Singapore Expats Forum

Tragic incident

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Tragic incident

Postby ksl » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 1:03 am

I was so very upset reading the article in the New Paper of the father, that handed 10$ over to the kids, to buy Chicken rice for their mum, and themselves, and then left home, and fell in fron of the MRT train.

I vaguely remember writing a thread last night, although I'm very happy to say, I couldn't find it today. The incident brought very bad memories of my childhood back, especially the photo's of the family.

I was intent on approaching everyone on the expats board, to drum up some kind of support for this family, today I feel much relief, that everyone in Singapore have had the same idea, and the family will probably be very well looked after, although I am still saddend, to think of the many more under privillaged, that are suffering.

Isn't it time that Singapore government recognises the need, for some, even a decent minimum wage, would be a self starter, to protect the weaker individuals at risk.

How many more families are suffering the tragic daily situation, because of circumstances beyond their control, everything in Singapore is about increasing profit's, at the expense of its own people.

This needs to be stopped and looked at, in a more political arena, why is this Country bringing in foreign labour, when tragic uneducated or handicapped Singaporeans are suffering.

It is the reponsibility of government, to see that these incidents are avoided, local mp's need to be in more touch at the ground roots level, they have a duty to inform their housing councils, of the help that is available, it seems the messsage doesn't get out to the people, or maybe, the ones handing out the help, refuse to believe the individuals plea for help.

When I was a child growing up, my mother recieved help occassionally, yet needed it all the time, many christmas days, we would receive a hamper from the salvation army, and my mother would cry, because she couldn't provide any toy's, the fire would be out, becasue I hadn't been able to get any coal off the railway lines, we wasn't the only family suffering, in the late 50's and will not be the last.

Although our life never got easier, I decided to give up my apprenticeship bricklaying job, to go in the military for more money, at least i could send the money home to my mum.

My mother god bless her was my pride and joy, she sacrificed all her life for me, and i know, that the last $ in her purse, would be given to anyone in need. we had many people in the same situation, that helped out in these small communities, forgotten and neglected by local MP's because of the segregation that goes on, after all the industries collapse one by one, and why, all because of profits.

At least this family will have a chance now, but the price was very costly.

This woman and her children lost, the only thing that really did matter too, them, a careing husband and a loving father.

I sincerely hope, that something is done to help these people in need, by the government, before this incident becomes a trend, and by that, I mean other poor fathers, have to live up, to what happend this weekend, and the charitable help from Singaporeans.

I just prey to god, that other families suffering hardship, do not take this incident, as an example of helping their families.

My heart goes out to all, that helped this family! But my soul will still suffer for the rest of the families that surround me.

I say this, becuase, I am affected by what my eyes see and read, and quite often I have to avoid, the media, becuase the burden can be far to heavy for me to carry.

When people ask me or accuse me of not being British, I reflect back on my life and ask, what did my Country do for me, or my family, the only way to get any help from the system was to lie, to the person doing the claim, My mother could never lie, so we all suffered.

Today in UK the government is still only helping, the people that do lie and cheat, and I do actually know many of them, which makes it also more disgusting, the system doesn't work, those in poverty would rather walk the streets, and keep their pride.

I personally would put 2 fingers up at the UK and its politics. I have never relied on the UK ever and I never will bow down, to those, that think they are any better than me.

My mother was born poor and died poor at the age of 87 in 1995, and this woman who raised a family of 3 alone, in the poverty area of many manual unskilled labour housing estates, who had been through the wash houses of the war time, and also worked a 14 hour day in the 60's, is still talked about and respected today, by the same people.

The UK always gets the American syndrome, (just a figure of speech) we call it, the rich get richer at the expense of the manual worker, it's been abused for god knows how long, and is still being abused.

The entry to Europe in 1973 only made matters worse, now its comparable to Singapore, where manual workers are sacked from their jobs, for the cheaper labour from eastern europe, who will work 14 hrs a day.

Governments must be made responsible for their people! But what voice have the people anyway. This is not any different from my own Country.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 1:20 am

That is indeed a tragic incident and I understand the points you are trying to get across. However, I feel it is very difficult to mention the UK systems as most Singaporeans are unfamiliar with the welfare system of Britain.

I am told many Singaporean and possibly other Asian politicians think it is just a means of handing money out to people who simply don't want to work which of course is utter rubbish. My cynical view these problems will always exist nearly everywhere, worse in some places than others.

Plavt.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 2:14 am

Plavt wrote:That is indeed a tragic incident and I understand the points you are trying to get across. However, I feel it is very difficult to mention the UK systems as most Singaporeans are unfamiliar with the welfare system of Britain.

I am told many Singaporean and possibly other Asian politicians think it is just a means of handing money out to people who simply don't want to work which of course is utter rubbish. My cynical view these problems will always exist nearly everywhere, worse in some places than others.

Plavt.

Yes you are quite right, however I was just venting my own frustrations, I don't totally agree, with welfare systems, because I do see the mass abuse in UK.
However my point is, that there must be other ways, or channels, to safe guard, the disadvantaged.

In UK we see many disadvantage walk the streets, not becuase, they don't qualify for help, but basically because they are so low in literacy, and have difficulty filling in all the forms, not only that, but one is also put through a gruelling one to one meeting with a unqualified social worker. The only person you get to see, is the very unhelpful employee at a glass cage, who doesn't care a damn, about your circumstance.

I do in fact know a few, alcoholics from the housing estate were i was raised, are getting 200 pounds a week and free rent. which is totally disgusting, becuase they have no poverty need, only a drink need. It seems to me that if you don't lie and cheat you get nothing, So what UK have actually done with their welfare system, was to raise a race of liars and cheaters.

Lancaster is one of the labour Cities of manual workers, with most housing belonging to Council , I know 18 year olds, living in 2 bed roomed, housing, this 18 year old is now in a relationship with a 45 yr old taxi driver, who is also an ex con.

The girl gets full disabilities allowance, plus mobility, for being nuts! Yet this guy is going to marry the dragon, he tells me she is nuts, but never takes her medication, goes to bingo 3 times a week, and and has him arrested if he doesn't do as he is told.

Now I unfortuanetly because i am raised in this terrible area, I get to know everything, all the taxi drivers don't declare tax, because they are also on the dole.

My main point is that the UK have encouraged the lieing and cheating ever since welfare was brought in, why in hell do they continue it, it is no doubt politics. but one thing for sure, is the people that are truley entitled fall through the net, becuase of pride, or they are not going to lie. But you have plenty of workers, that don't pay tax, are prepared to lie and cheat, to get extra benefit.

The civil service is mostly to blame for all the mess, in the whole country, and I have personally washed my hands with UK.

I detest the system, when I see my brother -in-law, who has worked for the same Company for 28 years, taking home 300 pound a week has the only manager, having paid 100 pound in tax and insurance, and he points out to me 10 families in the cul-de-sac, mostly single parent familes, with loads of kids, working on the side, taking 400 pound a week in benefits, with the money they make on the side.

I'm sorry but my respect for the UK, is totally out of the window, I would just love to see the system, totally turned round, with no welfare system, but those in real need looked after, this can be done, the same as it can be done here. Here in Singapore are places of help, like salvation army and other religious organisations,. but the poor know nothing, they are not informed that places exsist, or are to handicapped to understand, what to do.

It looks like this is one of those cases, but the people of Singapore have pulled through and donated enough, that she will not have to worry for the rest of her life, about herself or her children, providing the money is managed properly for her.