Singapore Expats

Porsche question

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Stephen993

Porsche question

Post by Stephen993 » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 7:52 pm

I live in Hong Kong, am moving to Singapore in January, and have invested great time and money in my car, which is a 1996 Porsche. The car is now in perfect condition, and I really want to bring it to Singapore. The Land Transport Authority website says that no cars over three (3) years old can be imported, but my future secretary called the LTA and was told that you can write a letter asking for an exemption to this policy.

I really don't want to lose my car because of the move. Any information, such as actual experience, previous posts, helpful friends that work at the LTA :) would be very much appreciated!!!

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

anyone imported a car?

Post by boffenl » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 3:31 am

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has imported a car into Singapore from either the US or Canada. My husband is very interested in bringing a brand new car to Singapore since we've heard how expensive it if to buy--but I understand it is also extremely expensive to bring in a car. Anyone with expereince PLEASE reply!

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:09 pm

Regarding the Porsche, better call LTA again and ask how much the amount of import tax on the car will be.

You will learn that your former investments on the Prosche have been peanuts compared to the amount needed to get the car imported here.

And for the record, to each his or her own, but a Porsche on the road in Singapore, "cruising" at the speed of 75Km/hr behind another hogging cab always makes me grin... :wink:
Time will come....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:59 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:"cruising" at the speed of 75Km/hr behind another hogging cab always makes me grin... :wink:
Yep! can cruise for about a maximum of 5 minutes at best (as long as it's 3 am in the morning). He'll spend a fortune in tune-up charges due to the normal cruising speed of 25 to 35 kph (15 to 22 mph) and hours of idling on the expressways not even counting town!. Do like I did for my Austin-Healey (put it in a humidity/environment controlled storage facility).

Additionally, if it's a new Porsche, it won't look like new long over here (they take great delight in putting door dents all up and down the sides of cars in parking lots. Courtesy is rampant here. :? There is also the perverts who are jelouse and delight in walking along the side of your car with a key or other sharp object.

Leave it at home. If you love you car that is......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 4:14 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:Regarding the Porsche, better call LTA again and ask how much the amount of import tax on the car will be.

You will learn that your former investments on the Prosche have been peanuts compared to the amount needed to get the car imported here.

And for the record, to each his or her own, but a Porsche on the road in Singapore, "cruising" at the speed of 75Km/hr behind another hogging cab always makes me grin... :wink:
There are 3 flash Lamborghini's parked outside a house, where I live :cool: Which is quite funny really! What a waste of money, in this tiny little environment.

I wonder how much they depreciate in the first 5 years?

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 4:43 pm

Ksl,

our opposite neighbours: Lexus SC430 sportscar, Volvo XC90 T6.
Our side neighbours: Volkswagen Touareg, Ferrari Testarossa.
Other side neighbour: Lexus 460 (the latest top model).
Around the corner: Lamborghini Murcielago.

myself?

Harley, Superglide Custom... :D
Time will come....

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by skye » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 5:07 pm

Regarding cars from North America, I'm sure I read somewhere on the LTA website that cars with steering wheel on the left are not allowed, except for a few diplomatic exemptions. In any case, you still need to pay import tax plus buy a Certificate of Entitlement (COE) even if you import a car, so it's unlikely you could make any cost savings.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:27 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:Ksl,

our opposite neighbours: Lexus SC430 sportscar, Volvo XC90 T6.
Our side neighbours: Volkswagen Touareg, Ferrari Testarossa.
Other side neighbour: Lexus 460 (the latest top model).
Around the corner: Lamborghini Murcielago.

myself?

Harley, Superglide Custom... :D
And me! My Giant Mountain Bike which i never really use anymore:lol:

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Who leases--or is it really not as expensive to buy a car?

Post by boffenl » Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:19 am

Thanks for the replies! Seems everyone at the university has a car--how can they afford it with some of the prices I've seen posted? Do most ex-pats lease? and how do you keep on top of all the certificates and special stickers you'll need?

jpatokal

Re: Who leases--or is it really not as expensive to buy a ca

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:45 am

boffenl wrote:Thanks for the replies! Seems everyone at the university has a car--how can they afford it with some of the prices I've seen posted? Do most ex-pats lease? and how do you keep on top of all the certificates and special stickers you'll need?
It doesn't really make any financial sense to have a car in Singapore: the place is pint-sized, public transport is great, and you can take taxis a few times every day ($15 a ride, twice a day, 30 days a month = $900) and still save over owning a car. If you're living somewhere in the comparative boonies or have a large family it may make some sense, but most car owners in Sing seem to do it just for the prestige.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

dl_empsvc

Re: Porsche question

Post by dl_empsvc » Thu, 29 Mar 2007 9:21 pm

Stephen993 wrote:I live in Hong Kong, am moving to Singapore in January, and have invested great time and money in my car, which is a 1996 Porsche. The car is now in perfect condition, and I really want to bring it to Singapore. The Land Transport Authority website says that no cars over three (3) years old can be imported, but my future secretary called the LTA and was told that you can write a letter asking for an exemption to this policy.

I really don't want to lose my car because of the move. Any information, such as actual experience, previous posts, helpful friends that work at the LTA :) would be very much appreciated!!!
Hi there, you can get on this website to get a pretty good estimate on how much it'll cost to bring in your 911... www.onemotoring.com.sg

However, you may need to call them up regarding a certain VITAS code.

But you can get all contact nos. on the website. Hope it's not too late though...

actionong

Well?

Post by actionong » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 2:24 pm

Did you bring the porsche?

I'm looking to bring my MV Agusta Brutale for street use and Ducati 749S for open trackdays in Sepang and Pasir Gudang. Vehicles currently registered in California, so can comply to emission standards. Only several hundred more other requirements to fulfill.

Are there any reliable agents who can help out?

Thank you