Singapore Expats


Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 1:52 am
Location: Nottingham (UK)


Post by beatriza100 » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 1:58 am

Hello, my other half has been offered to relocate to Singapore by his company. He will of course get a work permit sorted out by his employer.

It would be easy for me to join him if we were married. We have been together for 6 years, and we live in "common law" terms, but I am assuming that because we are not legally married, I will not be able just to live in Singapore with him?

All I can find on the MOM website is that common law spouses can only apply for a Long Term Social Visit pass.... What exactly does this allow? How long is it for? And would it allow me to look for work?

Also, how easy would it be for me to work on a freelance basis?

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Beatriz Alonso
Broadcast Project Manager / Consultant

Posts: 53
Joined: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 12:40 pm
Location: Shelford

Post by spaul » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 7:57 am

I have seen on this forum a thread regarding common law marriages. You can do it but it involves a lot of paper work. The SVP will allow you to live in Singapore but not work. If you want to work you will have to apply for a work permit yourself and that will be based on your own merits.

Here is one link that I know of that talks about it. ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 6:31 pm


Post by marjiri75 » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:35 pm

I obtained an Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate from Contact Singapore in the UK and the certificate is valid for 2 years on a one time basis, on arrival I was able to extend my social visit pass for 6 months which allows you time to look for a job in Singapore.

I hope that helps.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests