Singapore Expats Forum

New tourist visa after trips abroad???

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

nms1
Regular
Regular

New tourist visa after trips abroad???

Postby nms1 » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:00 am

Hi All

I would like to know how often I can go to Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. and come back to SG with a tourist visa. I need to go there to get always a new visa.

I know, I know, it depends on the officer at the boarder, etc etc etc. But does somebody of you have any experience how often it worked...

Appreciate your help.

Thanx,
George

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:25 pm

Probably 1 or 2 times before the start giving you only 2 weeks, then telling you that you will need to fly out for 2 or 3 days prior to coming back in. Too many backpackers, job seekers and oilfield workers abused it years ago now they will look through your passport to see how many chops entering/exiting and durations. Eventually, may only get 3 days when you come in via ferry or causeway as it will be obvious what you are doing........

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 9:35 pm

Hi

Thanx for your answer.

Is a trip to Mersing in Malaysia fro friday evening till sunday night enough to get back with a new visa without big trouble?

And for the second trip 14days later 4 days in Bangkok?

Thanks...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 9:56 pm

Look, it works like this. If you are older, appear to educated and affluent, and appear to be able to support yourself in Singapore, you can probably cross the border a zillion times and get renewed. Example: a white collar professional.

OTOH, if you appear to be somewhat cash starved, trying to hang on to your golden opportunity to stay in Singapore, then the chances are more iffy.

If you are genuinely going on vacation as stated, then you will no doubt radiate that fact and getting a stamp will prove to be no problem. If you are crossing only to get an extension, the ICA folks will get wise to you pretty quickly.

How many times have you done this already?

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:04 pm

Hi

Thanks a lot for this advice. So far we didn#t this. this weekend will be the first one. (but how can -she- wear a white collar after diving trip with a dozen young crazy guys. o.k, for the first time therer should not be any problem, or?

So, she will wear a white collar and a platin credit card on the way back from bangkok!

Thanks

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:42 pm

If it's your first weekend, then enjoy. Many people come to Singapore only to travel to other destinations... it's what the Singapore gov't wants people to do.

It's only when someone has about 13 2 week visas stamped in their passport, all runs to JB or Batam, that the ICA begins to wonder... well, less than 13... but if you are travelling you'll have no problem getting renewed.

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 8:34 pm

thanks a lot...we will just try it...