Singapore Expats

CPF for EP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:02 am

CPF for EP

Post by Ozzie2007 » Thu, 07 Dec 2006 5:49 pm

I am looking at my new contract and employer wants to be able to recover any payments that may be required for CPF. If I am not a PR but just use an EP each year (3 year contract), will I be required to make CPF contributions. Plus does the employer have to kick in and can they legally recover any contribution they have to make? I believe that I can get the money when I repatriate home, is this also true?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Posts: 11667
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Answers: 10
Location: Off The Red Dot

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Dec 2006 6:38 pm

EP's cannot contribute to CPF, even voluntarily.

Q: Are there any exceptions to the payment of CPF contributions for employees?

A: Yes, please refer to the list of exceptions below:

a) Foreigners on Employment Pass, Professional Visit Pass or Work Permit

CPF contributions are not allowed for foreigners. Both the employer’s and employee’s contributions for foreign employees on Employment Pass, Professional Visit Pass or Work Permit will be rejected.

User avatar
Posts: 3004
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 07 Dec 2006 8:13 pm

The clause in your contract is there in case you become a PR while employed for them. Strictly speaking, it's probably illegal (employer contributions should be paid by the employer, not you), but it's common practice anyway.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests