Postby zeze » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:17 pm

Happy New Year everyone!

Anyone out there from Melbourne or familiar with Melbourne and its surrounding suburbs? Will be moving there to work either in Caulfield or Hampton sometime in March. Which is a nicer place to move to? Both job offers are comparably good. Relocating with hubby and 4-yr-old daughter.

I know this is a Singapore expat forum and I hope someone out there will be willing to share, considering you would understand the challenges of relocating and could provide sound advice on the ins and outs about your home country. Would greatly appreciate anyone's help.
:D
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." ~ Theodore Rubin

Leone and John
Regular
Regular

from Melbourne....

Postby Leone and John » Thu, 04 Jan 2007 5:26 am

I live in Melbourne, can I help?

Though husband and myself are relocating to Singapore on Feb 10, if you need any help prior to that let me know!!!

Caulfield / Hampton areas are both very pleasant, middle class suburbs on the east side of the city. Probably half an hour by train or tram, though has plenty of shopping strips close by and if lucky, you may even find a home within walking distance to a beach.

Here is the URL for the local Melbourne (pictorial) newspaper:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/

and one for the ABC online:

http://abc.net.au/news/

might give you some idea of the 'culture' !!!!

Am more than happy to take photos of thhe area if you would like. Email me direct at:

jlfabre@bigpond.net.XXXau

[removing the XXX]

cheers, Leone
Leone + John Fabre
[ Singapore ]

zeze

Postby zeze » Thu, 04 Jan 2007 1:01 pm

Thanks, Leone. So far I've not come across anyone who has anything negative to say about these 2 suburbs (thru friends and other posts). I sure am relieved. Wonder if there are many Asians there? We don't need to live among the Asians but just a rough idea how far we have to travel for Asian produce and spices (I do love to cook)...

Would you know a good school I can enroll my daughter in? She turns 5 next Oct (07). We can probably afford public school better. I think most likely I'll be working in Caulfield (one of the Calvary hospitals).

My husband has been visiting The Age website almost everyday since a few months back. We find that quite informative and also looking at some rentals on domain.com.au.

Do you have any advice on choice of housing? We don't have much savings and trying to stretch every dollar the initial 6 months. Probably spending not more than A$1200 /mth on rental for 1-2 bdrm unit/ apartment/ townhouse. We were told that some units have thinner walls and are not sound proof, i.e. you might even hear your neighbours sometimes.
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." ~ Theodore Rubin

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Thu, 04 Jan 2007 1:53 pm

I am from Melbourne too and agree both suburbs are nice places to live.

There are quite a few places to buy asian groceries and produce around Melbourne, including some quite large asian supermarkets, not sure if there are many in the Caulfield area though, as the asian population is not high in these areas (but still around) but definitely in Oakleigh/Clayton area you will find lots, these are not too far away.

Housing rentals are pretty good, but have gone up lately. You should be able to get something quite nice, even a small single level home (like most are) for that price. You should definitely be able to get a nice 2/3 bedroom townhouse or unit for that price (many are in blocks but do not have shared walls and are like a private house but with a shared driveway etc.

Good luck with your move. I hope you enjoy it there.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown