Singapore Expats Forum

Tired of living.......

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Equalizer

Tired of living.......

Postby Equalizer » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:40 am

Yeah juz tired of living 51yo. single. no debts. no kin, house fully paid. a dull job.....

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:24 pm

Is it really that bad ??

Come on there's so much out there. I can't believe "just tired". Is Monday that bad.
No debts or kids and you have a house. That should at least give you some freedom to change jobs or persue a hobby??

Good luck

Equalizer

Postby Equalizer » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 2:59 pm

Have seen almost all that life has to offer and done as much. Sometimes I wish there is easy availabiliy of cyanide for ppl to access.

:(

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Tired of living.......

Postby ksl » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 4:53 pm

Equalizer wrote:Yeah juz tired of living 51yo. single. no debts. no kin, house fully paid. a dull job.....

I've been there, tell me about it, you need help, I'm afraid, otherwise you will fall deeper down. If you want a chat, you can PM me.

This is all in your mind, believe me I know, I have said to many people, I believe these feelings are related to the change of life, midlife crisis, after all, why should women only suffer, with their menstrual cycle.

Take a deep breath, and say you are going to get out of this negative roller coaster. Try some meditation classes, the gym, or even study,

I'm 56 yr old, and have also done much in my life, that I couldn't find the reasons for living, I have since reinvent my life totally, and the problem is very clear.

The mind = Good & Evil = Positive thoughts & Negative thoughts = Life & Death

Those that ended their life, were consumed with the negative thoughts, that can take your mind on a roller coaster ride of self destruction. I know because I have been there, especially with alcohol, drowning my sorrows, my immune system failing, my liver failing, it wasn't until, I was given 14 days to live, that I suddenly woke up! and that was more than 10 years ago.

Once you can realise this fact, that the devil wants you in his world, you can fight against it.

You are to young and their is lots to do in this world, that can make you happy, and can give you something to live for.

Concentrate on the world and not the people in it! Look at the beauty of the animals, the birds and the bees, see the things you have never seen before.

You say you have no kids! Well why don't you adopt one poor soul, from a distance and watch the beauty of you giving life to someone, that as never had the opportunities, you have had.

Do you actually realise what help, you could give, and take an interest, in a poor young child, with know future, to help them get a foot on the ladder of life.

The millions of people that travel and work abroad, taking fat incomes, while others struggle is a sickening sight, and it doesn't take much to contribute to the good of others.

Take a walk to Chijmes and read the plaque on the wall, were young mothers dumped their children at the doors of the convent, feel what it's like, get involved with your soul, and help give life, rather than sacrifice yourself to the devil inside you.

The self pitty is the sign of a whimpering soul, trapped by negative forces, you need to slow your thoughts down, and turn this negativity into something useful :) Cheer up, you are certainly not alone.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 5:08 pm

Equalizer wrote:Have seen almost all that life has to offer and done as much.
:(

Hey Equalizer that can't possibly be true there are so many things in this world we could learn or take an interest in that none of us could possibly live long enough to explore. Think how many different cultures, languages and people there are. There is also tons of history, no end of hobbies and interests you could take up. We all live through a crisis in life but you have assets that many have't so try not to let the negative thoughts consume you.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 7:08 pm

I thought all day about if or how to respond to this

dude, if you're not getting fulfilment in your own existence then give to something or someone less fortunate - there's always someone worse off

when I was in a similar situation voluntering made a world of difference, and despite myself I ended up enjoying it immensely, in fact, those were the only times I actually lived during that phase

so what's altruistic can actually be beneficial to both sides, but that doesn't make it any less altruistic

though I not attempting to paraphrase ksl's eloquent response, I think you should realize what you surely already know, that everything is cyclic, which includes one's outlook, feelings, and current standing in whatever life category one examines

on a totally separate tangent, these feelings of yours could be influenced by the foods you eat, and I'm as serious as a heart attack when I suggest that they could be affecting your outlook in ways you don't even realize

Equalizer

Postby Equalizer » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 7:52 pm

Thanks all for your feedback and for commiserating with me in these depressive days.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 8:29 pm

Hey Equalizer, we're all down in the dumps sometimes. At least you have the good sense to post here. Checking replies gives you something to look forward to, doesn't it?

Loneliness can eat into you. Why not join a club or cooking class or dance class... anything that will get you in the company of people?

Hope the sun rises on your mood soon. Take care!

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 9:39 pm

Agree with the comments so far. We all get depressed at some time in our lives. Christmas time is said to be the worse time for people who are alone, without close family and friends. Volunteer for some of the various chariities available here. If your job is as dull as you say, quit and find a more exciting job. Easy for me to say, I know, but being trapped in a dull job can't improve your situation. Oh by the eay, 51 ain't old...I'll be turning 50 next month and I feel old when I think about it, but I know it isn't. Look at the people here who have made comments, there are people here who do care. Cheer up!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 19 Dec 2006 2:33 am

Equalizer wrote:Thanks all for your feedback and for commiserating with me in these depressive days.

You could also start a bowling club for the over 50's at least you may get out once a week, although the hours here in Singapore for some are a killer in itself! May even join myself if you get it started!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:42 am

There's so much to do in Singapore. Just think of something you've always wanted to try and go for it. Things i've tried in the last 10 years. Wake boarding ( you're never too old) playing the guitar ( book lessons somewhere...i always look forward to going to them. Hearing other people sound worse than you is great inspiration too).
Flying model aircraft. There a couple of clubs and a great mix of locals/ expats. ( can be a bit expensive if you're anywhere near as bad at it as i am :-) but great fun) In line skates ....wind surfing...sailing. moutain bking etc
The list is endless.
Spoil yourself a bit. Buy that big screen TV you've always wanted or go on holiday. Community or volunteer work is great for the soul. Go down the pub and get hammered. Temp relief i know but can be effective.
Seek out some proffesional help if all else fails. Sometimes we need help putting ourselves into perspective.

The point is ...sitting on yer bum waiting for change very rarely works ...get out there

Good luck

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Tired of living.......

Postby renter » Tue, 19 Dec 2006 8:41 pm

well, maybe find a partner, find a little debt, find a lost kin, then you'll find life more interesting. Life needs a goal to survive.