Singapore Expats

Buying medical insurance for elderly parents

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
tc9897

Buying medical insurance for elderly parents

Post by tc9897 » Tue, 24 Oct 2006 1:20 pm

I will be moving to Singapore next summer, but have a question about medical insurance. Although I will be covered by my employer, I will have to purchase medical insurance for my parents (both U.S. citizens, ages 68 and 72). Does anyone have a similar experience and can recommend an insurance agent? Roughly, how much would it cost for the two people to be covered for medical and dental treatments, as well as drug coverages?

I am also wondering how they can get medication coverage while in Singapore. Are drugs expensive if you have to buy them out-of-pocket? I would really appreciate your help.

--- a Desperate Daughter

CYS

Too late!

Post by CYS » Wed, 15 Nov 2006 1:04 pm

Hi, to be very honest, it will be almost impossible to find an insurance company to insure both of your parents. Most of the medical insurance has the latest entry age of either 60 or 65 years old.

Even if you are able to find an insurance company willing to insure, certainly there will have some exclusions or very expensive premium.
Cheers!!! Happy Heart w a Happy Living!!!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Buying medical insurance for elderly parents

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 23 Feb 2022 6:49 pm

Hi All,

This topic was started a long time ago, sorry to dredge up but since there may still be people with elderly parents here I thought I might add to this.

I finally closed out my elderly mother’s medical insurance. She was here on LTVP and I bought some rather expensive insurance for her from NTUC. She was >65 and very thin and anaemic after my father passed away, so we felt we needed to prepare coverage.

Most agents I contacted wouldn’t help, but one guy did take the challenge. He just helped me close out the plan just now since my mother left to go back to the UK.

Anyway, the plan is from NTUC - Enhanced Preferred Incomeshield, with a classic care rider. Covers most needs at public hospitals here.

Premiums were deducted from my CPF and credit card.

Anyone interested to use the agent do let me know, more than happy to connect since I appreciated his service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:45 am

How much did the premium end up costing you? I’d imagine more than 500/m.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 24 Feb 2022 1:39 pm

Hi Lisa,

It was just over $6,000 per annum.

Could vary according to individual - my mother had to do a health assessment, so according to blood work and risks, the premium could be higher.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Feb 2022 1:42 am

Wow, thats quite a bomb, I came pretty close. At least it was claimable.

sportye

Post by sportye » Sun, 05 Mar 2023 8:39 am

Hi BBC,

may I know if it covers your mom pre-existing condition ? can let me know the agent that helped u with ur application ?

Thank you

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 15 Mar 2023 6:24 am

sportye wrote:Hi BBC,

may I know if it covers your mom pre-existing condition ? can let me know the agent that helped u with ur application ?

Thank you
Dear Sportye,

Responded to you, check DM