Singapore Expats

New computer, advertised as coming with operating system

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

New computer, advertised as coming with operating system

Post by Splatted » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 5:06 am

I've recently signed up for a 2 year contract with starhub in order to get a new computer. The advertising material stated "windows media centre" included in the package, and I even paid the extra $299 as I wanted this OS.

when I got home today and opened the box - no cds!

Is this legal? I thought if you were advertising software included in the package, you had to provide installation disks.

When ringing, customer service at HP told me what I already knew re creating restore disks, and about the "backup" they created in D drive - but it all seems dodgy. I'm feeling a tad ripped off at the moment.

For the extra $299 I paid I certainly could have got all the other extra bits and pieces for less elsewhere, eg hard disk.

So anyway, does anyone know whether you can advertise an OS installed on a computer as a part of a package, and then not provide any installation disks? Where can one find out?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 6:14 am

Very common practice for all computers sold these days. There will be a partition on te hard drive but no CD's. Piracy prevention scheme.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 6:40 pm

so what does one do when their computer HD totally dies? (as has happened to me previously, with my old Compaq.)

I shouldn't have to re-purchase software already paid for once. :mad:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 14 Dec 2006 1:37 pm

Use the create rescue disks to make your own from the back up partition.
I agree 229 seems steep for an OS with no disks.
But you wont have to buy again should your Hard Disk crash.
At least record the serial number of you product.

It's pretty normal nowadays to have to create your own OS back up disks. Has the added benifit of including all the drivers you need for your system. Not such a s bad thing.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 14 Dec 2006 1:42 pm

bigfilsing wrote:Use the create rescue disks to make your own from the back up partition.

It's pretty normal nowadays to have to create your own OS back up disks. Has the added benifit of including all the drivers you need for your system. Not such a s bad thing.
OEM licence package sold to companies making computers, it also cuts down on the piracy, consumers expect an OS, used to be zero OS, and you had to pay full price or get your own, so it is a pretty good deal, I believe. Although 229$ seems a little over the top, I think you may have a good deal on the components.

Many in Computer business, slash prices on the components, to attract buyers, and then bump up the accessories in price, because profit margins are so tight on the component side. I would believe you have a pretty good deal out of it!

My old boss, used to let processors go at ridiculous prices, under cost! on sale promotions, So that people would have their machines built, with his company, although other components carried the cost. Some margins are very very low in the industry, and if you are not capable of finding the balance to stimulate sales, you are bankrupt.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:01 am

ksl wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:Use the create rescue disks to make your own from the back up partition.

OEM licence package sold to companies making computers, it also cuts down on the piracy, consumers expect an OS, used to be zero OS, and you had to pay full price or get your own, so it is a pretty good deal, I believe. Although 229$ seems a little over the top, I think you may have a good deal on the components.
The $299 I paid wasn't purely for the upgrade on OS, but included a larger hard drive, some different parts, mostly of similar value from what I can tell, and a faster processor.

Yes, it is a bargain, I agree. If they said the software were free on purchase of the package, I wouldn't have mind so much, but the software was part and parcel of the package and advertised that way.

The whole bit that got up my nose was that on one hand their main reason for not including the disks were that "people lose them", and when you ask them what to do if you entire HD dies - you're supposed to make your own recovery disks. Clearly it had zero to do with people losing disks, or else they wouldn't instruct people to make their own recovery disks. Saving money I believe was the bigger agenda.

They finally ended up sending me disks, by the way, free of charge (ordinarily they charge $15++). I think they got fed up with me calling two days straight.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Dec 2006 1:32 am

Splatted wrote:
ksl wrote:

The $299 I paid wasn't purely for the upgrade on OS, but included a larger hard drive, some different parts, mostly of similar value from what I can tell, and a faster processor.

Yes, it is a bargain, I agree. If they said the software were free on purchase of the package, I wouldn't have mind so much, but the software was part and parcel of the package and advertised that way.

The whole bit that got up my nose was that on one hand their main reason for not including the disks were that "people lose them", and when you ask them what to do if you entire HD dies - you're supposed to make your own recovery disks. Clearly it had zero to do with people losing disks, or else they wouldn't instruct people to make their own recovery disks. Saving money I believe was the bigger agenda.

They finally ended up sending me disks, by the way, free of charge (ordinarily they charge $15++). I think they got fed up with me calling two days straight.
I think you have done very well, to be honest, especially to get the disks :lol: if you don't ask you don't get! It can be a struggle sometimes! Off topic I know, but I purchased a t- shirt cheap only 11$ I thought my wife would like it, the shop said it was free size! When i got home it would only fit my 6 year old daughter!

So I complained, considering that it was a man & womans clothing shop, didn't help at all! couldn't get my money back, so I let my daughter keep it, although the pattern isn't suitable for a 6 year old! :mad: The shops full of these T shirts, that will only fit children, and they sell them to adults, and call it free size :???:

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Fri, 15 Dec 2006 6:34 am

ksl wrote:
I think you have done very well, to be honest, especially to get the disks :lol: if you don't ask you don't get! It can be a struggle sometimes! Off topic I know, but I purchased a t- shirt cheap only 11$ I thought my wife would like it, the shop said it was free size! When i got home it would only fit my 6 year old daughter!

So I complained, considering that it was a man & womans clothing shop, didn't help at all! couldn't get my money back, so I let my daughter keep it, although the pattern isn't suitable for a 6 year old! :mad: The shops full of these T shirts, that will only fit children, and they sell them to adults, and call it free size :???:
No offence but free size used to be interpreted as for fat people. In those days,i bought them to put onto my car's seat. hehe :wink:

I think you have to be careful these days. Consumer social responsibiliy isn't the "IN" thing now. They write whatever they like, just so they can sell and make profits. :mad:
IBMing

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Dec 2006 3:11 pm

briceloh wrote:
ksl wrote:

No offence but free size used to be interpreted as for fat people. In those days,i bought them to put onto my car's seat. hehe :wink:

I think you have to be careful these days. Consumer social responsibiliy isn't the "IN" thing now. They write whatever they like, just so they can sell and make profits. :mad:
yes free size to me, is also one size fits all, so it is large, then M & S size can decide if they like it so baggy. Although the shock is it just fits a 6 year old. :o I took it back with my daughter wearing it, but still couldn't get my money back! :evil:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 15 Dec 2006 8:51 pm

ksl wrote: I took it back with my daughter wearing it, but still couldn't get my money back! :evil:
Of course. It was used.

Must admit, i would be surprised these days at not getting CD's with computers as well. Goes to show i've been spending the last 5-yrs upgrading rather than buying new :roll:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:47 pm

Another update, just got a message on my pc when booting up "hard disk failure imminent" with the instruction to do a backup & replace.

Talk about bad luck. Me got myself a lemon :x :mad:

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 6:02 pm

Splatted wrote:Another update, just got a message on my pc when booting up "hard disk failure imminent" with the instruction to do a backup & replace.

Talk about bad luck. Me got myself a lemon :x :mad:
That's interesting, new pc with this problem? What OS is it running on? Windoze? :P
IBMing

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:17 pm

briceloh wrote: That's interesting, new pc with this problem? What OS is it running on? Windoze? :P
the OS is beside the point. Hard disk is going to die and it's only 6 days old. How the computer detects it, I wouldn't have a clue but the message comes up each time I turn the pc on now.

Leaving PC on now 24/7 till I can get in touch with support. Don't want to risk going without a pc at the moment.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sun, 17 Dec 2006 6:49 pm

Splatted wrote: the OS is beside the point. Hard disk is going to die and it's only 6 days old. How the computer detects it, I wouldn't have a clue but the message comes up each time I turn the pc on now.

Leaving PC on now 24/7 till I can get in touch with support. Don't want to risk going without a pc at the moment.
I've never been told of imminent HD failure before. It's a pity cause i've lost a few through the years. Wonder how it knows, too many bad sectors maybe?

My colleague got a brand new IBM laptop and the battery never worked from day one. Suspect standards are slipping across the board, so to speak.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:03 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:My colleague got a brand new IBM laptop and the battery never worked from day one. Suspect standards are slipping across the board, so to speak.
It's not IBM anymore -- it's Lenovo. But Thinkpads had already started to suck before Lenovo took 'em over.

For what it's worth, I've been happy with my Dell, although it's a matter of time until it too explodes given the abuse I dish out... :o
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague