Singapore Expats

Driving Requirements in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Driving Requirements in Singapore

Post by joop » Tue, 10 Oct 2006 2:41 pm

Legal Requirement

Driving Licence

To drive a vehicle in Singapore, you must possess a valid Singapore driving licence for the class of vehicle that you want to drive. This requirement applies to all citizens and permanent residents of Singapore and also foreigners who are residing in Singapore for more than twelve (12) months. Foreigners who reside here for less than twelve (12) months must possess a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by an authorised body in their country of origin e.g. the Automobile Association (AA). If an International Driving Permit is not available, an official translation of your foreign licence in English is required. In the case of ASEAN nationals, you must possess a valid driving licence issued by the proper authority in your country, before you are allowed to drive in Singapore.

CLASSES OF DRIVING LICENCE

The Singapore driving licence is categorised based on the following classification of Motor Vehicles:

Class 1 : Invalid Carriages

Class 2B : Motorcycles <200> 400 cc

Class 3A : i) Motor Cars without clutch pedals <= 3000 kg <= 7 passengers, aaaaaaaaaaa exclusive of the driver;
Class 3AA : ii) and Motor Tractors and other Motor Vehicles without clutch pedals
aaaaaaaaaaa of unladen weight <= 2500 kg.

Class 3 : i) Motor Cars <= 3000 kg with <= 7 passengers, exclusive of the driver;
aaaaaaa ii) and Motor Tractors and other Motor Vehicles <2500> 2500 kg.

Class 5 : Motor Vehicles not constructed to carry any load and the unladen
aaaaaaa weight > 7250 kg.

TRAFFIC PERMITS

There are various types of traffic permits that you need to apply before you can use your vehicle on the road. For example, vehicle with load exceeding certain height, vehicle overhang exceeds certain length or transportation of excluded vehicle along expressways. This is to ensure the safety of other road users. It is an offence to use the road without a permit.

Source: http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... galreq.htm
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Graham Birch

Owning a Car in Singapore

Post by Graham Birch » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 7:57 pm

We are looking into emigrating to Singapore and wondered about driving in the City. We heard when we were there in the Summer, that you have to pay about £6,000 to have a licence to own a car, before you even buy one. Is that true for Expats or Singaporeans only? I know that you can only have a car of a certain age in Singapore, but I need to have more information as we are trying to put together what our outgoings would be. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Graham & Lisa Birch

jpatokal

Re: Owning a Car in Singapore

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 5:05 pm

Graham Birch wrote:We are looking into emigrating to Singapore and wondered about driving in the City. We heard when we were there in the Summer, that you have to pay about £6,000 to have a licence to own a car, before you even buy one. Is that true for Expats or Singaporeans only?
True for everybody, and £6,000 probably isn't going to be enough (the permits are auctioned and prices vary from year to year). Try a search for "Certificate of Entitlement" or "COE".
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

achauhan

Post by achauhan » Sun, 20 May 2007 3:15 pm

Hi, there!

We are a family moving to Singapore in July from Africa and I am not sure if I would really need the car or if public transport is good enough.

Secondly, I do not know how to drive. If I was to take driving lessons in singapore, how much is it going to cost me?
Please advice.
Friendly Pebble

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Sat, 02 Jun 2007 5:00 pm

I am also looking for the driving instructors here.
Can anybody help with useful numbers (except Comfort driving centre please)? :D

achauhan
if I would really need the car or if public transport is good enough.
Public transport is very good here. Probably you will even not need a car.
I need 'cause I need to take my kid to kindergarten and back home and the place is pretty far from my home, there is no schoolbus provided.
If I was to take driving lessons in singapore, how much is it going to cost me?
Roughly:
manual car - SGD25-35 per hour
auto car - SGD 35-50 per hour
Experience is not what happens to you,
It's what you do with what happens to you.

SingaporeNetizen

Post by SingaporeNetizen » Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:45 am

There are 2 kinds of license for driving a car in Singapore

Class 3 - Manual & Auto Cars
Class 3A - Auto Cars only

To get a license, first you need to pass your theory assessments
More info

For learning to drive in auto car in driving schools, cost is around $60 SGD to $70 SGD for 100 minutes. You need to clear through different stages of learning before you are able to take the final practical assessment to get your license.
Course fees

There are cheaper alternatives which is to seek certified private trainers which I will not recommend here.

To purchase a car, you need to buy a "piece of paper" called COE for around SGD 11,000 to 20,000 depending on your luck and timing.
Latest COE Price

Taking taxi or renting vehicle in Singapore might be more cheaper

Please advertise your website using the classified section of this site. It's free. Alternatively you may place a link to your site in your signature only.

Yaatri

Post by Yaatri » Wed, 03 Oct 2007 7:40 pm

SingaporeNetizen wrote:There are 2 kinds of license for driving a car in Singapore

Class 3 - Manual & Auto Cars
Class 3A - Auto Cars only

To get a license, first you need to pass your theory assessments
More info

For learning to drive in auto car in driving schools, cost is around $60 SGD to $70 SGD for 100 minutes. You need to clear through different stages of learning before you are able to take the final practical assessment to get your license.
Course fees

There are cheaper alternatives which is to seek certified private trainers which I will not recommend here.

To purchase a car, you need to buy a "piece of paper" called COE for around SGD 11,000 to 20,000 depending on your luck and timing.
Latest COE Price

Taking taxi or renting vehicle in Singapore might be more cheaper

Please advertise your website using the classified section of this site. It's free. Alternatively you may place a link to your site in your signature only.

Greetings to every one. My first post here. Does one need to by a COE to buy a motorcycle?
Educated to be a physicist, prostituting as an engineer,

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Oct 2007 8:21 pm

Yaatri wrote:Greetings to every one. My first post here. Does one need to by a COE to buy a motorcycle?
Yes, you need a COE to operate a motorcycle on the road. However, it is significantly cheaper than one for a car. The cost is right around S$700 right now.

Also much cheaper to buy because the purchase tax is 15 percent, not 105 percent like a car.

sin2008

Post by sin2008 » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:18 pm

20k gives you the right to drive, umm, i really like this idea.

I hope it is 20 million, so I don't need to think about it. :shock:

I am from Hong Kong. Based on my research and several trips to singapore, I can safely say, as of now, singapore is much more expensive to live now for a profile like this

1. a family of 3-5, kids goes to International School
2. a flat of 1500-2500 sqf
3. 1-2 cars
4. household earning of 100k to 500k
5. dining out in nice restaurants 1-3 times/week
6. travel 1-3 times overseas per year

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Post by bruinbear » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 5:33 pm

You're saying HK is a cheaper place to live vis-a-vis Singapore? You could be right. I don't know.

doremoo

Post by doremoo » Sun, 22 Jun 2008 2:37 pm

sin2008 wrote:20k gives you the right to drive, umm, i really like this idea.

I hope it is 20 million, so I don't need to think about it. :shock:

I am from Hong Kong. Based on my research and several trips to singapore, I can safely say, as of now, singapore is much more expensive to live now for a profile like this

1. a family of 3-5, kids goes to International School
2. a flat of 1500-2500 sqf
3. 1-2 cars
4. household earning of 100k to 500k
5. dining out in nice restaurants 1-3 times/week
6. travel 1-3 times overseas per year
how do u weight abt more expensive?

I think alot depends on ur lifestyle... is the food n cost of living much cheaper in HK? Pls do enlighten...

jrjrg

Post by jrjrg » Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:21 am

How much do you spend on car maintenance (tax, gas, parking, insurance etc.) per month excluding the initial cost of buying one/installments?

Jens

Post by Jens » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 3:23 pm

jrjrg: How much do you pay for a dinner?

get the picture? Of course it depends on the way u use it. If u park ur car at ur place 24/7 u wont spend much on gas and parking...

HouseRocker

Post by HouseRocker » Mon, 22 Dec 2008 1:58 pm

Singapore is really not very much more expensive place to stay compared to HongKong, in my own opinion. In terms of cash flow, driving in Singapore costs about 1,000 bucks ++/ mth depending on the downpayment & housing (whole house to yourself) is at least about $1,600-2,500 to maintain, depending on location & house type..

Cissiboy

Post by Cissiboy » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 12:24 pm

can u please enlighten me :

I wanna drive a 125cc or 250cc maxiscooter

what do i have to do ?? how many steps to get the licence ? How long ?

sorry for the lazyness but i searched already and it seems to be a long way..