Singapore Expats Forum

motorbike license

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ploclelapin

motorbike license

Postby ploclelapin » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:05 am

hi,

i'm french and then i have a french motorbike license.

is it easy to buy a motorbike in SG and usefull (frequent rainfull i have heard) ?

not too expensive ?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 1:54 pm

Bikes are cheap here, in comparison to Europe. So are parts and servicing. There's loads of 400 cc bikes so they are real cheap. Bigger R1's, GSXR's are neat but a pain in the arse around town ( stop start traffic) Pleanty of new and second hand shops here too. You might want to rent ( even a scooter) for a while first to see if you like Singapore traffic. The cars can be a bit inconsiderate towards bikes so it can be a bit dangerous if you dont pay attention or know what you're doing.

as far as i know you can ride on your french licence for 30 days as a tourist. After that you have to go to the traffic police to see how to get a Singapore licence. You may have to take a theory test. Not sure!

There's a big expat harley Davidson group but they're pretty much all weekend warriors that look like a Village People convention.
The tassle's and red hanky brigade :D

Good Luck

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Postby Grim Reaper » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 2:44 pm

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ersion.htm

Here you find all details needed, you will need to convert your licence and do a theory test, which is an easy job.

Bikes tend to be less expensive here than in Europe in most cases. Be aware that it is a densely populated city with intense traffic and people here really do not care about bikes in traffic, drive careful and be alert twice as much as back in Europe.

I recently bought a bike and must say I still enjoy it, despite all described. Rain is not a problem, same as back n Europe, just more volume! :D

Forget about the nonsense written about the Harley riders, we are a normal bunch of people.

Enjoy!
Time will come....

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 3:18 pm

Dear Mr Reaper. Dont be so grim! Lighten up ..it was a joke.

You must admit some of your chapter brethren take it a bit far.
I look ridiculos in my full race leathers too :D

Ride safely ...thats the most important