Singapore Expats

JAL - JAPAN Airlines

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
flybyandby

Post by flybyandby » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 5:09 pm

What time @ultimatevanilla @skyblink was the mail sent to you?
Last edited by flybyandby on Sat, 15 Feb 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ultimatevanilla

Post by ultimatevanilla » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 9:28 am

Hi @skyblink, mine timing is 1645hrs but I have replied to request for change. Pending reply.

Hi @flyyandby, received the email at 9.40am yesterday. Dont worry they may be still sending out. Good luck~!

iloveredroses

Post by iloveredroses » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 3:16 pm

I received my mail at 940am too.
Last edited by iloveredroses on Sat, 15 Feb 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iloveredroses

Post by iloveredroses » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 7:11 pm

Would like to share my experience from the first round of interview I had with JAL today. 

Always be there at least 10mins before your interview time. The first thing when you reach, they will provide you with a number and thereafter measure your height. Don't bother trying if your height does not fulfil the requirement. It'll be a waste of your time. 

Next, try to talk to the other interviewees while waiting for your turn. This shows you have initiative to start a conversation and are easily approachable.

My interview was done in a group of 5, there were 2 japanese interviewers and 2 Singaporean interviewers. They are very nice and friendly, so don't be too nervous although it's understandably inevitable. The Singaporean lady interviewer did most of the talking.

Before they started with the interview, the interviewer told us that a starter cabin crew will earn about $2500 INCLUDING allowance. If you want a high salary you can forget about this job. They look for people who really want to be up there. 

They will ask you to do a self introduction. After that they will ask you some basic questions. For me they asked me to do a self-introduction in Japanese as I did state in my application that I could speak Japanese. They ask you questions to help you gain points so answer them wisely. If you can only speak a few words of Japanese, DON'T try and act smart otherwise you are going to fumble when they ask you to speak in Japanese. 

After the group interview, you will proceed to do a chinese reading of a script. It basically says "Thank you for taking Japan Airlines blah blah blah." Not too difficult if you regularly speak some mandarin here and there.

After that you are done. Can go home and wait for your good news! They did mention that if you are shortlisted you will be informed 2 days later. So you won't be waiting for too long in agony.

All the best to everyone!

singascand

Post by singascand » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 8:52 pm

Hi @iloveredroses, thank you for sharing your experience. Are you still keen in taking the job if you're offered? $2500 seems little.. is it?

Thanks again for sharing. I am interested in the job and will apply the next round. But worried about age as I am 28. Do you also have any idea if there are girls in their late 20s there?

iloveredroses

Post by iloveredroses » Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:27 am

Hi @singascand, I am 27 so I think I'm considered late 20s I guess? :)

I think you can always give it a try, don't give up without even trying!

Well $2500 is indeed not the best salary you can get in the flight industry. There are many other airlines offering much more. That is why it is important you know your priorities. Are you there for the money, or do you really want a cabin crew career?

These are some questions you have to ask yourself. $2500 can be considered a paycut for me but I am willing to go for it as I really love Japan and its culture. I would love to be able to fly to Japan so often!

singascand

Post by singascand » Sun, 16 Feb 2014 2:07 am

@iloveredroses I see, thanks for the reply. I wish you all the best and hope you get the job :)

I love Japan too :_)

sephirothictree

Post by sephirothictree » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 5:04 pm

Did anyone receive any email regarding the second interview?

iloveredroses

Post by iloveredroses » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 8:13 pm

I received not long ago, anyone else also received?

theworsturlever

Post by theworsturlever » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 9:24 pm

Hi, could any ex-JAL FA or a JAL candidate who got through the final interview give a detailed recount on how it was like?

Also, how was the skin check conducted. Is it done by a beautician with a spotlight (similar to SIA's)? What do they look out for (e.g. scars, tattoos, birthmarks)? Would we be required to remove all accessories/jewellery/watch? And would you recommend concealing them with make-up?

Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks (:

skyblink

Post by skyblink » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 2:17 am

I've heard that JAL only fly japan - kl routes now. Crew hardly get rostered Paris or NYC routes these days. Also, they DO NOT pro rate their $10,000 bond should you decide to leave before your bond is over. Do think twice before you put your name down on the contract.

iloveredroses

Post by iloveredroses » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:05 am

hi @skyblink, are you able to provide more info on whether the person who provided you this feedback is reliable or not?

does anyone know of JAL's employee benefits like travel benefits/medical/annual leave etc?

chocolatesouffle

Post by chocolatesouffle » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 3:53 pm

Hi girls, I have many friends in the airline industry and one of them is working in JAL and this is what I heard from her;

Just to make things simple, JAL is like any other full carrier airline like SQ. If you actually did your research, JAL had 40 over international destinations. However, foreign base crews like the Singaporeans only fly certain routes like JFK, CDG and KUL. It's decided by the company (both Singapore & Japan). There also seem to be shuffling of routes amongst the foreign base too. And changing of seasonal schedules gets the foreign base new flight patterns too.

If you'd like to compare, I have a SQ friend too, she tend to fly Aussie routes. Sometimes others like DEL, HKG.. SQ definitely seem more attractive for the work (guys do galley), salary (one of the world'a highest paid flight attendants, plus profit bonus sharing) and great destinations (because it's home-based).

For JAL Japanese crews, what I heard from my friend is that they only fly on routes that they are assigned to and there will be shuffling of routes amongst their "groups". Also, if they are not trained on say 767 or 787, they won't be flying to Singapore unless 777 comes Singapore. So they DONT fly everywhere.

For my friend, her flight pattern is usually 7-8 days away from home. She will go Japan then to JFK or other counties, back to Japan then back home. If you look at it. It's actually two "flight patterns" but a lot of days away from home. Ultimately JAL is Japan base. From sg you can only go to NRT or HND. Then from NRT/HND to other countries.

Every airline as their pros and cons I guess. If MONEY is your main concern, just keep on trying SQ, period. If not, there are other great airlines too. Like emirates, silk air, scoot...

As for to know company benefits, I think you could try asking the company during the interview if you dare. For this is confidential information that my friend didn't even disclose much.

All in all, I suggest you to have a very prepared mind to work with the Japanese as there might be cultural differences. Every industry has it's own shit to deal with. Mean people nice people. You'll understand it when you're in the working industry. If it's hard to get SQ, how about trying other airlines and jumping over after? As for my friend, she enjoys her work and has good schedules. Nothing comes free. You have to work hard for it.

And to answer the skin check, it's not as strict as SQ. Of course, it'll be pleasant to have healthy skin and not face full of battle scars that cannot be concealed. Imagine you're a passenger of any airline, won't you like your attendant to be pretty? Tattoo wise, not anywhere visible I guess.

Lastly, regarding salary, I'm a graduate from local UNI. My classmate can't even find a job. My salary is even lower than JAL's take home pay. And I get stuck in office 9-5/ 5 days a week with a contract. My friend gets to travel, look pretty, gets more money than me. I'd love her job too.

Good luck to those having the interview and congrats to those who got it!

cjn

Post by cjn » Sun, 18 May 2014 3:51 pm

Anyone going for the upcoming interview?

Reis

Post by Reis » Mon, 19 May 2014 11:32 am

Hi.. May i know when did you receive your email?