Singapore Expats Forum

LPR vs EP for American wanting to work in SG

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

rhodan653
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 28 Sep 2006
Location: USA

LPR vs EP for American wanting to work in SG

Postby rhodan653 » Thu, 16 Nov 2006 2:45 am

I am hoping someone can provide some opinions on the following situation (mine as it turns out). I apologize in advance for the length.

Background:
I am a 36 year old American interested in working and living in Singapore, but currently residing in the States. I am a degreed, Certified Public Accountant and currently work as the Corp Controller of a mid-size international manufacturing company (last 8 years employment). In this position I have traveled to Asia extensively, including spending a lot of time implementing a new ERP system, performing financial audits, etc. I have also in the past also worked for one of the 'Big 4' CPA firms for 5 years. In short, I think I have a strong resume/CV for the type of work I am looking for: Regional Finance Director or the similar for an MNC operating in Asia. I do not have any Chinese language skills, which is why I think Singapore is a better fit for me than say, Hong Kong. I am planning on making the move on my own to Singapore mid to late 2007. My current company is being sold, and so it is time for new opportunities for me. I can afford to take a few risks, being single, and so trying to find opportunities in Asia is what I intend to do. I have traveled to Asia many, many times in the last 5 years and have greatly enjoyed my trips to Singapore and think it would be a great place to live for a few years, if not longer.

My question:
Based on my experience I think I should be competetive for jobs in my field, particularly jobs that require experience with U.S. Accounting Standards, SEC reporting and compliance and/or implementing large ERP systems such as Oracle. I would consider these skills fairly specialized and not necessarily locally available (but I could be wrong on this front?). Would I be better off spending the money and trying to apply for LPR before I come (and would I likely be succesful with my qualifications?) or should I come as a tourist and try to find a company to hire me under an EP? My plan is to give myself 6 months or so to find a job on the ground in Singapore.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

James

hei guess what
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon, 28 Nov 2005

Postby hei guess what » Thu, 16 Nov 2006 2:18 pm

Sounds like you have very marketable skills and experience.

Frankly, it is much better to look for a job in the US with an MNC that has operations in Singapore. You might be able to get expat benefits and your employer will apply for the EP for you.

If you come of your own accord, you'll have much less bargaining power and may be offered a local contract instead.

Just google for American companies with Singapore or regional offices (why not include the big 4) . . . and apply directly to them.

Good luck.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Nov 2006 5:44 pm

hei guess what wrote:Sounds like you have very marketable skills and experience.

Frankly, it is much better to look for a job in the US with an MNC that has operations in Singapore. You might be able to get expat benefits and your employer will apply for the EP for you.

If you come of your own accord, you'll have much less bargaining power and may be offered a local contract instead.

Just google for American companies with Singapore or regional offices (why not include the big 4) . . . and apply directly to them.

Good luck.


What he/she said above!

rhodan653
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 28 Sep 2006
Location: USA

Postby rhodan653 » Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:08 pm

SMS and Hei Guess What - thanks for the replies. The reality is that it is not easy to find a job stateside for overseas postings. I have been doing a lot of networking, searching through headhunters, the internet, etc and the pickings are slim for overseas postings to be sourced directly from the States. I think most companies that do send Expats overseas draw from existing employees who have worked in the company for awhile.

Alternatively, the headhunter websites for Asia locations, such as Hudson, Michael Page etc seem to have a fairly good selection of jobs in my target area. It seems most MNC's are hiring people that are already in the region for these types of positions. Based on all the research I have done, it also seems that Expat packages are going away, particularly in places like Singapore, where, let's face it, it is not exactly a hardship posting. That is fine with me, I am not looking for an expat package, just a market salary. All of this led me down the path of coming over myself and search locally for a position.

Any comments on LPR? I have found conflicting opinions. Is this something I would have a shot at? One post on LPR in this forum indicated it was targeted mostly at Indonesian Chinese. I had not seen that anywhere else. Reading all the official websites it seemed it was open to anyone with a solid education and professional background and was meant to be an incentive to encourage professional talent to come to Singapore. I would not want to waste $2,000 USD to apply for LPR when I didn't have a shot to begin with. Any comments or experience with LPR from a westerner's perspective would be appreciated. Thanks again.

James

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:18 am

rhodan653 wrote:SMS and Hei Guess What - thanks for the replies. The reality is that it is not easy to find a job stateside for overseas postings. I have been doing a lot of networking, searching through headhunters, the internet, etc and the pickings are slim for overseas postings to be sourced directly from the States. I think most companies that do send Expats overseas draw from existing employees who have worked in the company for awhile.

Alternatively, the headhunter websites for Asia locations, such as Hudson, Michael Page etc seem to have a fairly good selection of jobs in my target area. It seems most MNC's are hiring people that are already in the region for these types of positions. Based on all the research I have done, it also seems that Expat packages are going away, particularly in places like Singapore, where, let's face it, it is not exactly a hardship posting. That is fine with me, I am not looking for an expat package, just a market salary. All of this led me down the path of coming over myself and search locally for a position.

Any comments on LPR? I have found conflicting opinions. Is this something I would have a shot at? One post on LPR in this forum indicated it was targeted mostly at Indonesian Chinese. I had not seen that anywhere else. Reading all the official websites it seemed it was open to anyone with a solid education and professional background and was meant to be an incentive to encourage professional talent to come to Singapore. I would not want to waste $2,000 USD to apply for LPR when I didn't have a shot to begin with. Any comments or experience with LPR from a westerner's perspective would be appreciated. Thanks again.

James


The landed PR scheme came about back in '97 during the Hong Kong reversion back to PRC. There were initially 25K lprs extended to the HK residents if they wanted to take them up. After the initial outflow it dwindled to a trickle and the Indonesian Chinese made good usage of it. It was later extended to the foreigners who graduated from the local university. While it is basically open to all, it is only a small number of non-ethinic chinese who seem to use it. With you background, as long as you are not necessarily looking for full expat status and might consider a local package at market value, you may well have a chance of picking something up. It is easier if you are here when going through an executive search firm. (they do have a rather bad reputation here - at least the local variant anyway). Basically, what I understand, that 2.5 K to acquire LPR status only really buys you a 6 month visa to enable you to find a job. You would almost be better off just coming in on a visa and once a month flying up to KL or BKK for a long weekend and returning on another 30 days visa. Especially now that we have budget airlines over here.

Don't know if that helps or not. The way I see it is nothing ventured, nothing gained. You only go around once as the saying goes......

sms

rhodan653
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 28 Sep 2006
Location: USA

Postby rhodan653 » Fri, 17 Nov 2006 2:53 am

Don't know if that helps or not. The way I see it is nothing ventured, nothing gained. You only go around once as the saying goes......


Couldn't agree more. Thanks for the info, it certainly helps. It seemed to me that the LPR was a leg up on getting a job as the need for an EP sponsorship appears to go away, i.e. you already have PR in your back pocket to be granted immediately upon finding a job. I would assume it basically puts me on even footing with other PR's, versus trying to find a local company to sponsor me for an EP and all the hassle that entails for them. Many of the jobs only want someone with PR or SG citizenship and so having LPR would allow me to be eligble for those as well, I presume?

The unknowns to me (which will remain unknown until I actually take the plunge) are how competetive I would be for jobs in my field with the LPR, versus without and whether that improvement in competetiveness is justifed by the cost of the LPR. Decisions, decisions. It's what makes life interesting. Thanks again. This is certainly a helpful forum with a lot of great info available.

James

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Nov 2006 9:29 am

rhodan653 wrote:I would assume it basically puts me on even footing with other PR's, versus trying to find a local company to sponsor me for an EP and all the hassle that entails for them. Many of the jobs only want someone with PR or SG citizenship and so having LPR would allow me to be eligble for those as well, I presume?

Absolutely correct.

The unknowns to me (which will remain unknown until I actually take the plunge) are how competetive I would be for jobs in my field with the LPR, versus without and whether that improvement in competetiveness is justifed by the cost of the LPR. Decisions, decisions. It's what makes life interesting. Thanks again. This is certainly a helpful forum with a lot of great info available.


James



Good luck. :cool:

sms


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest