Singapore Expats

PR (via spouse) & medical examination

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 2:59 am

PR (via spouse) & medical examination

Post by Splatted » Sat, 09 Dec 2006 11:32 pm

I've received my letter stating my PR has been approved subject to passing medical examination.

It turned out my blood pressure was high when visiting the doctor. Is it a requirement for the doctor to record BP in the form that goes to ICA or am I being stringed along week after week by this doctor?

He's already put me on 2 different medications which will end up costing me $30 + $42 per month.

I'm being told that in order to be granted PR, blood pressure must be below 140/90. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

Bodacious
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:24 am
Location: US

Post by Bodacious » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 6:58 am

No way, I can't believe they would actually go that far.
bink bink...llama llama llama

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4278
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005 2:13 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PR (via spouse) & medical examination

Post by Plavt » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 7:09 am

Splatted wrote: or am I being stringed along week after week by this doctor?

Let's hope not, it would be a very unprofessional doctor that did that.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 2:59 am

Post by Splatted » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 8:18 am

Bodacious wrote:No way, I can't believe they would actually go that far.
which one?

can't believe blood pressure is necessary? or rather, can't believe doctor would trick me?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: PR (via spouse) & medical examination

Post by ksl » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:20 am

Splatted wrote:I've received my letter stating my PR has been approved subject to passing medical examination.

It turned out my blood pressure was high when visiting the doctor. Is it a requirement for the doctor to record BP in the form that goes to ICA or am I being stringed along week after week by this doctor?

He's already put me on 2 different medications which will end up costing me $30 + $42 per month.

I'm being told that in order to be granted PR, blood pressure must be below 140/90. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?
140 is not really high, I have been up on 170, now back down between 120 and 140, with drinking vinegar, I stopped taking medication before I arrived in Singapore, I was on aspirin, I've never been one to take medication, and believe more in exercise although my blood pressure is related to mild central nerve damage, in the brain. 140 is the lower end for blood pressure, it will not effect your permission for PR, unless the doctor writes something detrimental.

I would suggest following his instruction untill you get your approval, then buy yourself a blood pressure unit, explain to the doctor, you are not keen to take the medication and would prefer to take up more exercise and other alternatives, to get your blood pressure down.

The doctors I have been told by specialists, that or 80% of the time they have no idea, why people have high blood pressure, it's quite possible you have had 140 all your life and is a genetic trait, rather than symptoms of any illness. They cannot know without monitoring all your life! or doing DNA tests.

Don't let it worry you, if he cannot give you a diagnosis for the high blood pressure, just play along with him, until you get approval, or until at least the submission of his report. I cannot imagine, that he /she would be against you getting PR, all doctors seem to lay it on with medication, its business. my last visit was 76$ for 3 days. although i did need the anti-biotics, otherwise i wouldn't even go to the doctors.

I consider myself just as knowledgeable on general health issues! The first thing all doctors do, when you visit, them is ask, you what is wrong! and those symptoms you can look up yourself in the majority of reference books, providing you are not a neurotic, good luck!

The main point from the doctors point of view is 140 is a warning of stress on the system, and it needs to be reduced! There are other ways to reduce blood pressure, without medication, which is a better way.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40467
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:07 pm

Splatted,

While the Medical is standard and would probably contain your blood pressure reading, It's primary purpose is to determine whether or not you have HIV, TB, Hepatitis (whichever one is contagious-ksl can tell you - I could never keep 'em straight). I don't think your Blood Pressure will actually hold you back (however I cannot guarantee it - POV only. My doctors (all polyclinic) keep me on both Atenolol & Norvasc which keeps mine down to around 140/85 which they say is acceptable.

I didn't have any blood pressure problems however when I got my PR. Only started manifesting itself 7 years ago after buying a chickencoop in the sky (HDB Flat) thereby caging this ole farmboy up........ :x

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 2:59 am

Post by Splatted » Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:49 pm

Just an update. Doctor finally signed my form which I was to submit to ICA. He didn't even bother writing the blood pressure. The only thing he wrote was "hypertension treated with medication".

So, feeling a bit conned right now. The second medication he added which cost me $42 was a diuretic and only lowered my blood pressure from 138/100 to 130/100 (he was actually aiming to drop the 100 bit down to 90).

Initially he was saying if he wrote down my BP back when it was 138/100 I would not get my PR, but he didn't have to write it at all.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40467
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:34 pm

Splatted wrote:Just an update. Doctor finally signed my form which I was to submit to ICA. He didn't even bother writing the blood pressure. The only thing he wrote was "hypertension treated with medication".

So, feeling a bit conned right now. The second medication he added which cost me $42 was a diuretic and only lowered my blood pressure from 138/100 to 130/100 (he was actually aiming to drop the 100 bit down to 90).

Initially he was saying if he wrote down my BP back when it was 138/100 I would not get my PR, but he didn't have to write it at all.
I'm a bit surprised as well. However, it looks like you are back on track. Hopefully, things will go smoothly now. Congrats.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 2:59 am

Post by Splatted » Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I'm a bit surprised as well. However, it looks like you are back on track. Hopefully, things will go smoothly now. Congrats.
Thanks. Spent 4 hours at ICA yesterday. I think they must win the award for slow-walking out of any government department I've come across.

Out of 13-ish cubicles devoted to PR applications, only 3 were (wo)manned.

Anyway, it's all over now, got that 1 week wait for IC card now.

kn1ghtx
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 4:08 am

Post by kn1ghtx » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 4:35 am

hi Splatted...

if I may know, was your spouse (the SPR holder) the husband or the wife??

thank you

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests