Singapore Expats Forum

help! anyone knows about the law!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

_charms

help! anyone knows about the law!!

Postby _charms » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 8:10 pm

allright hi all.. im in trouble.. with my ex-company. the story goes like this.........

one of the nights i was working and this bag of money went missing and what i know it was a huge amount.. $1600? next day of work i heard about it and was shocked bcos another girl and me were the one mending the cashier and that means if any cash goes MISSING at the cashier area it is our resposibility.

but if it is not within the cashier area it has none of our business. so bla bla bla.. nothing was mentioned again, manager said he will look into the case. a week passed and i have already intend to quite like weeks back so i left the company.
few days after i "quit" my manager started calling and msg-ing me.. and one of the msg goes something like this.. "YOU OWE THE COMPANY MONEY, WHEN R U GOING TO RETURN?"

i was speeechless, when i left nothing was mentioned and now he's f*cking pushing all the blame to me just because i left. so we talked and he put the pressure on me saying something like "YOU KNOW I WONT WANT TO GET YOUR PARENTS INVOLVE...U KNOW WHAT TO DO(i didnt wanna get the poor folks involve).." i got stressed out so i went fine! TELL ME HOW MUCH I HAVE TO PAY AND ILL DO IT SO STOP MSG-ING ME and i stupidly agreed to pay half of the missing amount, OMG.

he turn back on his words and called my dad, bla bla bla.. and my parents are really mad about it bcos they are accusing their daughter so my dad told him NO SHE WONT PAY A SINGLE FU**KING CENT COS I BELIVE SHE DID NOT DO IT!! and there u go.. the case is now on, my dad says if we cant talk it through he will have to make a police report and all that.

few impt points: there isnt any security camera installed in the company.
i was damn sure i didnt even see that bag on money
he saved the msg that i agreed to paid half(proof)
the "money bag" is norm in the safe(which is behind,not
cashier area)
my partner for cashiering brought her bf in during our
"closing for the day" and i did left them alone while i went
the loo.

(read online that if you're under 21 anything sign or promise by you it's not er..confirm) i dont really get it.

so people, pls give me some advice.. im 19 and i nv had trouble with the law my entire goody-two-shoes life

THANK U

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 9:10 pm

Simple answer charms; your ex-manager needs evidence if he cannot provide any there is nothing he can legally do. Ask any solicitor he/she will tell you the same.

The fact that he has called your parents is harassment and I suggest you keep record of the date and time of every phone call should there be any legal action on either yours or his part.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: help! anyone knows about the law!!

Postby ksl » Wed, 22 Nov 2006 9:54 am

_charms wrote:allright hi all.. im in trouble.. with my ex-company. the story goes like this.........

one of the nights i was working and this bag of money went missing and what i know it was a huge amount.. $1600? next day of work i heard about it and was shocked bcos another girl and me were the one mending the cashier and that means if any cash goes MISSING at the cashier area it is our resposibility.

but if it is not within the cashier area it has none of our business. so bla bla bla.. nothing was mentioned again, manager said he will look into the case. a week passed and i have already intend to quite like weeks back so i left the company.
few days after i "quit" my manager started calling and msg-ing me.. and one of the msg goes something like this.. "YOU OWE THE COMPANY MONEY, WHEN R U GOING TO RETURN?"

i was speeechless, when i left nothing was mentioned and now he's f*cking pushing all the blame to me just because i left. so we talked and he put the pressure on me saying something like "YOU KNOW I WONT WANT TO GET YOUR PARENTS INVOLVE...U KNOW WHAT TO DO(i didnt wanna get the poor folks involve).." i got stressed out so i went fine! TELL ME HOW MUCH I HAVE TO PAY AND ILL DO IT SO STOP MSG-ING ME and i stupidly agreed to pay half of the missing amount, OMG.

he turn back on his words and called my dad, bla bla bla.. and my parents are really mad about it bcos they are accusing their daughter so my dad told him NO SHE WONT PAY A SINGLE FU**KING CENT COS I BELIVE SHE DID NOT DO IT!! and there u go.. the case is now on, my dad says if we cant talk it through he will have to make a police report and all that.

few impt points: there isnt any security camera installed in the company.
i was damn sure i didnt even see that bag on money
he saved the msg that i agreed to paid half(proof)
the "money bag" is norm in the safe(which is behind,not
cashier area)
my partner for cashiering brought her bf in during our
"closing for the day" and i did left them alone while i went
the loo.

(read online that if you're under 21 anything sign or promise by you it's not er..confirm) i dont really get it.

so people, pls give me some advice.. im 19 and i nv had trouble with the law my entire goody-two-shoes life

THANK U

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, not even the SMS''s Just keep a copy of this post on the expats board for your own reference, if it goes to court, so what, you just produce this post of yours, as proof, that you were being harassed into paying, and you agreed. It's his word against yours.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:40 am

If you didn't do it then please don't pay. If you want you can make a police report about the false accusation / harassment, so at least it is recorded in case the company decides to pursue the matter against you.

Just stand your ground. The world is full of bullies and giving in only makes it worse for everyone. Good thing you have sensible parents who will fight for you. You're in good hands, I would think.

All the best!