Singapore Expats

Sea Fishing

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
math_fr

Sea Fishing

Post by math_fr » Wed, 06 Dec 2006 4:27 pm

I would like to know where I could find a shop selling fishing rods and lures (without killing my wallet).

By the way, if you could give me an idea of what I could fish and where, I would be really greatful.

Thanks.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:13 am

There's a strip of fishing shops on Beach Rd, roughly opposite the Concourse mall.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Thu, 07 Dec 2006 7:48 am

There is a fishing tackle shop by Bugis Jct.
It is on I believe Rochor road.
Across the street from Landmark Hotel about 2/3 of the wat down the block towards Plaza Park Hotel.
It is one or two shops before the Blue Jaz Cafe. Which by the way is an excellent place to eat and it is not expensive.
It is on the same street the they had Hari Raya (Kampung Glam)

math_fr

Post by math_fr » Thu, 07 Dec 2006 9:12 am

Thanks for your help, I'll go there this week end and then I'll try to catch my first singaporean fish...

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:18 am

Welcome to Sport Fishing in Asia! I am an avid deepsea fisherman and although i do have a career that has nothing to do with fishing, I fish professionally at various tournaments around Asia, Canada, Mexico, and USA. Believe me when I say that the sail fish fishing in Malaysia is some of the best fishing around in the world! Not in Size, but in quantity! We did several trips last year where we landed over 20 sailfish in a weekend, best yet was 34 in a weekend between 4 of us on 2 boats. I can give you all sorts of tips and advice on where to go, what to catch, what to expect and what to pay for pretty much all of South East Asia! Please P.M. me for more information as certain shops are better at certain things depending on what you want to fish, the gear required and charters etc. Too much to even pretend to write down, so any specific questions, please let me know!

Cheers
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

math_fr

Post by math_fr » Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:51 am

I think at the beginning, I won't try sail fish fishing which probably need more experience than I have. But I will try at least once before the end of my days here.
In fact, I do not have a car, so I'm not able to have heavy rods and fishing tackle.
I think, I will start fishing with baits like shrimps or pieces of fish, and sometimes trying some lure fishing.
I don't know what kind of fish I could catch, and I don't want to be swindled by a vendor who will try to sell me some fancy but useless tackles... so any advice is welcome...

Thanks

Ps: I am not a beginner, I'm used of fishing (surfcasting and lure) in the mediteranean sea... but I'm sure here it's different...