Singapore Expats Forum

New computer, advertised as coming with operating system

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:32 am

jpatokal wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:My colleague got a brand new IBM laptop and the battery never worked from day one. Suspect standards are slipping across the board, so to speak.

It's not IBM anymore -- it's Lenovo. But Thinkpads had already started to suck before Lenovo took 'em over.

For what it's worth, I've been happy with my Dell, although it's a matter of time until it too explodes given the abuse I dish out... :o

Suppose it maybe wasn't that "new" then afterall and an indication as to why the battery failed. He only got it 4 or 5 months ago but i'm pretty sure it doesn't have Lenovo written on it but you can still go around shops and find "IBM".

My Toshiba is about 4-yrs old now and on it's second HD but again, i throw it around a fair bit as well. Taught me a good lesson on what to synchronise to my server :roll: Wish i had "imminent failure" notice.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:18 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Suppose it maybe wasn't that "new" then afterall and an indication as to why the battery failed. He only got it 4 or 5 months ago but i'm pretty sure it doesn't have Lenovo written on it but you can still go around shops and find "IBM".

That's because Lenovo purchased the right to use the IBM trademark.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:35 pm

jpatokal wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:Suppose it maybe wasn't that "new" then afterall and an indication as to why the battery failed. He only got it 4 or 5 months ago but i'm pretty sure it doesn't have Lenovo written on it but you can still go around shops and find "IBM".

That's because Lenovo purchased the right to use the IBM trademark.

Yeah, misread your initial post, sorry. Thought you had said Lenova had started using their own name at the time of the IBM purchase

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Wed, 20 Dec 2006 7:14 pm

an update...

I must say, the engineer that came and replaced the hard disk was very helpful. Score one for HP - very prompt & efficient. Got a lot of questions also answered re upgradability of my pc.

He even copied across the 80GB of games I downloaded from jumboplay.

I'm a happy little vegemite now.