Singapore Expats

hourly rate in Singapore for an IT contract

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
scotland_bobby

hourly rate in Singapore for an IT contract

Post by scotland_bobby » Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:49 am

I am having a possibility of getting a contract in Singapore.

what would be a good hourly/daily rate for someone with 4 yrs of experience in SG.

Its an IT job in testing domain.

please advice

thanks

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 30 Dec 2006 2:58 pm

Take your previous monthly salary, multiply by two, divide by 30. Ta-dah, there's your daily contracting rate.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:46 pm

jpatokal wrote:Take your previous monthly salary, multiply by two, divide by 30. Ta-dah, there's your daily contracting rate.
...or actually better to divide by 20 (= actual working days in the average month), but this also depends on what your client is willing to swallow. Never hurts to aim high and then give a "discount" if they squeal too much or are willing to do a longer deal.

one_stop_solutions

Post by one_stop_solutions » Tue, 09 Jan 2007 4:05 am

If you are from scotland you would be used to earning money in sterling and so obviously the hourly rate in SGD would be lower!
[/code]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jan 2007 1:21 pm

one_stop_solutions wrote:If you are from scotland you would be used to earning money in sterling and so obviously the hourly rate in SGD would be lower!
[/code]
Not necessarily true. That's why Expats are paid reasonable money to come over here to do jobs that many here don't have the expertise to do. Obviously any quote will be converted into the local currency but the formula would be the same. Just got off the boat huh?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

keinicke

Post by keinicke » Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:13 pm

100s$/hour or so would be nice, but even higher not uncommon in highly sought after domains ;)
For such contractors/consultants would it be beneficial to register ones own company limited as e.g. IT consultant viable & thus be exempt for corporate tax until 2009?
Life's a bonus isn't it?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 20 Jan 2007 7:38 pm

keinicke wrote:For such contractors/consultants would it be beneficial to register ones own company limited as e.g. IT consultant viable & thus be exempt for corporate tax until 2009?
Uhh... obviously? :o

Cheers,
-j pte ltd

keinicke

Post by keinicke » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:55 pm

I mean of course it could be beneficial once up & running, but if finding oneself in SG turned down for entrepass & thus unable to service a signed contract it'd be very inconvenient to say the least :???:
Life's a bonus isn't it?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:57 pm

keinicke wrote:I mean of course it could be beneficial once up & running, but if finding oneself in SG turned down for entrepass & thus unable to service a signed contract it'd be very inconvenient to say the least :???:
The student came up to the Zen master and said, "Master, whenever I think of enlightenment, my head hurts."

The Zen master hit the student on the head with a stick and said, "Well, don't do that, then."

The student was enlightened.