Singapore Expats Forum

Your Preferences of Asian Cities to Live in!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Your Preferences of Asian Cities to Live in!

Postby DimWit Kid » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:59 pm

I initially post this on the Living expenses Singapore vs KL after following the thread, but I think I shouldn't ask this question there and hijack the threat.

Here it is:
Interesting. Just about 10 days ago my VP asked me my opinion about the same thing (I suspect he was thinking about relocating the regional office for my business). My immediate answer is that the cities that I won't even consider to move to (among the larger SEA cities) are Manila and KL.

Obviously it's a personal bias, but to me KL is a Singapore with less safety and orderliness, while Manila is a chaotic place with all the pollution and crime like Jakarta, but with the people (well, more than JKT at least) carrying guns! :D I've never lived in Manila or KL, but I've spent very considerable time during the past 10 years traveling in and temporarily staying in those cities and that's what I come to.

Again with all my personal 'bias', I'd rank the cities I'm most willing to live in to the one I'm least with an assumption that I can afford the cost of living:
1/ Sg/Hk
2/ S'hai
3/ Bkk
4/ Seoul
5/ Jkt
6/ BJ
7/ Tokyo
8/ KL
9/ Manila/GZ
... and then all other cities.

Taipei/Kaohsiung should be up there (probably above number 7), but I am really lack of experience in those Taiwanese cities makes me ambiguous about them.

What say you? ;)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Your Preferences of Asian Cities to Live in!

Postby ksl » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:32 pm

DimWit Kid wrote:I initially post this on the Living expenses Singapore vs KL after following the thread, but I think I shouldn't ask this question there and hijack the threat.

Here it is:
Interesting. Just about 10 days ago my VP asked me my opinion about the same thing (I suspect he was thinking about relocating the regional office for my business). My immediate answer is that the cities that I won't even consider to move to (among the larger SEA cities) are Manila and KL.

Obviously it's a personal bias, but to me KL is a Singapore with less safety and orderliness, while Manila is a chaotic place with all the pollution and crime like Jakarta, but with the people (well, more than JKT at least) carrying guns! :D I've never lived in Manila or KL, but I've spent very considerable time during the past 10 years traveling in and temporarily staying in those cities and that's what I come to.

Again with all my personal 'bias', I'd rank the cities I'm most willing to live in to the one I'm least with an assumption that I can afford the cost of living:
1/ Sg/Hk
2/ S'hai
3/ Bkk
4/ Seoul
5/ Jkt
6/ BJ
7/ Tokyo
8/ KL
9/ Manila/GZ
... and then all other cities.

Taipei/Kaohsiung should be up there (probably above number 7), but I am really lack of experience in those Taiwanese cities makes me ambiguous about them.

What say you? ;)

4 years in Tapei, and I would say for women travelling at night alone, is not safe, taxi's are not safe, especially if you are foreign tourist.

But again, you are as safe as you want to be, meaning if you wonder around drunk, your asking to get mugged.

The taxi driver drove my Danish mate to an ATM machine, he's been drinking, he got back in the taxi, and the driver took him to a quite spot, after arranging with others over the radio to meet him there, they robbed the Danish guy and worked him over a little bit.

This could happen in many Cities around the world, one must be careful not to take too many risks, in areas you do not know, and with people you do not know.

But 4 years in Taipei Taiwan, I had only the one encounter,Taipei/ Kaohsiung, are quite heavy with gangsters, however they don't normally bother foreigners, but its always better to play it safe, especially if alcohol is concerned, by that i mean ask around what the area is like, if out alone don't get too tipsy, you are likely to be taken for a ride (robbed) Most of the hardcore would be armed, I've been in Karaoke bar, when a shoot out started, with police, but there again, I have never seen western expats in the areas that i go. I am also totally reliant on the Taiwanese people I am with.

kakarukeys

Postby kakarukeys » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:11 pm

My opinions on those cities:

Singapore - travelling fee too high (I now assuming I'm a tourist or traveller), security very good, crime rate moderate, living cost low (comparatively)

Shanghai - very difficult to travel around in shanghai, no urban planning, the roads are chaotic.

Bangkok - traffic jam very serious!

Jakarta - this is the last city I want to visit, totally chaotic and insecure.

Beijing - Urban planning even better than singapore, (common in communist capital cities), security okay, crime rate low, living cost low, but air pollution very serious, has sand storm in Summer.

Kuala Lumpur - this is the best city in Malaysia, traffic problem exists not very serious, crime rate is actually not high (dispel those rumours), occasional robbery and stealing, security moderate, well... I guess I better don't comment on this one, I'm abit biased.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 4:06 pm

DimWitKid,
Probably your best bet on the assumption you could actually afford it is Tokyo(amongst those you list). Although the most expensive place in Asia and likely the world it is a very interesting and lively place with well-mannered people.

There is of course some unpleasantness as there always is with cities nobody in their right mind would want to use the subway or for that matter second-class on the bullet-train in the rush hour. Finding your way around can be a problem, it seems if you visit a sushi-bar in one area you can never find it again. Japanese addresses go by block numbers and are a mystery to the Japanese themselves, streets in many cities are unnamed and mail is delivered by a postman who knows the area like the back of his chopsticks - one reason mail often doesn’t get to where it's supposed to. Crime is relatively low and you needn’t spend a fortune on medical precautions but do be careful if you intend to spend much time in the deep countryside.

Have a good read of the 'Lonely Planet' guide although intended for tourists there is good information for other aspects of life in Japan.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 4:07 pm

kakarukeys wrote:My opinions on those cities:

Singapore - travelling fee too high (I now assuming I'm a tourist or traveller), security very good, crime rate moderate, living cost low (comparatively)

Shanghai - very difficult to travel around in shanghai, no urban planning, the roads are chaotic.

Bangkok - traffic jam very serious!

Jakarta - this is the last city I want to visit, totally chaotic and insecure.

Beijing - Urban planning even better than singapore, (common in communist capital cities), security okay, crime rate low, living cost low, but air pollution very serious, has sand storm in Summer.

Kuala Lumpur - this is the best city in Malaysia, traffic problem exists not very serious, crime rate is actually not high (dispel those rumours), occasional robbery and stealing, security moderate, well... I guess I better don't comment on this one, I'm abit biased.

Have you ever tried taking a bus in Beijing? Have you ever tried taaking the Taxi? talk about rip off, I lived there for a year, and I can recommend it, fantastic place, but you certainly have to be street wise in Beijing. Not as tourist friendly as Singapore, and very corrupt, You only have to check the figures on how many Taiwanese business men have been kidnapped and murdered, to evaluate the risks, and its in the 100's per year in China, including Europeans.

The mentality of all foreigners being rich makes it even more dangerous, especially in a culture, that neglects its, own people, out side of City life. no distribution of wealth, will cause large crime rate.

chimpum

Postby chimpum » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 7:56 pm

I agree with ksl, as communist countries tend to have a very thin veneer, usually for the tourists. The actual picture of real commie countries is nightmarish.

Anyway, having only lived in a couple of cities in Asia, I would say Singapore...if and only I could take Seoul's nightlife with me. As dirty and congested as that place is, I have never in my life had more fun going out on the town. Dollar shots and two buck cigarette packs don't hurt either.

kakarukeys

Postby kakarukeys » Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:21 pm

:???: I was in Beijing for 6 months in 2001.
I felt it was quite safe. Anyway glad to hear other's opinion.