Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore - Looking for expat job - Startup Co's?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

chrisso

Moving to Singapore - Looking for expat job - Startup Co's?

Postby chrisso » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 4:53 pm

Hi there,

Am planning to move to Singapore around November of this year, mainly for personal reasons since I am marrying a Singaporean girl and we are starting off our family life out there.

Have mainly worked in Startups in the communications/IT industry mainly from a general management/marketing/business development focus. Are there any interesting startups out there? Does anyone have any advice how to get the bext expat job? Does any one have any contacts that you could share with me.

Btw am from Malta and my email address is mail@chris.apap.name

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:50 am

Singapore has a miserable record of starting new companies and despite lots of government effort to legislate creativity there aren't all that many startups around... and most Singaporean startups would hesitate to hire an expat, because we cost more and are harder to communicate with than locals.

If your wife is Singaporean, does she have any local contacts?

handebun

Welcome to the reel world

Postby handebun » Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:53 pm

I agree. Recently our company was turned down by the local banks despite having meet the criteria for the SPRING govenment assistance scheme. The bank wanted to see a healthy cash flow, a xxxx figure balance account and a good track record of turnover.... The loan was SGD38,000 and we were required to top up cash 30K for our paid up capital to make it 50K for the loan to be approved.... In Singapore, you either sell your HDB house or strike 4D (local lottery) or gather all your credit card limits for your business set-up. This is the time to see how your close friends believe in you as personal loan is encourage amongst yourself..... good luck!!