Singapore Expats

Driving Requirements in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:13 am

Question about converting a driving licene witin 12 months.

Is this 12 months from when I first set foot in Singapore, or is it 12 months from when I officially start working here i.e. the date my employment pass was issued ??

Either way, think I need to get off my fat asss and get this done soon !

soundmeister

@louy

Post by soundmeister » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 3:58 pm

Converting your foreign driving license is the easiest thing in the world. Though it says "within 12 months", I am pretty sure you will be able to convert it anyway if you are still on an EP. Authorities here are quite reasonable- they will hear you out and will accede to your request if you have a convincing reason (e.g. you had a chauffer-driven limo but can't afford now in recession ;))

All you have to do is pass a basic theory test (BTT) which you need to take an appointment for at one of the 3 driving centres across Singapore. It is a 50-question multiple-choice test that you have to take at one of the centre's computers- resulta are instantaneous and you just stroll over to the counter afterwards and tell them you have passed and they will mail across your swanky new D/L. For $22 you get one shot at a practice test as well included, but don't worry- I missed the practice because of flu and still sailed through the BTT. You can get a handbook covering the basics at any book store for $5 or so, the rest is pretty much commonsense. The questions are slightly tricky and there's a 90% cutoff, but read the handbook well and stay calm- should not be a problem!

As opposed to conversion, I've heard getting a driving license the normal way is a giant pain- you have to appear for two theory tests and one practical; and God forbid you flunk, there are some mighty expensive refresher courses they make you take!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re:

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 8:00 am

Kenyon wrote:The ‘Probation’ plate requirement is not to punish you; it is for your own safety. It gives an early warning to other motorists to allow you more road space to manoeuvre and to be more tolerant and forgiving to you as you pick up additional road skills and experience. At the end of your 1-year probation period, please remember to remove the ‘Probation’ plates.
Why are you dredging up old posts and posting from Indore, India?

skyblue_77

Post by skyblue_77 » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 5:30 pm

achauhan wrote:Hi, there!

We are a family moving to Singapore in July from Africa and I am not sure if I would really need the car or if public transport is good enough.

Secondly, I do not know how to drive. If I was to take driving lessons in singapore, how much is it going to cost me?
Please advice.
It will depend if you choose between Private or School. And also the non-peak or peak hours when learning.

63n1

Class 2 license

Post by 63n1 » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:06 pm

I have already passed my BTT, but due to a multitude of unfortunate events, haven't applied for a driving license yet. Lack of time, system down at the traffic police office (I didn't think these things could happen in Singapore :o ), etc etc...

I used to ride a 500 cc motorbike back in my home country (for almost 5 years). Would it be possible to convince the authorities to issue me a Class 2 license, instead of 2B? Do I have to necessarily produce documents testifying my ownership of a >400cc motorbike? Cuz I don't have any on me right now. My current license is about 10 years old; would this be convincing enough?

Don't really see myself puttering around in a <200 cc bike for a year and a <400 cc bike for another year :cry:

x9200

Re: Class 2 license

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:44 pm

63n1 wrote:I have already passed my BTT, but due to a multitude of unfortunate events, haven't applied for a driving license yet. Lack of time, system down at the traffic police office (I didn't think these things could happen in Singapore :o ), etc etc...

I used to ride a 500 cc motorbike back in my home country (for almost 5 years). Would it be possible to convince the authorities to issue me a Class 2 license, instead of 2B? Do I have to necessarily produce documents testifying my ownership of a >400cc motorbike? Cuz I don't have any on me right now. My current license is about 10 years old; would this be convincing enough?
Your foreign license should be valid and clearly indicate that you are allowed to ride such bikes. That's it. It has nothing to do with the ownership.

63n1

Post by 63n1 » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 1:22 pm

Damn!! My license doesn't have a classification (for motorbikes) like they have in Singapore... Well, so be it then... 2B...

Thnx for the reply nevertheless...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 2:05 pm

63n1 wrote:Damn!! My license doesn't have a classification (for motorbikes) like they have in Singapore... Well, so be it then... 2B...

Thnx for the reply nevertheless...
[..] Edited this part out after reading SE message - yes, indeed only 3, 3a and 2b to go for conversion so it looks like your choice is limited.
Last edited by x9200 on Mon, 05 Oct 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 4:36 pm

I am very surprised that you don't have some kind of motorcycle endorsement on your license. How do they know in your home country you are qualified and licensed to ride?

In any event, to get even a 2b, which by law is the only one you can get, regardless of previous licenses held, you must demonstrate that you were licensed for motorcycles in your home country. So, you better get that paperwork ready.

People have been granted unlimited licenses. They are usually older and have many years of riding experience, so even if you do prove up a larger class, it is no guarantee that you will get the unlimited class 2.

The alternative is to buy a big bike and ride it on your current license but again you must prove that you can ride big bikes in order to get insurance. You then ride for multiple months and appeal for a class 2 on the grounds that you have already been riding one.

So, get proof you can ride big bikes. In fact, get proof you can ride bikes at all or you won't even qualify for a class 2b conversion.

63n1

Post by 63n1 » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 6:21 pm

I'm sorry, but maybe I wasn't very clear. I do have an endorsement on my license for ALL motorcycles. Just that we don't have the 2B, 2A, and 2 classes. It's all one class for motorcycles.

Unfortunately I have been here more than a year already, so cannot use my existing license anymore (by extension, cannot get a big bike).

Why am I asking about motorcycle licenses now, as opposed to as soon as I landed here? I don't know :cry: Maybe I was happy riding the MRT and buses all this while. Not anymore though...

shalamazoo

Re: @louy

Post by shalamazoo » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 1:15 am

soundmeister wrote:Converting your foreign driving license is the easiest thing in the world. Though it says "within 12 months", I am pretty sure you will be able to convert it anyway if you are still on an EP. Authorities here are quite reasonable- they will hear you out and will accede to your request if you have a convincing reason (e.g. you had a chauffer-driven limo but can't afford now in recession ;))

All you have to do is pass a basic theory test (BTT) which you need to take an appointment for at one of the 3 driving centres across Singapore. It is a 50-question multiple-choice test that you have to take at one of the centre's computers- resulta are instantaneous and you just stroll over to the counter afterwards and tell them you have passed and they will mail across your swanky new D/L. For $22 you get one shot at a practice test as well included, but don't worry- I missed the practice because of flu and still sailed through the BTT. You can get a handbook covering the basics at any book store for $5 or so, the rest is pretty much commonsense. The questions are slightly tricky and there's a 90% cutoff, but read the handbook well and stay calm- should not be a problem!

As opposed to conversion, I've heard getting a driving license the normal way is a giant pain- you have to appear for two theory tests and one practical; and God forbid you flunk, there are some mighty expensive refresher courses they make you take!
I am coming from the states, in a earlier post it say i need to visit AAA to apply for a Intl license?? is that true? and then still take the basic theory test (BTT) afterward??

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 1:46 am

shalamazoo wrote:I am coming from the states, in a earlier post it say i need to visit AAA to apply for a Intl license?? is that true? and then still take the basic theory test (BTT) afterward??
International license not needed... waste of time and money.

Must take BTT.

shalamazoo

Post by shalamazoo » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 1:54 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
shalamazoo wrote:I am coming from the states, in a earlier post it say i need to visit AAA to apply for a Intl license?? is that true? and then still take the basic theory test (BTT) afterward??

Must take BTT.
Kool, I just call AAA and its 15 USD for the Intl License and 12 USD for photos, so i just need to take the basic theory test (BTT) and i can drive?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 9:24 pm

shalamazoo wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Must take BTT.
Kool, I just call AAA and its 15 USD for the Intl License and 12 USD for photos, so i just need to take the basic theory test (BTT) and i can drive?
You will need to

a) Pass the BTT
b) Have your passport, EP
c) Have your foreign driving license and if it doesn't show when you got it you need to get an extract from the DL records bureau.
d) Photos - can take at DL centers
e) Money

Actually, you can drive for up to 12 months on your foreign license... just be sure to get registered for BTT before 12 months is up. This is one way to get more than a 2b if you are also motorcycle licensed.

rachelsyuan

Post by rachelsyuan » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 3:03 pm

Is a Singapore driving license valid in the United States?