Singapore Expats Forum

Juz a tHot :)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

gattaca

Juz a tHot :)

Postby gattaca » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:04 am

Pple always say .. Learn from ur mistakes.. yet when u attend an interview... the person conducting the aptitude tests,EQ tests etc etc... NEva tells u wat went wrong at the end of it.. Sometimes i feel their choice is influenced by personal choices & agendas ( looks,networking (lobangs), and other such stuff) . If a person really is doing something wrong .. doesnt he have a right to know .. ?? Y dont they point it out so he wont repeat his mistake the next time out ?? Can any one share their knowledge and epertise with me :)
Thanks

Cheers
Adi

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Juz a tHot :)

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:03 pm

gattaca wrote:Pple always say .. Learn from ur mistakes.. yet when u attend an interview... the person conducting the aptitude tests,EQ tests etc etc... NEva tells u wat went wrong at the end of it.. Sometimes i feel their choice is influenced by personal choices & agendas ( looks,networking (lobangs), and other such stuff) . If a person really is doing something wrong .. doesnt he have a right to know .. ?? Y dont they point it out so he wont repeat his mistake the next time out ?? Can any one share their knowledge and epertise with me :)
Thanks

Cheers
Adi

Adi,

Just a observation. From where I sit, as an HR Manager, it's normally a combination of things. Simple things really in some instances. Like being late for an interview. (this tells me how punctual you will be on the job). Of if you are going to be late did you have the respect to inform us that you were going to be late and why (leaving late or oversleeping won't cut it) again it shows the type of person you may be.

Are you overly aggressive/arrogant or are you sloppily dressed? Are you applying for an executive position without wearing a decent shirt & tie & proper shoes (not trainers)? Do you speak with respect to the interviewers? I have two sets of business cards, one only says HR Executive. The other says HR & Finance Manager. Do you know to whom you are talking? For sure? Do you give succinct answers to direct questions or do you ramble? Do you look at the interviewer or the table top? Do you sit properly or slouch in the chair?

Setting aside the first paragraph, it usually not a matter of "doing something wrong" but a case of someone else doing "something more right" or having better answers or better qualifications. Having "lobang, Kaki, or Network" may get you into an interview but won't it get you the job. The interviewer normally will not be the one giving you the job. Normally someone else like the end user or Hiring Manager will do that after a discussion of the final shortlisted individuals

Aside from interview presence, do you really have the required knowledge for a position. The art of embellishment on a resume/CV is common knowledge and the interviewer will rapidly get to the bottom of it. "I am an advanced EXCEL user" but has never done a spreadsheet with pivot tables or scenarios or created complex formulas doesn't get it. "Involved with" doesn't say anything about what you can actually do. So, at the end of the day, does your CV actually give a qualified picture of yourself? If it doesn't, you may get into a number of interviews but your closure rate will be a lot less because many with see it for what it really is.

Another possibility is "will you fit into a certain corporate culture?" This one is hard to pin down. Usually, it can only be determined by one with substantial experience with that corporate culture. This one cannot be learned and frankly is gut instinct for the most part. This one can also vary between interviewers and is rather subjective considering the general nervousness of a jobseeker. Of course there are the psychometric tests that a lot of companies use. This is usually for management/Executive positions. There are not "right" or "wrong" answers for these types of tests which does make it hard for "Singaporeans" with a test taking mentality only.

The other possibility is that you are asking for an amount of remuneration that is out of line with the jobs you are applying for. It's nice to have good sense of self-worth but only if it remains inline with market practice or conditions.

One other thing, if coming to me for an interview, I have a bad impression in general of Job Hopping in general. Especially when I see thing like "change of environment" or "More money" (and the following jobs is for the same amount of money or less-with no more opportunity for vertical advancement or responsibilities). Change of environment means to me that you had problem with the corporate culture and could not adapt or they couldn't adapt to you - one or the other. Others may see it differently, I'm just giving a personal POV. Of course this depends on a lot of other things like the fact that all companies aren't pleasant to work for either. (It is a two way street and certain companies get bad names - witness some of the large MNC's mentioned in other threads on this board.)

Don't know if any of this will help but at least it's free. Even considering your previous troll-like comments in another post.

sms

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 4:59 pm

good thing you replied sms, with a such dumb looking title like that I would otherwise never have bothered checking it out, which would be unfortunate as they are pretty valid questions

as your reply covered most of what I would have said anyway, I would only add that, no, you are not entitled to know why - the few times I asked I never got the real story, so if you do find out, consider yourself lucky but expect a politically-influenced reply, you will probably not get a truthful one

from the OP's OP, there is probably a lot of room for improvement by self-examination, if the manner of speaking and grammar are any indication of how he/she presents themself

try this - video yourself as a friend interviews you, and polish your anticipated replies

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 8:04 pm

SMS, that was a very detailed and helpful post. If I were ever to be interviewed by you, I will remember to wear a very short skirt so you will forget to look out for all those reasons not to hire me!

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 9:15 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:SMS, that was a very detailed and helpful post. If I were ever to be interviewed by you, I will remember to wear a very short skirt so you will forget to look out for all those reasons not to hire me!

SMS does not stands for "SHORT MINI SKIRT". :P :lol:
IBMing

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:27 pm

briceloh wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:SMS, that was a very detailed and helpful post. If I were ever to be interviewed by you, I will remember to wear a very short skirt so you will forget to look out for all those reasons not to hire me!

SMS does not stands for "SHORT MINI SKIRT". :P :lol:

WANNA BET! :lol: :cool: :P

WIMH, I should be so lucky! :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 17 Dec 2006 1:48 am

Yes and see the blood pressure rise :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Dec 2006 3:33 pm

ksl wrote:
Yes and see the blood pressure rise :D

Probably wouldn't be the only thing! :^o

Return to “General Discussions”