Singapore Expats Forum

Neighbor dilemma

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

leopardi55s

Neighbor dilemma

Postby leopardi55s » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:27 pm

Need some advice on a neighbor issue. Don't want to bias it with my position so...

"Dave" is in a four story apartment building. His bedroom is right above the bedroom of "Kevin," his downstairs neighbor. Dave uses his aircon at night and the pipe that drains the water sticks out from the wall outside his bedroom. Unfortunately, the pipe is also right outside Kevin's window and Kevin sleeps with his windows open (i.e., he doesn't use aircon at all). The dripping of the water from the pipe keeps him awake at night.

To solve the problem, the pipe needs to be adjusted (turned toward the building, away from the window). Dave and Kevin have tried other things but they haven't worked. The cost estimate is S$450, primarily b/c scaffolding needs to be erected to get to the pipes.

Question: Who should pay for the pipes to be adjusted? (Again, assume this is the only solution as others have been tried and that all parties have been assured that this will, indeed, work.)

Dave says he's just using the aircon provided to him in a normal way so he's doing nothing unreasonable or out of the ordinary. He should be free to use his aircon.

Kevin says that he's just trying to sleep but the neighbor's aircon drainage is preventing this. He should be free to sleep without disturbance.

The building manager says he has provided a very standard aircon configuration (unit outside window with drainage pipe attached) and that no other tenants have this problem with each other, so he's not responsible for special requests.

All parties are friendly and just want a standard or precedent to guide next steps.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 6:43 pm

If the aircon installation is standard for the building, and not defective, then Dave is under no obligation to make changes, and Kevin should bear the cost since it is his decision to sleep without aircon and the windows open. Dave could offer to contribute something to maintain good relations.

But, why not just tie a piece of rope onto the drain so that the water runs down the rope past Kevin's window?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:14 pm

A shame it's not Taiwan, because it is against the law, for aircons to drip! Maybe they have some kind of silly law here too!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:16 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:If the aircon installation is standard for the building, and not defective, then Dave is under no obligation to make changes, and Kevin should bear the cost since it is his decision to sleep without aircon and the windows open. Dave could offer to contribute something to maintain good relations.

But, why not just tie a piece of rope onto the drain so that the water runs down the rope past Kevin's window?
:cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:21 am

Thus spake the engineer! :wink:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 25 Nov 2006 3:30 am

Got to love the engineer's solution. Reminds me of a quote from another forumer's signature line.

"One has to look out for engineers they begin with sewing machines and end up with the atomic bomb."

The question begs to be answered. Who will pay for the rope? If OP would kindly keep us updated on the outcome. :P

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 25 Nov 2006 4:13 am

earthfriendly wrote:Got to love the engineer's solution. Reminds me of a quote from another forumer's signature line.

"One has to look out for engineers they begin with sewing machines and end up with the atomic bomb."

The question begs to be answered. Who will pay for the rope? If OP would kindly keep us updated on the outcome. :P

:D :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Nov 2006 9:02 am

yeah, yeah, yeah......... Don't let it go to your head! :P

Mornin' Plavt! :cool:

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:19 am

If dripping water keeps Kevin awake, he and Dave obviously live in an extremely quiet part of Singapore.

Dave - buy Kevin some earplugs and a bottle of whisky.

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Mon, 27 Nov 2006 7:49 am

shift flats .

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 7:46 pm

ksl wrote:A shame it's not Taiwan, because it is against the law, for aircons to drip! Maybe they have some kind of silly law here too!

There is also this law in Hong Kong but........ walk down any street in the summer make sure you have an umbrella.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 30 Nov 2006 2:52 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
ksl wrote:A shame it's not Taiwan, because it is against the law, for aircons to drip! Maybe they have some kind of silly law here too!

There is also this law in Hong Kong but........ walk down any street in the summer make sure you have an umbrella.

Or dress up in a suit like the one SMS is wearing! :P Must be great for stereo music!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:29 pm

:cool: The headgear in the current 'tar is an old Kirby-Morgan 9. surprising it does have dual speakers inside of neoprene pouches that cover each ear. unfortunately these aren't what you would call good speakers as they only cost about 2.50 each. It's also not much room for the subwoofer in there! :lol:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 30 Nov 2006 1:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's also not much room for the subwoofer in there! :lol:

Oh I thought that would be you. :P

I like 1843's solution to the OP's problem. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Nov 2006 1:20 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I like 1843's solution to the OP's problem. :)

Yeah but aren't they hard to move? How to take your's from the middle and move it? Oops, one843 has been here long enough to pick up the local vernacular. Move the family not the flat! :P