What's culture shock to you for those who live(d) in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 7:51 pm

Post by EADG » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:36 pm

does that mean there were better manners before? not a jab, I'm actually really curious

I've only been here 3 years, but I find it hard to believe people here ever had any sense of manners

BTW moonwatcher, love your avatar
ScoobyDoes wrote:Manners, over all, are dropping all over the place
Last edited by EADG on Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 7:51 pm

Post by EADG » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:54 pm

exactly, and well put

this is the crux of living amongst people like this - either you stoop to their level or remain above that nonsense and lead by example - 99% won't learn anyway, but use these as reminders of who you are and what they are not, and be thankful it's not the other way around

see it as an opportunity for your own personal entertainment, except it becomes like watching the same damn episode of the same damn sitcom

another way to look at it is, where I come from we say, "you can dress them up, but you can't take 'em anywhere"

what was that local term for "poor education / poor manners" that I saw on this forum not too long ago?
ksl wrote:They do shove in front in SIngapore, of which i allow, it's their way of showing how impolite they are, or lack of manners and upbringing..... Or they are just too selfish to think of others, which is more likely. Because even the very well dressed and probably highly educated people do the same.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39549
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:32 pm

Hi EADG,

Welcome back! I think the phrase you are referring to was the one used my me was it not? Kurung Ajar
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 7:51 pm

Post by EADG » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:42 am

thanks brother

a simple scan came up with this:
http://www.beiks.com/_disc/00000ba6.htm

sounds a bit too strong for what I'd want to say on most occasions, surely there is a less confrontational local vernacular to address someone's ignorance?

I know, don't call you "Shirley"......

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 9:07 am
Location: Hibernation

Post by huggybear » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 9:05 am

When in rome...push everyone out of the way to get to the front of the MRT line ...then when in rome...as the door opens, walk briskly into the train and push those trying to get out back into the MRT!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

when in rome....when you're driving, don't respect the lane markers...they are merely suggestions...then when in rome...when you decide to shift from the right side of the road to the left, don't check your blind spot. if you get into an accident, it was their fault anyways for driving behind you.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39549
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:35 am

Hey Huggy,

Been using the local transportation systems lately have you? :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 9:07 am
Location: Hibernation

Post by huggybear » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:48 pm

hee hee hee.
yes. i actually don't see why anyone complains. it's fast and highly efficient. the train is never full, there is always plenty of space of the middle. that being said just push your way in. do as the locals!

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 1:44 pm

huggybear wrote:hee hee hee.
yes. i actually don't see why anyone complains. it's fast and highly efficient. the train is never full, there is always plenty of space of the middle. that being said just push your way in. do as the locals!
it's fast and highly efficient. the train is never full, there is always plenty of space of the middle. that being said just push your way in.
Some people have to get up in a morning and travel at peak times
:P :lol: But, i'm also lucky like you too! :D I have only once stuck my elbows out on both sides, when getting off the train, it was satisfying seeing the shock on their faces, Although i was a little embarassed they asked for it, that middle section is mine on the way out, so if they want to commit suicide, by my guest :twisted: 200lbs of British Bulldog, exercising his right of way! :cool: and I will apologise on the way out, to express my politeness. :roll:

User avatar
lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 9:46 pm

Post by lost_canuck » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 4:02 pm

I still stand by the fact that the MRT even when jam packed is no where near as awful as the London underground, especially the northern or central line.

And they give you more personal space here that they do in london as well, I think I have had two brushes with people in the street today, whereas in London there would have been a barrage of "Oh saw-ree"(best essex accent) and me muttering under my breath "I should hope so" Because you know they just ram into you and then say it.

What is with the deep throat wrenching snorking? I think I asked this before, but we were in a shop on Sunday talking to a salesperson about a chair and suddenly there is this god awful (snrrrkkkkllee) noise emanating from him. eugh! And then he continues on with his schpeal.

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 7:51 pm

Post by EADG » Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:07 pm

great advice not to follow
huggybear wrote:hee hee hee. just push your way in. do as the locals!

User avatar
HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 2:56 am

Post by HunBunny80 » Sun, 04 Mar 2007 5:56 am

lost_canuck wrote:I still stand by the fact that the MRT even when jam packed is no where near as awful as the London underground, especially the northern or central line.

And they give you more personal space here that they do in london as well, I think I have had two brushes with people in the street today, whereas in London there would have been a barrage of "Oh saw-ree"(best essex accent) and me muttering under my breath "I should hope so" Because you know they just ram into you and then say it.

What is with the deep throat wrenching snorking? I think I asked this before, but we were in a shop on Sunday talking to a salesperson about a chair and suddenly there is this god awful (snrrrkkkkllee) noise emanating from him. eugh! And then he continues on with his schpeal.
I still take the bloody central line and DLR to work. Recently there have been signal failures and supensions. :mad: As I am short, I have to endure either the breathe or the BO of commuters. I read a survey that 70% of London travellers do not use deodrant.

Yes it is very crowded. It is not uncommon to be squashed against the door.

I do not understand why tourist with huge luggages or mothers with pushchairs have to travel during rush hours too. The fact that they think it is perfectly acceptable to ram you on your feet really bugs me.

But hey, I am getting out of here soon...I hope. One thing I will miss is the Black Cabs in London. They sure know their way around.

User avatar
lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 9:46 pm

Post by lost_canuck » Sun, 04 Mar 2007 10:47 am

HunBunny80 wrote:
I still take the bloody central line and DLR to work. Recently there have been signal failures and supensions. :mad: As I am short, I have to endure either the breathe or the BO of commuters. I read a survey that 70% of London travellers do not use deodrant.

Yes it is very crowded. It is not uncommon to be squashed against the door.

I do not understand why tourist with huge luggages or mothers with pushchairs have to travel during rush hours too. The fact that they think it is perfectly acceptable to ram you on your feet really bugs me.

But hey, I am getting out of here soon...I hope. One thing I will miss is the Black Cabs in London. They sure know their way around.
ooo I know those lines, travelled them recently, in general people are fresher here, and there are a couple of london cabs on the street over here, we caught one the other day, ahh memories ;)

And london cabbies should it takes them two years to learn the knowledge and pass to become one :)

Best of luck with your move

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:42 pm
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sun, 04 Mar 2007 1:40 pm

HunBunny80 wrote: I do not understand why tourist with huge luggages or mothers with pushchairs have to travel during rush hours too. The fact that they think it is perfectly acceptable to ram you on your feet really bugs me.
Having been a tourist with a couple of big bags let me say our schedule was not determined by us but our flight times. There is no way i am going to get to the airport too early or too late just to miss a rush hour than goes on for, let's face it, more than an hour.

Additionally, public transport is meant for that purpose, the public. It's up to public transport to cope with the demand.

Here, i would say the trains are scheduled to far apart. Only need to compare to the 2-min type schedule in Hong Kong to see a difference but with double the population there (roughly) the trains are still packed.

User avatar
lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 9:46 pm

Post by lost_canuck » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 2:38 pm

now for something totally different, WTF is it with like 1 electric outlet per room? Is this just my flat???? for fecks sake people, do singaporeans only own 1 light? and live on their own? I have spent a fortune on extension cords :x :x :x and we won't get into the nightmare of using a vacuum :lol:

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005 2:13 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Plavt » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 3:35 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
Additionally, public transport is meant for that purpose, the public. It's up to public transport to cope with the demand.
That is true to some extent but when I began working for London Underground way back in 1995 the Victoria line was running at 2.5 its design capacity. In addition under-investment and neglect for years alongside inferior management is also a problem.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests