Singapore Expats Forum

have anybody swimming fron Singapore to johor bahru??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

kying

have anybody swimming fron Singapore to johor bahru??

Postby kying » Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:55 pm

Hi

Have anybody swimming from Singapore to Johor Bahru or vice versa?

i want do it someday :)

cheers

jhouse
Regular
Regular

Postby jhouse » Thu, 26 Oct 2006 2:25 pm

well..

before you go for it, do keep the authority from each side inform...
Have anybody swimming from Singapore to Johor Bahru or vice versa
yes.. the illegal immigrants had tried before,, and were caught and deported

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Oct 2006 4:00 pm

Those that didn't drown that is....... [-o<

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: have anybody swimming fron Singapore to johor bahru??

Postby ksl » Thu, 26 Oct 2006 4:34 pm

kying wrote:Hi

Have anybody swimming from Singapore to Johor Bahru or vice versa?

i want do it someday :)

cheers

You have to be kidding, the currents around here will just sweap you away, if you don't do your home work.

Long ago, I helped to rescue a family with 2 children, in the kota tinge area, I was standing only knee deap, when i was dragged off my feet, literally.

I almost drowned that day, swimming against the current, and being bounced off the sea bed, with a kid on my back, the conventional method of rescue was hopeless, and if i had have relaxed and gone with the flow, i would have been swept out to sea, in a matter of minutes.

These are very dangerous waters i believe.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby toygirl » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 7:37 pm

One word.

CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 9:04 pm

Just for information purposes, a number of years ago I did some stunt work for the then SBC (MediaCorp). I took a 10 metre freefall over the railing on an oiltanker in the anchorage for a fight scene in a Mandarin Drama serial here. The current during the tidal change is approximately 4 knots. You can swim against it for about 2 or 3 minutes and barely hold you place but that's about it. For me it was okay as they had one of the old wooden lighters (bumboat) from which one of the camera angles were shot from to pick me up. As a diver, I was a pretty strong swimmer but no way are you going to manage that.

Actually, reflecting on the original post, yes the swim could be done easily I believe. I'm sitting here thinking about the south side of the island. JB is the north side. #-o :oops!: I would think you would only need permission from both sides for immigration purpose. There is little if any current between Singapore and JB due to the Causeway blocking the majority of the flow of water.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:51 pm

Let's see, if I were to do it I would tie a lightweight harness to myself and have a heavyweight friend hold the other end and walk along the pedestrian part of the causeway, as a safety measure. But that's just me.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 28 Oct 2006 4:41 am

toygirl wrote:One word.

CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i look back on it, yes it was, even though I am a good swimmer, i was very lucky to survive, yet the boy on my back was just fine, he could stand up and walk away, I just fell into a heap on the ground.

One must have great respect for water, and always get the locals knowledge of the area, before swimming, a underwater current, can just pull you straight down, like a feather and you can do nothing, in fact it is best to swim with it, not fight it.

Mind you SMS is the one to brief you on water!

Shadou
Regular
Regular

Postby Shadou » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:08 pm

This has got to be the dumbest question I have ever heard asked on this forum. Can you swim between Singapore and JB?? Sure. If you have a death wish, want to be picked up by the police and arrested and if you want to get terribly ill from the polluted water. By all means, go for it then!! What fool would ever want to do such a thing?? Obviously the original poster.

Good luck if you ever wish to attempt such a fete.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:21 pm

Shadou wrote:This has got to be the dumbest question I have ever heard asked on this forum. Can you swim between Singapore and JB?? Sure. If you have a death wish, want to be picked up by the police and arrested and if you want to get terribly ill from the polluted water. By all means, go for it then!! What fool would ever want to do such a thing?? Obviously the original poster.

Good luck if you ever wish to attempt such a fete.

To me it's no dumber than base jumping. The water in the Johor strait isn't really all that polluted (not like "Fragrant Harbour" in HK :( ) I've gone swimming in it literally hundreds of times from Sembawang park. What death wish? It's only 1100 meters across the causeway (not even 3/4 of a mile). As pointed out, all that would be needed is permission from the authorities from both sides before attempting it. Just don't try doing it at night without lighting and a backup boat! :cool:

kying

Postby kying » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:19 pm

Thanks to all for the INFO :) , so i only need a valid passport to stay in malaysia and singapore to do it and caution about currents

cheers

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:27 pm

kying wrote:Thanks to all for the INFO :) , so i only need a valid passport to stay in malaysia and singapore to do it and caution about currents

cheers

And a lot of coordination between two governments! And Singapore/Malaysia cooperation isn't always that good if you read the news. You would need written permission and probably authorities from both sides monitoring the event from start to finish.

sms