Singapore Expats Forum

looking for any good way

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
ningjing

looking for any good way

Postby ningjing » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 2:16 pm

i don't know how to improve my english.
any suggestion for good reading websites or some forums or other idea.

cleopatrikke

Postby cleopatrikke » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 3:32 pm

If taking up formal lesson is not an option for you, start reading newspaper everyday. I recommend The Straits Times. Try to read an article out loud to practice your diction.

But of course the best thing to do is to mingle with english speaking people, I mean those who speak proper english. :lol:

all the best pal!

bertus

Postby bertus » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 3:47 pm

Someone posted a good tip for learning language which I totally agree.. that is:

Immerse yourself in English , or create an environment where you're actively using English. Example:

a) Think in English.
Even if you don't have a lot of vocabularly to work with, you can always start with a simple ones like thinking 'that food looks nice' or 'why is he talking in a funny way' when you note an event, instead of thinking in your own language.

b) English only TV, Magazines, etc.
Yes, I know it's very hard. Mostly because your brain will work doubly hard to process information in English than in your native language. And you'll get brain-tired after a while. When that happen you should take a break.

c) Find English speaking friend(s). Or someone you have to use English to communicate with.
Doesn't matter whether they're native or not, or whether they have a good command of English or not. My personal opinion is, it doesn't matter how 'native' or 'good' your language partner is. The most important thing is building your confidence and comfort in speaking/using English. So long as you're critical to yourself and observe the mistake you make you will progress just fine.

Most people would think it is best to interact with native speaker. But a native speaker alone will not do. He/she will also need to be understanding about your English difficulties and importantly patient for you to fully benefit from the interaction. Learning and using foreign language should be fun. But it won't be fun at all if your conversation partner is picking on your every tiny mistakes, not proactively helping you construct the sentence you want to say, showing impatience over something you kept asking repeatedly, tune out because he/she can't understand what you're trying to say, or not making an effort to use simpler words or gestures to explain certain English terms or expressions. These are some of the things that the non-professional language partner/tutor might do.

I've just recently been picking up new language (Mandarin). When I went to China, most of the chinese I met offered, or said they can just tutor me. But as I would have guessed it, they were showing things I mentioned above as I practice speaking chinese with them. And it's worst when they have no command of English at all. And the fact that I am of chinese ethnicity (Indonesian), they tend to forget I'm not that fluent half way through the chat and started picking up the pace of the conversation with very VERY difficult (and coloquial) terms... :cry:

By the way, I'm not an English speaking native either. So I have gone through the stage you're at now when learning the language.

Patrick777
Regular
Regular

As my Dutch Teacher said when I attempted to learn Dutch

Postby Patrick777 » Wed, 22 Nov 2006 1:43 pm

Get yourself a sleeping dictionary, hook up with an english person! 8)

hillview2006
Regular
Regular

Postby hillview2006 » Wed, 22 Nov 2006 5:39 pm

A sleeping dictionary.. he he.. have you watch ‘The Sleeping Dictionary ‘ movie??

Shellfish

Postby Shellfish » Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:24 pm

I too have the same problem, but my problem is in spelling. I can speak english but just not spell effectly. I just can't remember how to spell that word even though I had used that word many times. My only language is english now as I totally can't read & write chinese. Just don't know whats wrong with me.

mounchic

Postby mounchic » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:28 pm

i think the best way is to keep speaking in english with someone.