Singapore Expats Forum

Need help in buying present for German lass

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Soldat

Need help in buying present for German lass

Postby Soldat » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 6:03 pm

Hi there everyone!

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if i am posting this in the wrong area. I did read for about 3hrs+ to make sure this thread of the forum would not be the wrong place to start so do forgive any impertinence in this area.

I'm a local chinese Singaporean who is dating and very much in love with a German beauty.

She's been so good and kind to me, and such a darling. I want to be able to give something back to her that is both meaningful and reminds her of her proud heritage... probably during X'mas.

I was wondering if there are any Deutsche folks out there who have any great ideas to help out here with what to get that is meaningful. Cost is not so much of an issue, although i was hoping to keep it under $2k.

So no ideas such as buying her a BMW and telling her, "Wonderful piece of German engineering, just like you." will work here :lol:

So my fellow forumers, I beg of thee, assist me! :)

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 6:19 pm

My friend, when it comes to gifts, especially from a lover, women are universal. German or no, the key is knowing your woman well enough to know what floats her boat.

Consider:

Jewelry - you must know her preference and style. Is she understated in the way she wears jewlery? then find the most perfectly understated, yet stand out piece you can find.

Clothing - Is there a particular style she really looks good in? Buy the best in that style. Or imagine her in your mind's eye as you would like her to look and find the clothes that fill that image.

The Heart - Ahh... do you really know what your woman is about? What pleases her, what she believes in, what she really likes to do? If she's a techno freak (probably unlikely) then a great piece of techno gear would do the deal. Has she got a soft spot for something in particular? Art? Music? Would she like it if you donated to a foundation that supports orphans and you gave her a picture of the orphans?

The sky is really the limit. What gets tricky is doing this for 29 years.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 6:35 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What gets tricky is doing this for 29 years.

Ain't it the truth! But I'm only at 24 with this one. :)

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 8:17 pm

You guys have got it all wrong. After a couple of years, we prefer just to use your credit card and tell you what you bought us. ;)

Soldat - I think it would be much better to buy her something from YOUR culture and meaningful to YOU, that you want to share with HER. S$2k is over the top. Thought and effort is more important than price - or at least it should be.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 9:03 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Jewelry - you must know her preference and style. Is she understated in the way she wears jewlery? then find the most perfectly understated, yet stand out piece you can find.

Clothing - Is there a particular style she really looks good in? Buy the best in that style. Or imagine her in your mind's eye as you would like her to look and find the clothes that fill that image.

Sorry Mr. Eagle, but even without 29 years of experience I've gotta say I find your suggestions pretty dangerous. Jewelry and clothing are both very difficult to buy for someone else and you run a major risk of spending a lot of money on something she'll never wear -- unless, of course, you know for a fact that there's some particular object that she's been batting eyelashes at and sighing meaningfully for a long time.

I agree that trying to buy her something meaningfully German is going to be pretty hopeless, this is already tough enough a task without that additional constraint...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:17 pm

jpatokal wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Jewelry - you must know her preference and style. Is she understated in the way she wears jewlery? then find the most perfectly understated, yet stand out piece you can find.

Sorry Mr. Eagle, but even without 29 years of experience I've gotta say I find your suggestions pretty dangerous. Jewelry and clothing are both very difficult to buy for someone else and you run a major risk of spending a lot of money on something she'll never wear -- unless, of course, you know for a fact that there's some particular object that she's been batting eyelashes at and sighing meaningfully for a long time.

I agree that trying to buy her something meaningfully German is going to be pretty hopeless, this is already tough enough a task without that additional constraint...

I must be pretty lucky then. I've had great success in these lines... and I know I have had a couple of duds because they have never been out of the closet.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:19 am

Strong Eagle wrote:... and I know I have had a couple of duds because they have never been out of the closet.

Couldn't be too bad. Maybe not outta the closet but you seem to be outta the doghouse. :P

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Sat, 25 Nov 2006 2:29 pm

You are dating her. Why not fly to someplace exotic and do a trail or two in some rainforest?

German youth usually like adventure. She would love it.

I would suggest Taman Negara if you havent been.
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 25 Nov 2006 5:16 pm

According to the book "The 5 Love Languages" (a good read for all couples), there are 5 ways people show and feel love:

1. Words of affirmation
2. Quality time
3. Acts of service
4. Physical touch
5. Gifts

There is some merit to this and if her dominant language is not gifts, then a $2k gift won't do much and may only make her feel under pressure to reciprocate at a later date with something equally pricey. A holiday together makes sense if she values quality time.

I also think that of everyone here, you know her best and your judgement will be better than the advice of total strangers. Why not just ask her what she wants?

ps: Seasider, you said it best. :D

Soldat

Postby Soldat » Sun, 26 Nov 2006 3:40 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I also think that of everyone here, you know her best and your judgement will be better than the advice of total strangers. Why not just ask her what she wants?

ps: Seasider, you said it best. :D

Thanks WIMH, that is a very valid point. She did mention last time that she loves being surprised... and that is what i am aiming to do here with this gesture.

I think I should clarify that I am not definitely intending to buy a "product" per se, but an "experience" which can be represented by and idea, and item or anything in between.

Thanks for the 5 languages thing... really food for thought!

Soldat

Postby Soldat » Sun, 26 Nov 2006 3:43 pm

jpatokal wrote:I agree that trying to buy her something meaningfully German is going to be pretty hopeless, this is already tough enough a task without that additional constraint...

Therein lies my predicament! And also why I'm here. :shock: Ooops... i don't mean that you guys are my last resort, but I'm just trying to make sure I've exhausted every option available.

Soldat

Postby Soldat » Sun, 26 Nov 2006 3:51 pm

seasider wrote:You guys have got it all wrong. After a couple of years, we prefer just to use your credit card and tell you what you bought us. ;)

Soldat - I think it would be much better to buy her something from YOUR culture and meaningful to YOU, that you want to share with HER. S$2k is over the top. Thought and effort is more important than price - or at least it should be.

Haha! If only it were so easy!

I know her well enough that she won't spend more than $5 on herself this way. She has this habit of refusing help, pampering, etc.. from others. She likes to be an independant woman and doesn't want to accept help from others.

It took me a long time before she "let" me help her out financially with her sick mum, and only because it was either take my help or stop getting treatment. She's also the most giving soul i know, not sparing a dime despite her situation when it comes to giving for the poor & needy.

The only time she accepts gifts is during her birthday, valentine's day and X'mas.

Haha... I realise I might be rambling at this point... so sorry for that!

Hmm... countdown is 23 days before the "day". I better get cracking!