Singapore Expats Forum

Finding a job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

mgabhi

Finding a job

Postby mgabhi » Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:19 am

Hi,

I am a Supplier Quality Engineer working in California,USA currently.I am interested in relocating to Singapore and happened to come across a recruiter/job agency called Careerpath.com online.They are going to charge me around US$3K-US$4K to help me find a job there.Has anyone out there heard about them and have found a job through them? If someone has used them,please let me know if it is truly worth spending so much money in finding an expat job in Singapore and what have your experiences been in relocating from the USA.Thanks

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Finding a job

Postby ksl » Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:28 am

mgabhi wrote:Hi,

I am a Supplier Quality Engineer working in California,USA currently.I am interested in relocating to Singapore and happened to come across a recruiter/job agency called Careerpath.com online.They are going to charge me around US$3K-US$4K to help me find a job there.Has anyone out there heard about them and have found a job through them? If someone has used them,please let me know if it is truly worth spending so much money in finding an expat job in Singapore and what have your experiences been in relocating from the USA.Thanks

You should never pay anyone up front, well I wouldn't! and that sounds rather excessive to me, if jobs are available normally the Company is paying a head hunter, so why are they wanting your money.

mgabhi

Postby mgabhi » Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:48 am

Yes I agree with you but how can I get a position in Singapore? Companies aren't willing to hire someone from US due to lower salaries in Singapore and they are not ready to pay for relocation from the US if I just apply directly on their websites for jobs.Does anyone know of any headhunters for the Singapore/HK region?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:39 pm

mgabhi wrote:Yes I agree with you but how can I get a position in Singapore? Companies aren't willing to hire someone from US due to lower salaries in Singapore and they are not ready to pay for relocation from the US if I just apply directly on their websites for jobs.Does anyone know of any headhunters for the Singapore/HK region?

http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/oppor_careers.shtml

Good luck. If you are not currently in singapore it may be difficult to place you as it sounds like you are not very far up the food chain as it were. Headhunters are just that. They will find you. If you are looking for a new jobs it's doubtful that they will pay any attention to your CV unless it just happens to coincide with one of their client's needs. In Singapore the Client pay the fees, not the job seeker as it's against the law here to charge the job seeker a recruitment fee per se.