Singapore Expats Forum

Free Beer for Native Chinese Speakers

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

MW77

Free Beer for Native Chinese Speakers

Postby MW77 » Wed, 13 Dec 2006 9:50 am

I'm interested in learning some Chinese. I have spent the last few years working in Beijing and I want to keep up the momentum. My level is still pretty basic (simple conversation and not many characters)

I appreciate that your English will be better than my Chinese so I can help with higher level English.

I have a good background in creative writing and journalism - published in some well known lifestyle magazines. I have also lead marketing departments - so I could also teach you to create effective copy and prose.

Anyone interested - please drop me a private message.

Only a few requirements - no kids, no missionaries and you have to be interested in having a laugh whilst learning.

I am 29, male, from the UK - I envision that I will be working here for a few years - currently with a biotech startup. I like cultural and sporting activities so a combination of sailing, squash, biking, running, fishing, hiking, music/art events, etc and learning would be fantastic. Otherwise hooking up in cafes, bars, hawker centres would be fine.

This could happen once a week or more - my schedule is pretty light outside work.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Vincent Mothballs

additional option

Postby Vincent Mothballs » Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:37 pm

You could also try the Pimsleur courses. I have just started a Pimsleur course, and whilst no course is perfect, this is pretty easy to follow, and produces results. It is not like studying at all, just follow and practice. It will give you much more additional practice than just an hour class/meet-up...and it is at your own time and pace

MW77

Postby MW77 » Thu, 14 Dec 2006 9:06 am

Thanks Vincent - yes ive worked through the pimsleur audio series (1 to 3) I dont think it goes further than that. I spent 2 years in China so I have the basics. www.chinesepod.com is the best resource i have found for learning but there is no real substitute for the pressure of direct contact. Cheers. M

changes

Postby changes » Wed, 17 Jan 2007 8:26 pm

Hi
I am from HK, native cantonese speaker but i can share my chinese knowledge with you. For example, chinese characters. (FOC) I speak mandarin too but they said..i sound like malaysian...
let me know if you are interested.
Cheers
hkgirl :D

changes

Postby changes » Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:05 pm

Hello MW77,
I am too new here..cannot reply pm..please send me your contact such as email. msn..i will get back to you..
cheers
Hk Girl :D