Singapore Expats

Work, business or venture - Advice anyone?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
nova74

Work, business or venture - Advice anyone?

Post by nova74 » Wed, 25 Oct 2006 9:31 pm

Hi People

Opening to suggestions or advice..

I had just resigned from merchandising job. I had gone for few jobs interviews, the scope is kinda rigid, lack of some form of excitments and limited choices in Singapore. I have been upgrading myself constantly in terms of academics aspect even thou merchandising does not required much higher level of paper qualifications esp being a merchandising mgr here.

I'm in a dilemma if i shld strike out on my own, but somehow i kinda miss corporate life. Or i shld try venture out of Singapore to gain an added value to my portfolio.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:13 pm

What is your willingness to take on risk? Maybe you like corporate life because it provides a kind of security.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:54 am

Strong Eagle wrote:What is your willingness to take on risk? Maybe you like corporate life because it provides a kind of security.
Resigning first and only then thinking about what to do would seem to indicate you're missing something rather critical for running your own business -- the ability to plan ahead.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

nova74

Post by nova74 » Mon, 13 Nov 2006 2:31 pm

Resigning wasnt an impulsive act but a last resort i had in mind with much endurance with the company i worked for. . enough is enough.

Well what i can make up for currently is focus and discipline to complete postgrad prog, soon end of year, pick up some new adventurous hobbies while i can. Business analysis, research, financial planning had been carried out 2 years ago during midst of business traveling, but i guess few more years of corporate life experience is good for me. The retail business(what i wanna do) is overly saturated and after slight relook in ROI is not that wonderful unless i am bringing on is disruptive innovation.

AdamC
Regular
Regular

Post by AdamC » Mon, 20 Nov 2006 6:18 am

Hi dude,

suggestion
Do Your own risk assessment. If you are working out on ur own saving for venturing you might need to make sure of below few aspect :

- How You rate yourself? High Risk-Taker?
- Making sure You know the trade( for the industry You wish to go into)
- Making sure You do not dig into Your personal commitment like car installment, personal expenses(set aside some saving for your personal for at least 6months - starting up biz is tough)
- How much of earning per mth is comfortable with You? (if You are hoping to earn a few k per mth mayb You would like to get a job with better payout?)

Some very basic pointers - Hope You are able to find a direction at the traffic junction :D

CheerZ

AdamC
Regular
Regular

Post by AdamC » Mon, 20 Nov 2006 6:26 am

btw dude,

education does not stand up as much as in the past nowadays.

Now in trend will be more business-minded person. Y, in being the own boss You are able to think like a businessman. As your career You are able to help company save and generate profit =)

Btw, there just to much to think =P Bcos a person's life does not only include all these =P

Btw, if You are thinking of venturing into biz. Mayb You wanna try out government business website or EBD.

Vietnam is the upcoming hotbed for forgien investors =)

nova74

Post by nova74 » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 1:28 am

Absolutely agree, having an extensive education is really no Big deal which i see that pt too, is merely an added kowledge, it comes into value if the knowledge are put into good use

I treasure advice from you, deeply appreciate. Is a critical turning point for me now.

*I value the recommendation - risk analysis (how much taker i am)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:04 pm

nova74 wrote:Absolutely agree, having an extensive education is really no Big deal which i see that pt too, is merely an added kowledge, it comes into value if the knowledge are put into good use

I treasure advice from you, deeply appreciate. Is a critical turning point for me now.

*I value the recommendation - risk analysis (how much taker i am)
Retail business is saturated in Singapore, I wouldn't totally agree and even if it were, differentiating is the name of the game. Although retail trade for me is a tedious occupation.

You need to think big, and i mean by volume and distribution rather than a tedious 12 to 24 hr a day retail outlet, after all it's all about money and success for most people, within the shortest possible time frame, or if you are very creative, invent something and bring it into production, with the help of networking.

There are many exciting areas of employment to discover, A crash course diploma in International Trade and Export, can also change your life dramatically into the consultation field, if you have the insight and methodology for buisness analysis.

It is very satisfying being able to turn business around from a loss to a profit, knowing that your input is the saviour of total collapse.

In my young day all i craved was excitement, and high risk, dangerous, jobs, was the second reason for me to go into the military, and my first 6 months i hated it so much, that i moaned and complained every single day, that this soldiering crap, was boring and i hated the daily routine, I was so unhappy, although being the Majors side kick driver at the time, was ok, although he did try to use me has is lackey!

I politely told him to get F----d and it wasn't long before I got posted out of my unit into some action, because of my non conformist attitude, although my highly motivational skills of soldiering, and a dedicated self inflicting sadist, does have other alternatives for job satisfaction within a unit, high risk pressure is so invigorating and satisfying, until the bubble bursts, and the mind starts to breaks down under pressure, this is a normal chain of events for many, it's actually having the strength to survive the mental collapse, that makes you a stronger person, to take on the new challenges of life, and not to sit on the side lines quivering, like a nervouse wreck.

I never did return to my old unit for longer than, the time it took to fill in the paper work to join a new adventurous front line chopper unit, supporting the cream of the British Army, and just the constant training of reflexes to do, the tasks without thinking of the dangers, is i suppose an unselfish task, of professionalism, that is a job well done, and I can honestly say, there are some very gifted people, that never, get the recognition they deserve, and they the most don't even want it.

Satisfaction of inner callings are much more gratifying, that the dream we live in, is nothing but a dream, close the eyes and the senses, and we have nothing, more than emptiness, the black hole, where our spirits drift and wonder, while the sheath (skin of our body)of the five elements continue it's journey back to the earth, for yet, another day.

We in the 21st century have suffered little to what our forefathers have suffered, and to how many other people are suffering in the other parts of the world.

I would suggest looking into the looking glass and get a feel of death and sorrow, to make yourself feel alive, I read an article of a 17 year old Singaporean girl sneaking off to Afghanistan without consent, and that's what i mean, to do something like that, takes real guts at that age, I felt enormously touched, and felt so much pride for a young person I have never known.

Because I can relate, to her senses and feelings for all those people, she visited, take time out to realise, there is actually more to life, than the rat race we live in.

One thing to look at, is the deaths of so many, for reasons we cannot understand, and the grief left behind, the fighting and squabbling over possessions, left, is uncanny, becuase of objects we fight, and the greed of nations we suffer.

I'm quite happy chosing to watch the rat race learn the hard way, I personally have many objects, with names on them stored away in a room, in UK, and although I miss my personal possessions, I look back on my life and all I see, is nothing but the suit case I carry and the sheath of my transportation vehicle crumbling away, day by day, It took me 56 years to realise what life is all about, and the answer is "Going to the movies!!!" :P Have a good day.

My mentor said to me yesterday, something quite funny, about the government policy of HDB, he say's the government says, you can purchased an apartment, but you never get to own it, why, because it never belongs to you, the Ceiling, is the floor of the neighbour upstairs, and the floor is the neighbours ceiling below you, and all the walls, are also your neighbours walls.

There are many occupations to explore, although my advice if you wish to take a role in the dream, is to understand the dream, to understand why you do what you do, the subconcious or unconscious mind needs to be conscious and the conscious needs to be seen, from within, for what it is.
The role play for a non conformist is much easier to understand, as the self awareness of life is unfolded.

ria3n
Regular
Regular

Post by ria3n » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:08 am

interesting, but still been own boss takes lots of risk n discipline ..if ur the type whom needs comfort ..then its better to stick to ur job.. :wink:

meashep

Re: Work, business or venture - Advice anyone?

Post by meashep » Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:43 am

nova74 wrote:Hi People

I had just resigned from merchandising job. I had gone for few jobs interviews, the scope is kinda rigid, lack of some form of excitments and limited choices in Singapore. I have been upgrading myself constantly in terms of academics aspect even thou merchandising does not required much higher level of paper qualifications esp being a merchandising mgr here.

I'm in a dilemma if i shld strike out on my own, but somehow i kinda miss corporate life. Or i shld try venture out of Singapore to gain an added value to my portfolio.

HiHi, wonder if you have already make up your mind?

I do have a bussiness lobang to share.

Do drop me a mail if you are interested.

[email protected]

khorhc

Post by khorhc » Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:00 pm

Hi ,

If you still keen and mind set to be a BOSS .

I can share and help you start at no risk.

email me @ [email protected]

John

meashep77

Re: Work, business or venture - Advice anyone?

Post by meashep77 » Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:07 pm

meashep wrote:
nova74 wrote:Hi People

HiHi, wonder if you have already make up your mind?

I do have a bussiness lobang to share.

Do drop me a mail if you are interested.

[email protected]
Sorry if you have email me on the above email address.
My yahoo account have being hack into and i cant access to it at all.
Now my new email address is
[email protected]

Do drop me a mail.
Thanks

preddy25

Retail business

Post by preddy25 » Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:02 am

i agree with ksl abt the the retail business , dont look at that particular industry from the same aspect of your potential competitors but be different , make a product/service niche which is untapped by them.

In a simple word , be different or dont do it at all. Any market product has only 2 strong brands which dominates that particular industry , either be the 1st move or dont even try to squeeze into that market.

If there is strong competition , it also means that there is strong potential. No competition can only mean small market potential or an untapped market.

My 2cts worth :cool:

detoxify

Post by detoxify » Sun, 14 Jan 2007 3:55 pm

work 1st.. then got money already then business?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Retail business

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jan 2007 6:19 pm

preddy25 wrote:
If there is strong competition , it also means that there is strong potential. No competition can only mean small market potential or an untapped market.

My 2cts worth :cool:
Or it can mean a monopoly like singtel used to have or power supply currently has or Microsoft for that matter.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers