Singapore Expats Forum

Child Citizenship/PR question

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
munchkin

Child Citizenship/PR question

Post by munchkin » Sun, 15 Oct 2006 8:28 pm

Hi,
I am Singaporean and my husband is American and a PR here. We're expecting our 1st child (son) in a few months.

A few mind boggling questions:-

1) Will son automatically be Singapore citizen because Mother is?
2) or Will he automatically be PR because of Father?
3) Most importantly, will he have to serve National Service because of either parents' status... and any known way to get out of NS?

We're going to find out more from the American Embassy and Singapore Immigration but wanted to know if anyone has any input/add'l info on the above.

Greatly appreciated!

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 15 Oct 2006 9:06 pm

1) Yes, but only if born in Singapore. Many mixed couples give birth elsewhere to avoid this.
2) No. But approval is more or less automatic if you apply.
3) Yes, if he's a citizen or PR. The ways to get out of this are to either opt for PR and leave Singapore before 16.5 years, or not get PR at all and stay on a Dependent's Pass.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

munchkin

Post by munchkin » Sun, 15 Oct 2006 9:16 pm

Hi jpatokal...

That's a bummer if he'll auto become citizen becoz of me, the mom.
I thought perhaps he may have minor citizen option because father is american... usually the father status overrides the mom!

Will look into this more with the embassy/SIR.

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 1

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 1:21 am

munchkin,

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but JP is correct. If a child is born to a Singaporean mother in Singapore the child will be a Singaporean Citizen by birth with no way out regardless of the sex.

The only way is to birth the baby outside of the country. The child is allowed to have dual citizenship up to the age of 21 when he "should" renounce one according to Singapore Law. (slight change of wording from old) Of course, NS will already have been completed by then. The other way of course is to have him leave the country prior to I believe his 11th birthday and renounce his citizenship.

I am also an American with a Singaporean Wife and have been here 24+ years, 2 kids - the youngest is 17 and will be going into NS in about 11 months. Both him and I see eye to eye, I will not force my beliefs on him - he has to live his own life. (That said, I have to admit I'm glad of the choice he made - His morals and mine are the same.)

You and your husband have a lot to talk about and little time to do so.

munchkin

Post by munchkin » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:44 am

Hi sundaymorningstaple,
Thank you very much for confirming this. I just spoke to Mindef, Embassy & SIR... Mindef was the most helpful and this was what I gathered...

Lady said son can defer NS service to a later age due to school and then renounce citizenship at 21 so that'll avoid doing it. However, future PR application may be affected. And even if his PR gets approved after that, he would still have to serve NS because he would be 2nd generation PR as father is 1st generation.

Another way if he renounced would be if he marries a Singaporean lady later on, who can sponsor him as a PR. But that's subject to approval. If sponsorship gets approved, then he doesn't need to do NS.

We're torn... serving 2 years NS vs. paying US taxes for the rest of your life! Hmmm....

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 5:15 pm

I'd suggest giving birth overseas just to keep your options open: that'll give you a good 10-15 years to choose what to do, and who knows how things will change or where you will be by then. The thing is, if you do get the Sing citizenship for him now, it's very hard to get rid of, whereas if he so chooses later it's comparatively easy to convert a PR into citizenship.

munchkin

Post by munchkin » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 5:40 pm

Hi again, jpatokal...

Yeah, that'll be ideal but unfortunately doesn't seem like a favorable option now. I'm due in barely 4 months. It's a massive decision to move, find medical support, paper work etc and be away from family since this is my first birth, scary as it already is and I prob have to fly out soon before the airline cut off date!

Well, will have to give it more thought and do more research. Thanks again very much for your input. Not sure if we're just over worrying about the future here!

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:03 am

You don't need to fly to KL, it's just a few hours' drive away and there are reasonably competent hospitals there.