Singapore Expats Forum

Discovery Inventions

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Discovery Inventions

Postby ksl » Thu, 12 Oct 2006 5:59 pm

Strangely enough, I had this idea of experimenting, with a plant, i had a weired feeling that a certain plant could be used commercially to produce something useful to the community.

I thought if i tried to give this plant something the plant may react, and it did.

I have been on wikipedia, to read about the plant I used, but nothing of great value turned up in relation to commercial use of the plant.

I was quite shocked the next morning when I awoke and looked at the reaction and belive there is something very specific that may be used.

But not knowing so much about biochemistry or agricultral chemistry, how can one evaluate the substance, that was produced by the reaction, and how does one protect the discovery, if one doesn't know, what one has discovered. :???: Am I making any sense here :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Oct 2006 6:06 pm

I would suspect that first of all you need to find out if you have actually discovered anything at all. I mean something that hasn't already been "discovered". I would say that you would have to first take the resultant compound (slime, growth, mold, or whatever) and have it analyzed for it's actual chemical compound makeup and cross reference it with a database (don't have a clue as to where or who or what here - just guessing). It may already occur naturally somewhere - if it does, doubt if you could patent a chemical reaction that may occur that way. If it is producing a genetically modified plant then who knows? I mean, who knows, you can buy dress shirts in the philippines made out of bananas soooooo.......

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I would suspect that first of all you need to find out if you have actually discovered anything at all. I mean something that hasn't already been "discovered". I would say that you would have to first take the resultant compound (slime, growth, mold, or whatever) and have it analyzed for it's actual chemical compound makeup and cross reference it with a database (don't have a clue as to where or who or what here - just guessing). It may already occur naturally somewhere - if it does, doubt if you could patent a chemical reaction that may occur that way. If it is producing a genetically modified plant then who knows? I mean, who knows, you can buy dress shirts in the philippines made out of bananas soooooo.......

Thanks SMS I'll look into it, I can't find anything on the internet of the plant reacting to water like this did, over night, it just turned the water into a clear soft solid, Just like clear glue. or agar :???: I'll keep looking on the net for a while.