Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore Tomorrow

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
GoldFibre

Moving to Singapore Tomorrow

Postby GoldFibre » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 5:59 am

Hi everyone,

My next job is based in Singapore, so tomorrow I begin my flight to Singapore from Florida, USA. I am 22, male, and coming alone. The only contact I have in Singapore is my boss, who I have not yet met. However, he will not even be in Singapore until Dec 4 or 5! So I have a few days by myself to get acquainted.

If anybody would like to meet up and eat, go to a bar, or even go to a club so that we could talk, I would greatly appreciate the friendly gesture! There are a lot of things I need to learn, and it would be much easier with a friend. I will be checking this forum, and also you can contact me by e-mail at goldfibre@gmail.com.

Thanks,
James

whiZZ_nixZZ

Re: Moving to Singapore Tomorrow

Postby whiZZ_nixZZ » Thu, 30 Nov 2006 4:40 pm

GoldFibre wrote:Hi everyone,

My next job is based in Singapore, so tomorrow I begin my flight to Singapore from Florida, USA. I am 22, male, and coming alone. The only contact I have in Singapore is my boss, who I have not yet met. However, he will not even be in Singapore until Dec 4 or 5! So I have a few days by myself to get acquainted.

If anybody would like to meet up and eat, go to a bar, or even go to a club so that we could talk, I would greatly appreciate the friendly gesture! There are a lot of things I need to learn, and it would be much easier with a friend. I will be checking this forum, and also you can contact me by e-mail at goldfibre@gmail.com.

Thanks,
James

Hi james welcome to singapore. So hows your day?

marj_kee
Chatter
Chatter

Postby marj_kee » Thu, 30 Nov 2006 5:34 pm

James, you here yet ?

GoldFibre

Postby GoldFibre » Fri, 01 Dec 2006 6:21 am

I'm here!

Today I need to check in with work and sign some government papers. After that I'm going to explore and hopefully buy a cell phone. (although I don't yet have an address here so that might be a problem) I also need to find a permanent place to stay in the next week or so.

So far everyone I have spoken to has been incredibly nice. I didn't get a good look at the city yet, but I am looking forward to it.

marj_kee
Chatter
Chatter

Postby marj_kee » Fri, 01 Dec 2006 9:43 am

GoldFibre wrote:I'm here!

Today I need to check in with work and sign some government papers. After that I'm going to explore and hopefully buy a cell phone. (although I don't yet have an address here so that might be a problem) I also need to find a permanent place to stay in the next week or so.

So far everyone I have spoken to has been incredibly nice. I didn't get a good look at the city yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Welcome !

Is this your first time in Singapore ?

Where are you putting up for the moment ?

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bunty » Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:35 am

Hi james

welcome to SG. where are u working.....and do u know in which part of SG you would need to stay....( from a convenience point)

cheers

bennybenny

Postby bennybenny » Fri, 01 Dec 2006 12:11 pm

Hi.. What do u do? Welcome to SG.. :)

ria3n
Regular
Regular

Postby ria3n » Fri, 01 Dec 2006 2:47 pm

welcome..

GoldFibre

Postby GoldFibre » Fri, 01 Dec 2006 6:29 pm

bunty wrote:Hi james

welcome to SG. where are u working.....and do u know in which part of SG you would need to stay....( from a convenience point)

cheers

Right now I am staying in the Paramount Hotel. Initially I will be using office space at the GEO-Logistics building: 1 Changi North Way, but soon we will move. Unfortunately, I don't know where to, but my coworker said I should find an apartment near the city center, because that would be the best location for the new office.

hello_20

Postby hello_20 » Sat, 02 Dec 2006 3:15 pm

Hi James,

Warm welcome to Singapore. Hope you will find your stay in Singapore a memorable one. Yes, your colleague is correct, find a place near the city. By the way what is your profession?

Cheers.

GoldFibre

Postby GoldFibre » Sat, 02 Dec 2006 3:27 pm

hello_20 wrote:Hi James,

Warm welcome to Singapore. Hope you will find your stay in Singapore a memorable one. Yes, your colleague is correct, find a place near the city. By the way what is your profession?

Cheers.

My stay has already been memorable after only 2 days, and I have met some friends - so I am off to a good start! I will be Project Manager for Agility Logistics. I don't know all the details yet, but the company wants to buy more office space in Singapore. I will be dealing with all of the contractors for this project. My job requires that I fly to the Middle East and UK pretty often.

Today I have been looking through classifieds to find some other westerner expats to rent a room from. Tell me if you know someone looking for a roommate!

-James

Shazers
Regular
Regular

hey

Postby Shazers » Sat, 02 Dec 2006 6:26 pm

howdie James,

Welcome to Singapore!!!

Shazers
8-)

greenrover

Postby greenrover » Sun, 03 Dec 2006 8:02 am

Google for /easy room share' but don't limit yourself to westerners for room mates.....you might find a local can show you around better and help you adjust quicker if one has a spare room.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 03 Dec 2006 5:37 pm

greenrover wrote:Google for /easy room share' but don't limit yourself to westerners for room mates.....you might find a local can show you around better and help you adjust quicker if one has a spare room.

...and if you do Google, this will probably be at the top of the list if you search right:

http://classifieds.singaporeexpats.com/ ... hp/cat/122
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

GoldFibre

Postby GoldFibre » Sun, 03 Dec 2006 6:07 pm

jpatokal wrote:
greenrover wrote:Google for /easy room share' but don't limit yourself to westerners for room mates.....you might find a local can show you around better and help you adjust quicker if one has a spare room.

...and if you do Google, this will probably be at the top of the list if you search right:

http://classifieds.singaporeexpats.com/ ... hp/cat/122

Actually I have aready been using this website to find leads for the past 2 days. I visited an apartment today that I found through singaporeexpats.com!