Singapore Expats Forum

Divorce in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Postby Grim Reaper » Wed, 18 Oct 2006 5:22 pm

Jumpshift wrote:Subsequently, my wife did a u-turn at last minute, and accepted "legal separation" (as the lawyers define it, meaning leaving separately and consulting appointed marriage counsellor on particular intervals). I understand this is a 'requirement' of Singapore divorce (?) - to be separated and counselled for a couple of years before the actual divorce. Happily, I can say that this year we decided that we can reconcile back again.

I hope the above can give you some insight, while it may not be exactly your situation.

No, this is not a requirement, it all depends on the reason / motivation for divorce and the duration of the marriage.

There are several reasons for an instant divorce, for example "unreasonable behaviour" or others, but I assume this is not the time nor the moment to go into more details, just pointing out it is not a requirement.
Time will come....

jpatokal

Re: Divorce in Singapore

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:53 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:...I have just lost my job...

This is what I read JP?

Read on to the OP's next message:

...Should the PR papers come through befor my final day at work (a couple of months away)

So, to make this nice and sparkling clear, the OP has been informed that his employment will be terminated, but at this precise moment he is still employed and will continue to be so for "a couple of months". Hence all the info he filled out on his application is still true at the moment.

To give another example, I've applied for a credit card after handing in my resignation at a job. The application form asked me where I am working, what my salary is, etc, and all my answers were perfectly correct and true -- they did not ask, nor did they need to know, that in a few months' time I would no longer be working there.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague