Singapore Expats

US citizen with family relocating to NUS

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

US citizen with family relocating to NUS

Post by boffenl » Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:15 pm

Happy Holidays!

I've been told a few things by NUS officials that I'd like to double check with readers of this site--especially US expats. We're from the mid-west, so this will be a big change for us.

Annual Base Salary: $110,000 SD
one-time relocation: $10,000 SD
no accomodations (except one month in KentVale)
$70 p/month in lieu of hopitalisation benefits (will be converted into insurance based in March they tell me)

What can I expect to take home each month? I was told that : You will only have to pay local Singapore income tax (and for a S$110,000 income, the current tax payable is no more than S$8,500). Seems a bit low--anyone help!!?

I know that as a US citizen, my first US$80,000 will be income tax exempt here in the US.

What about hospitalizations? What does a normal childbirth delivery cost in Singapore?

I'd appreciate hearing from some US expats out there!

Thanks,

Liza

Coopek

Tax and hospitalization cost

Post by Coopek » Thu, 21 Dec 2006 1:58 am

Hi Liza,

I am not a US expat, I have been here for the last three months from NZ.
Your tax information sounds correct, Singapore has one of the lowest tax rates. Please check with your employer whether your salary is based on 13 months. In some places, you are paid 13 monthly salary payments and 1 of the payments has to be given back to the government as Tax.
There is no PAYE scheme here( monthly deductions by the employer)
Regarding hospitalization, please logon to Mt Elizabeth hospital website, it should provide you with all the information. You may find subsidised medical insurance by the employer, NUS. please check with them.
Good luck, Hope everthing will work out for u.

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Taxes! Augh!

Post by boffenl » Thu, 21 Dec 2006 3:02 am

Thanks Coopek! I'll log onto the hospital site and see what I can find out. I thougth all expats paid 15% on salary over SD $100,000?

Liza

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Taxes! Augh!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:45 am

boffenl wrote:Thanks Coopek! I'll log onto the hospital site and see what I can find out. I thougth all expats paid 15% on salary over SD $100,000?

Liza
Liza,

Like the US, the Singapore Tax system is a graduated tax rate. this means that like the US only taxable income OVER that amount will be taxed at that amount. (assuming you will be in the country more than 183 days during the calendar year in the first year). If not in the country then all will be taxed at 15% or the normal rate whichever is greater. So assuming you will be here more than 183 days. your tax on 110,000 would be $8,800

Here are some links to IRAS that may be helpful.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/iit/ii ... gapore.asp

http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/iit/ii ... iduals.asp

http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/resour ... ya2006.xls

As there is no PAYE, you will have to file by 15 April (sound familiar?) but you might not received your tax bill until July-Sept and it will be due and payable so be sure to allow for that! :(

Where you are going to get screwed is the new tax lawes in the US with regard to the excess income over the 84K Though you should be below that once the exchange rates come into play.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Thanks!

Post by boffenl » Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:46 pm

I appreciate the links. Any chance you migth have some for medical insurance--esp. hospitalization insurance? My husband is most worried about medical insurance, and I'd like to know how other expats (particularly those of us used to paying each month through our employer and then paying a co-pay at the office) manage. Thanks!

Liza

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:29 pm

Liza,

These should get you started.

Insurance Companies in Singapore

Company - Telephone - Website Address

AIA - (65) 1800 248 8000 - www.aia.com.sg
Asia Life Assurance - (65) 6224 3181 - www.asialife.com.sg
Aviva Ltd - (65) 6221 8686 - www.icsinsurance.com.sg
AXA Insurance Singapore - (65) 1800 880 4741 - www.axa.com.sg
Great Eastern Life - (65) 1800 248 2888 - www.lifeisgreat.com.sg
NTUC Income - (65) 6336 3322 - www.income.com.sg
OAC Insurance - (65) 6321 0013 - www.lifeisgreat.com.sg
Prudential - (65) 6321 0013 - www.prudential.com.sg
UOB Life Assurance - (65) 6227 8477 - www.uoblife.com.sg

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shef

Post by shef » Sun, 04 Feb 2007 9:56 pm

Hi,

This is another hospital like Mt Elizabeth with their fees attached. http://www.gleneagles.com.sg/packages.jsp#maternity

this does not inlcude your regular consultation with the Obstetrician. I currently pay SGD $100 per visit excluding any medication/supplements. This doctor then has an additional fee after the delivery ranging from SGD$3000-$6000 depending on the delivery.

I am told from a friend who recently had a baby in Singapore to expect to pay anywhere from SGD$10K - $15K depending on delivery.

Fees for a normal GP consultation is SGD $65 per visit excluding any medication. I am sure that this price varies a great deal but this is what we pay.

I think you should try an negotiate for some health insurance coverage.

iis

Post by iis » Sat, 10 Feb 2007 8:49 pm

You can also sheck Thomson medical centre at http://www.thomsonmedical.com/Tmc.htm#

I heard from some friends it's a good hospital for women & children and not very expensive.