Singapore Expats

Japanese Make-up brands

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
lilyjules

Japanese Make-up brands

Post by lilyjules » Sun, 15 Oct 2006 9:42 pm

so was playing around with the japanese brands in the store today, and wasn't sure the differences between the brands. all seemed the same size and the same price, but wasn't sure the quality? shu umera, anna sui, shesheido, kose were the ones i experimented with. anyone use any of them? enlighten me please!!! :) thanks

Mara

Post by Mara » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:20 am

Hi! Lived in Japan for 6 years, but have just recently dipped my fingers into their make-up.

First of all, Japanese brands are mostly high-quality. They live for nothing but making their products the best. So if you notice, their powders are very very fine and made of the most recent, cutting-edge researched results in the market. The colors are also always the newest as nowadays, the west keeps a close eye on the Japanese market and follow suit.

As for colors, lipsticks, eye shadows, I am not very particular unless I like the color. You could use any brand, western or Japanese...it really is just a matter of knowing what goes with you and the colors you want.

As for skin care tho, I like Shiseido.

Shu Uemura and Shiseido are the higher end ones with higher-end marketing/positioning, while Kose is a little less prestigious, yet quality-oriented.

Shu Uemura is known for their brushes, colors and make-up removers. Shiseido is very well known for their skin care line.

Hope this helps...I would buy Japanese...

lilyjules

powder and foundation

Post by lilyjules » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:40 am

do you happen to know which makes the "best" etc., or are they all similar? seem to be similar price point (all 3) and look ok on my western skin (felt very light/fine compared to european brands). is there a real difference, or just which packaging you like! :)

kyotobaby

Post by kyotobaby » Fri, 20 Oct 2006 2:00 pm

hi, there's no BEST thing in this world, what maybe best to her maynot be best for me vice versa. All up to individual preferences. I'm also a japanese cosmetic lover and all the cosmetics i use are japanese brands and the only non-japanese brand is my lancome mascara, hahaha.
Japan has lots of good quality cosmetics, of course got bad ones as well, just need to choose and try out. If u need recommendation, u can email to me. [email protected]

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 20 Oct 2006 2:54 pm

Mara wrote: The colors are also always the newest as nowadays, the west keeps a close eye on the Japanese market and follow suit.
Could you elaborate as I love to talk skincare and cosmetic? Most of my makeup are either Japanese or Korean as I love their colors. I have been to many cosmetic counters in USA including Bare Essentials, Mac, Clinique find their colors to too dark for my taste. The color range hardly looked Japanese to me. I gave up and either stock up when back in SG or look for Asian outlets that carry Japanese brands.

OP, you should try out the different colors / brand yourself and see what you like best.

Shu is known for their excellent quality and exorbitant price. I never used their products but heard they have excellent face powder. Shesiedo's color tend to be more mature-looking as opposed to Kose, which is more about kawaii (cute and sweet) look. I think Kanebo and Kate falls somewhere in between. My favourite is Kose because that's the kind of look that appeals to me. Or you can start off with drug store brand like Fasio and Cancan.

lilyjules

Post by lilyjules » Fri, 20 Oct 2006 7:36 pm

anyone try KOSE or SHEISHIDO powder foundations? do they work as well as liquid foundation plus powder? not a lot of blemishes or scars or anything, just want to make skin all one tone (i have sensitive skin, so tends to get red easily).

thanks!

kyotobaby

Post by kyotobaby » Fri, 20 Oct 2006 8:11 pm

personally i'm a big fan of Raycious, being using their products for many many years already. Long lasting radiant, i dun need touchups at all, only one application dats it despite the hot humid weather here in sinfgapore. My face looks radiant the whole day. Japanese foudnations are well known for their fine powder and smooth texture. If you ever use a cheap foundation before you know what i mean, the face looks cakey after application but never with good and high quality japanese foundations. Revue was my 1st foundation then i went on to Rutina and Raycious until now and i have no intention to switch brand after using for all these years.

of course if u buy cheap ones u get cheap quality, all products are like dat, what u pay is what u get. Raycious is a big investment yet worth every single cent. Go for the smooth coat base and 2 way cake. Another reason i like japanese foundation is bcos they have many yellow tones which are meant for asian skins, not like european brands which are very light and looks very unnatural on my face.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:13 am

lilyjules wrote:anyone try KOSE or SHEISHIDO powder foundations? do they work as well as liquid foundation plus powder? not a lot of blemishes or scars or anything, just want to make skin all one tone (i have sensitive skin, so tends to get red easily).

thanks!
Are you referring to 2-way cake, which can be used both wet and dry? I have used both brand and they are excellent. I have switched to Korean brand for now. I generally prefer Kose over Shesiedo. Kose 2 way cake gives me porcelain-looking skin. However, many of my friends like Shesiedo. Do you use makeup base? It works as a nice barrier to protect sensitive skin like mine. Kose makeup base is wonderful. It is light and transparent.

I, too, have extremely sensitive skin. It turns red very easily, gets irritably with most skincare brand I tried.