Singapore Expats Forum

Driving Directions from KL to Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

CKJ

Driving Directions from KL to Singapore

Postby CKJ » Wed, 22 Nov 2006 4:27 pm

Does anyone know where I can get good driving directions from KL to Singapore?

It's my first time driving down alone (previously drove down tagging another frequent traveller to Singapore) and I don't want to get lost.

I've read visitsingapore.com but doesn't provide much info. I'm planning to drive down this Friday and return on Sunday. I have my autopass card which prolly needs to be reloaded with money.

I need to go Ang Mo Kio in Singapore. So whilst I have also purchased a Street Directory book to find my way to AMK, any other guidance would be appreciated!! Dos and Don'ts especially

Thanks

hillview2006
Regular
Regular

Postby hillview2006 » Wed, 22 Nov 2006 5:24 pm

Hi CKJ,

It very easy to drive from KL to Singapore – If you start from PJ or Taman Tun- drive out from the Damansara Toll plaza and follow KLIA direction. This will bring you to the highway toward – Johor/singapore and KLIA. After that you have to follow Johor/Singapore direction all the time. I would recommend you to use the second link tuas instead of via Johor city. Singapore’s Map and road sign is much easier to go along to compare with Maps and road sign in Kuala Lumpur. We live in KL for 2 yrs 6 mths – I still can’t drive 'peacefully' there

Welcome and have a nice trip !!

CKJ

Postby CKJ » Wed, 22 Nov 2006 9:51 pm

Hi Hillview, thanks for the tip. Hopefully I won't get lost on my way to Tuas. I tried driving through the old checkpoint previously while tailing another friend and it was so jam packed.

Anyway, I'm suppose to drive to AMK. I read that if I don't have any in-unit ERP thingamajig, I need to ensure that I have sufficient funds in my Autopass card when I exit SG. Is this the case? I'm quite amazed that despite not having the device, they can still track my toll usage!

hillview2006
Regular
Regular

Postby hillview2006 » Thu, 23 Nov 2006 7:43 am

Yes, they can really track all your toll usage so make sure you have enough funds in your autopass….

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 29 Nov 2006 8:09 pm

CKJ wrote:Hi Hillview, thanks for the tip. Hopefully I won't get lost on my way to Tuas. I tried driving through the old checkpoint previously while tailing another friend and it was so jam packed.

Anyway, I'm suppose to drive to AMK. I read that if I don't have any in-unit ERP thingamajig, I need to ensure that I have sufficient funds in my Autopass card when I exit SG. Is this the case? I'm quite amazed that despite not having the device, they can still track my toll usage!

When are you leaving? I'm driving down Monday afternoon but you'll need to be quick to keep up :wink:

Okay from KL is dead easy on the N-S highway. It's only one road for about 250kms then there is a HUGE signboard that points to Singapore / Pelabuhan Tanjung Pelepas that puts you instantly on the Second Link.

Come off there and through the exit toll. Again, just keeping going on that road all the way to the checkpoint. If you have all your Autopass cards etc. already then just drive straight through.

This puts you automatically on the AYE in SG. If you are worried about getting lost just stay on the road. Stick to the right lane or middle lane until you reach a Y junction 30-40 minutes into SG where you will stay right. This then puts you on the CTE right up to AMK 10-15minutes later. All you need to do is get the correct AMK exit but these are well signposted. You should appreciate the signs are better than in KL!

With regards the tolls etc. you will not need to pay any, except the 2nd Link Bridge entry & exit. There is also the S$20 per day you need to consider. Entry after 5pm means that day is free. Weekends and public holidays are free. You get 10-days free per calander year and when you put your autopass card into the immigration check-point during your entry, it should say how many you have left.

Put money on your card to cover both these and you'll be fine.

Normally i budget for $20 per full day an $10 for the entry/exit toll. If you go into the CBD under a gantry then this is automatically $5 but you can then enter the CBD as often as you like that day.