Singapore Expats

Relocating to Melbourne - need good advice?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
zeze

Relocating to Melbourne - need good advice?

Post by zeze » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:27 am

I am a Singaporean Registered Nurse relocating to Melbourne with my family, entering on temporary bussiness visa (between 12-24 months). We would like to know more about the cost of living, accomodation and child's education in Australia.

My husband and I are in our 30s and our daughter turned 4 last Oct. I am currently awaiting the outcomes of 2 job offers - one in a hospital in Caulfield, and the other in Hampton?

Considering both offers are equally good, which would be a better suburb to move to? We've asked 2 friends who've stayed in Mel before and one preferred Hampton, while the other is indifferent. Also, should we start looking for rentals here or only when we arrive? How much and what are the essentials should we bring along? What's the cheapest way to get our things over (don't think we're planning to bring our furniture along. Just lots of books and maybe some household items - crockery, utensils - and small electrical appliances if they are adaptable there).

Appreciate any good advice/tips since we've never ever been to Australia, or lived outside Singapore.
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." ~ Theodore Rubin

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 7:03 pm

I think you'll have better luck asking on an Oz expats forum, like this:

http://www.expatsaustralia.com/
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Aussieboy

Post by Aussieboy » Wed, 03 Jan 2007 6:24 am

Either area would be fine both are nice leafy suburbs about 30 minutes from the city and similar in price for rentals and purchase. Expect to pay $350AUD per week for a nice 2 bedroom unit.

Hampton is closer to the beach but Caulfield has many express trains running to the city making it only 10-15minutes on the train. Caulfield has a large Jewish community which may suit a quiter lifestyle.
:)

Both have cafe strips but are vastly different to living in Singapore (more relaxed)

I hope this helps

zeze

Post by zeze » Wed, 03 Jan 2007 9:57 am

jpatokal wrote:I think you'll have better luck asking on an Oz expats forum, like this:

Thanks for your suggestion. Been to this site. Doesn't seem very helpful. Only had ONE post for entire month of Nov and NONE in December!!! Most posts don't even get replied. :(
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." ~ Theodore Rubin

zeze

Post by zeze » Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:20 am

Aussieboy wrote:Either area would be fine both are nice leafy suburbs about 30 minutes from the city and similar in price for rentals and purchase. Expect to pay $350AUD per week for a nice 2 bedroom unit.

Hampton is closer to the beach but Caulfield has many express trains running to the city making it only 10-15minutes on the train. Caulfield has a large Jewish community which may suit a quiter lifestyle.
:)

Both have cafe strips but are vastly different to living in Singapore (more relaxed)

I hope this helps

Thanks, Aussieboy. Quiet is fine with us and different from Singapore is what we hope to experience :wink:

By the way, do you know or have you heard of the Calvary Health Care Bethlehem Hospital in Caulfield? It's on Kooyong Rd.

I didn't realise Melbourne is littered with hospitals until I studied the maps.

Aussieboy

Post by Aussieboy » Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:39 am

Yes think that hospital is on Kooyong Road and is well known. You will have no problem finding a nursing role in Australia, they are in high demand. You can either take a perm. job or work via an agency (contract/temp and multiple hospitals) once you find your feet at higher rates

jskogsta

Post by jskogsta » Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:26 pm

zeze wrote:
jpatokal wrote:I think you'll have better luck asking on an Oz expats forum, like this:

Thanks for your suggestion. Been to this site. Doesn't seem very helpful. Only had ONE post for entire month of Nov and NONE in December!!! Most posts don't even get replied. :(
We relocated to Melbourne from Norway a few years back and found the Britishexpats website the most active and up to date. It has a vibrant user community; for people planning to relocate all the way to people living here. You can find it here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54.

Hope that helps!

/Jorgen

tassy

Post by tassy » Thu, 01 Feb 2007 9:38 pm

Hi there,
Hampton is further from the city than Caulfield. Both are reasonable close to large shopping complex Caulfield = Chadstone (known as the fashion capital of Melbourne) while Hampton = Southlands.
I personally live in a suburb called Murrumbeena, which is right next to Carnegie/Caulfied and very close to Chadstone. From my perspective, because it is central to city, both shopping centres, beach an which are all within 20 - 30km radius it is a great place to live. And of course there are plenty of parks, some good schools etc.....
In terms of looking for a rental property, if you are looking for a house, hampton woudl be better, or suburbs around Caulfield.....Caulfield itself may be a little expensive. I woudl bother worrying about finding something until you arrive as there are plenty of rentals....Of yeh, Caulfield is also on the major intersection for 2 train lines so plenty of trains, while trains to Hampton split of another junction point single line therefore wont be as many trains. Caulfield also has one of Melbourne largest racing track (horse) and is where the Caulfield cup is held, which is the lead up to the well known Melbourne Cup.
Caulfield has more private hospitals and a Uni campus to.
Overall the point is both (including the surrounding areas) are both nice, and you are defintely on the right side of Melbourne for good living.

if ya need more info let me know.....Perhaps you may return the favour, by assisting me with some good locations to live etc. I am considering moving to Singapore / HK with my wife and 2 kids, so we will be renting our house out......

Check out www.realestate.com.au.....may help.

Cheerio, hope this helps a little. :D

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Sun, 04 Feb 2007 4:43 pm

just a cheeky reply, I spent 3 weeks in melbourne once, St Kilda area, lovely, but get an umbrella, good lord it rained for 3 weeks straight *l* I then ran away to the north where the rain is warm and the sun shines. :)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sun, 04 Feb 2007 9:24 pm

That must have been a while ago Lost Canuck....they have been in a drought situation for a couple of years, nearly worst drought ever.
Ask any Melburnian, they would love it to rain just for one week. Everything is brown and crispy right now. :wink:
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown